FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBenoit David has left Yes...says Squire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Benoit David has left Yes...says Squire
    Posted: February 06 2012 at 08:45
UPDATE; I'm not sure how reliable this blogspot is but its just says what we already knew was going to happen, that despite yesterdays rebuttal by Jon Davison that his joining the band was only temporary, Chris Squire has seemingly put that idea to bed...Benoit David has left the building!
"

Yes have a new lead singer. Benoit David is out. Jon Davison is in.

Yes

Chris Squire with Yes

“Jon Davison is coming in because of Benoit’s departure. I always hope that when there is a member change in the band that it will be a permanent thing. Only time will tell really”, founding member Chris Squire told Noise11.com this morning.
“I don’t know if I’m meant to be telling you this yet, so I guess you’ve got a scoop,”

Like Benoit David, Jon Davison was discovered fronting a Yes covers band. Benoit had joined Yes after the departure of original singer Jon Anderson. He has been suffering from respiratory failure this year and could not continue on for the Australia tour in April. However, his departure is permanent.

“Yes, he has officially left Yes,” Chris says.

Benoit David joined Yes in 2008. He sings lead on the latest yes album ‘Fly From Here’.

“People have left to go off to do various projects and solo projects over the years,” Chris says. “Some like Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman have left and come back. In Rick’s case, four times. It’s always been a fairly flexible in and out door for some members of the band. At the last count, including Jon Davison, he is the 18th member of the band. It has never been personal problems. It’s just things that happen at certain times”.

Chris says he is still friends with Jon Anderson and in regular communication. “We email each other. We have a cordial relationship,” he says. “He is out there at the moment doing some solo shows. He is a lot healthier now than he was a few years ago when he was suffering from his breathing problems. He is getting back into it. I have never closed the door on working with Jon again. He has left the band before and come back and left it again and come back. It is an unusual situation. We will work together in the future but right now we are promoting the Fly From Here album which is our first studio album in 10 years”.

The Australian setlist will feature the new album plus Yes classics. “We will be doing the new material from the Fly From Here album. It will pretty much the same as the Europe setlist around Christmas time,’ Chris says.

“There are songs from a couple of different eras. The 70s of course, ‘Roundabout’, ‘I’ve Seen All Good People’ are very popular songs as was ‘Starship Trooper’ from ‘The Yes Album’. From ‘Fragile’ there is ‘Heart of the Sunrise’ and sometimes we do ‘Long Distance Runaround’. Then there is the ‘90125’ must which we don’t do that much as we’d probably like to because that was a different guitar player in there, Trevor Rabin. Steve Howe is back in the band. We do a little bit of music from that era, the mid 80s "

This is getting beyond a joke now
YES Recruit New Singer

Prog rock band YES were forced to cancel the last 3 shows of their European Tour in December due to the illness of lead vocalist Benoit David who has still not recovered. To avoid disappointing their fans on the forthcoming Australasian leg of their world tour, they have found a replacement singer.

Jon Davison will join YES as lead vocalist for the upcoming dates in New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Indonesia, and Hawaii. YES really appreciate Jon Davison joining them for this leg of the tour and are sure this arrangement will satisfy all YES fans.

Edited by Harold-The-Barrel - February 08 2012 at 07:12
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
prog4ever View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 09:44
Is this a polite way to say :Bye Bye David It's been fun if not let's call it  the Jon Anderson curse . loll

But seriously Jon Davison any relation to the late Brian Davison of The Nice and Refugee fame? 
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 09:48
I'm sorry but LOL I think I said this was going to happen when there was news about David's illness. Not on this board, though. Beyond a joke, yes.
GoldenGod2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 09:51
Hahahahahahaha wow.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near. - Jim Morrison
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 10:03
I don't see the problem or the joke.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 10:14

Apparently he's the singer in Glass Hammer. I suspect a Jon Anderson plot myself.

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 10:45
On reading this I just listened to Glass Hammer's If, and JD would certainly fit.

His voice is nearer to JA's than Horns' or or David's ever was.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 10:46
-Jon
-David

+Jon Davidson

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 11:44
I'm astonished! I've just listened to Glass Hmmer's IF album with Jon Davison twice, and I can only say that this is the album that Yes should have made years ago.

I've had Glass Hammer filed under 'also ran' for a number of years now, never really paying much attention apart from a cursory listen now and again and then shelving them for some future opportunity.

But 'If' is really something else, and apparently the lyrical content and melodies were left up to JD, and he's made one hell of a grand job of it. It's practically a continuation of their Going For the One era. Fantastic!

Hearing that he might be joining Yes (even temporarily), I can't help thinking that musically it's bound to be a let-down for him, considering Yes' output of the last 15 or so years (except the Ladder. I liked that one).

Got to get Glass hammer's latest album with JD as singer now. can't wait to hear it.

Edited by npjnpj - February 06 2012 at 11:45
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 12:02
Benoit has some serious health issue and can't sing---the tour was booked so why cancel? I heard they were to do summer tour of USA which may or may not happen if Benoit is not all better. By fall ---Howe is with Asia for a 30th anniversary tour so no Yes until 2013----maybe Squire will now have time to tour with Hackett this summer so all's well that ends well ha ha.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 12:29
It wouldn't surprise me if some network were to create a soap opera based upon the comings & goings in Yes.

I genuinely think it's time to call it a day, before they sink into utter embarrassment.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 12:50

Wow...

Nobody wants to sing for Yes anymore.   I wonder if they tapped Roger Hodgeson of supertramp again?

He could use the boost!  HAHA.

listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 12:56
This is how Jon Davison sounds like:

I like his singing better than Benoit's... but Benoit is a great vocalist nonetheless...
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 13:36
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if some network were to create a soap opera based upon the comings & goings in Yes.

I genuinely think it's time to call it a day, before they sink into utter embarrassment.

I once wrote a whodunnit more or less about that subject on PA, some years ago.
I have to update it again, though.
The Yes saga is definitely beyond imagination Smile
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 15:02
I like the last album a lot and still think they make some good prog music (as good or better than a lot of groups out there) and should keep going---they have nothing to be embarrassed about----Maybe the original three should get Moraz back and just tour with special guest vocalists---
Bruno Mars, Annie Lennox, Jon Anderson, Cher, last years runner up on American Idol---whoever---LOL

I mean clearly these Yes songs are blowing out  vocal chords everywhere and maybe one tour is all a singer can take!
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 15:19
Yes is becoming like the good old Soviet Communist Party. When they don't like somebody anymore, they declare him ill and appoint the successor. 
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 15:52
Was I the only one hoping for a Scott Stapp recruitment?
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 16:41
Originally posted by aprusso aprusso wrote:

Yes is becoming like the good old Soviet Communist Party. When they don't like somebody anymore, they declare him ill and appoint the successor. 

Haha, yes. Or I get Godfather associations. "I'm making you an offer you can't refuse."
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 16:59
i wouldn't mind a female vocalist.  at the same time, it's sad to see this.  the live show has been touch and go since the orchestra tour.  i think they should've called it a day after keys.  go out on a high note.  i wonder, how long can these guys keep playing.  i'm 38 and can't imagine flying to australia and putting on a prog rock show, even for one night:)
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 18:54
Apparently there is this guy, Jon Anderson, who sings the songs pretty well and knows "most" of their material. 

Should look 'em up. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>