FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBenoit David has left Yes...says Squire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 20:04
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Apparently there is this guy, Jon Anderson, who sings the songs pretty well and knows "most" of their material. 

Should look 'em up. 

Really! Get Out! LOL
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 20:45

Apparently there is this guy, Jon Anderson, who sings the songs pretty well and knows "most" of their material. 

Should look 'em up. 

I think the boys really tried to work with Jon for years---(and I like Yes with Jon) but it always had to be his way or the highway---he never realized he needed the boys more than they need him---his solo stuff suffers from lack of Howe, Squire and White--it's rambling and self indulgent and tiresome---whereas Fly from here has some good stuff on it. And overall is a pretty good record.  Is it In the Presence of....No...but it took a long time for Jon to come up with something as good as that...the rest has been really hit or miss for a long time.
Zombiezilla View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 22:13
Word is that they DID contact Anderson, and he turned them down for the time being. There is no word as to if his "no" extends to forever, or just until this tour is done. They are touring in support of Fly From Here, and there is no way Anderson would sing the material, one would figure.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 22:38
Originally posted by Zombiezilla Zombiezilla wrote:

Word is that they DID contact Anderson, and he turned them down for the time being. There is no word as to if his "no" extends to forever, or just until this tour is done. They are touring in support of Fly From Here, and there is no way Anderson would sing the material, one would figure.

Yeah--that's an unconfirmed rumor---seems unlikely they'd invite him back and unlikely he'd accept a big tour of Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, etc. considering his health----but eventually we will find out---another unconfirmed report is Benoit quit the band for good----if that is true it will be interesting to know why---maybe non-stop life on the road was not for him. Who knows?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 22:44
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I genuinely think it's time to call it a day, before they sink into utter embarrassment.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 22:51
I'm in Australia and plan on going to the Melbourne show, must say I'd love it if they could drag all of the Glass Hammer along to play the support slot!
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 03:21
It's not Yes without Benoit David   LOL
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 03:43
Perfect. Now they just need to find somebody named Erson to get involved somehow and we'll have the ideal Yes lineup!

Edited by Harry Hood - February 07 2012 at 03:44
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 07:35
Jon Davison is a good singer.  GH sounded so like Yes it wasn't true on their last two albums.  A good move for both the band and him.  
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 08:30
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

It's not Yes without Benoit David   LOL

hilarious!!

ironically, this thread has got me checking out GH seriously.  last i heard from them was Chronometry years ago.  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 09:44
Amazing!  I pointed out Jon Davison's talents on PA back when the Benoit announcement was first made....this is likely to give Yes a new shot in the arm, as Benoit was, well, pathetic in the extreme (although he twirled nicely onstage). 

Davison posted this to the Glass Hammer Facebook page:

----------

I wish to sincerely thank you for all your support these past years since I’ve been a member of Glass Hammer. It’s been such a joy sharing the magic of music with you. 

In light of the news revealed yesterday about my singing for Yes on their upcoming tour, I felt it important to communicate with all of you that though I'm grateful and excited for this amazing opportunity, it will not jeopardize my involvement with Glass Hammer in any way. I plan to steadfastly and enthusiastically continue with Steve, Fred, and Alan and I’m looking forward to tracking in May for the new album. 

Thanks again! :::Jon:::

-------

Here's a bit of Davison with the Yes tribute band "Roundabout," I think his similarity to Jon Anderson's voice is uncanny....

ps. edited to change Jon's name to the proper "Davison" from "Davidson!"  Sorry 'bout that, Jon!  Rock on, man, enjoy the gig!!  

Edited by cstack3 - February 07 2012 at 19:59
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 09:45
Originally posted by Harold-The-Barrel Harold-The-Barrel wrote:

This is getting beyond a joke now

Dear Harold,

Please don't jump, everything will be ok with YES.

My favourite band is YES, hands down, I have not missed a show since 1977. (1980 i was in bootcamp, sorry...)

I know that many YES fans can't stand anybody but Jon A. in YES, ok... for them nothing will satisfy...

However, Jon Davidson will be just dandy.  Please feel free to get Glass Hammer - If or the new Glass Hammer - Cor Corundum (spelling???).  He has an angel's voice, clarion clear, sharp and pitch perfect.  I can't imagine a better choice
and a big upgrade from B. David ( I like BD, by the way...)

Please check out the 2 Glass Hammer CDs, then reply back!

Anybody who doesn't know Jon Davison is in for a treat.

P.S.  Jon Davison's voice is AWESOME (As I am not a fan of his "preaching" in Glass Hammer, I am NO fanboy of his,
but I gotta give the man props for his "pipes")
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 10:13
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I think the boys really tried to work with Jon for years---(and I like Yes with Jon) but it always had to be his way or the highway---he never realized he needed the boys more than they need him---his solo stuff suffers from lack of Howe, Squire and White--it's rambling and self indulgent and tiresome---whereas Fly from here has some good stuff on it. ...but it took a long time for Jon to come up with something as good as that...the rest has been really hit or miss for a long time.

@Horizons: Apparently there is this thing called money, I doubt B.D. was getting a full share and I guess that Alan,
Steve & Chris got most $$$ as keyboardist & singer got a road share (If anybody knows otherwise, please straighten me out here!)  So getting JA would mean a big financial change and perhaps JA would want more than the others??? As I love JA dearly and there is no YES magic quite like his in the band, he does bring problems that blind JA fans just do not wish to consider.  A big one is his refusal to sing a LOT of YES music...Also not sure if JA's health would allow all the flights from California to Austrailia and such... Yet, I still dream of a YES & JA tour before it is too late.  Cheers!

@twosteves, I do LOVE JA but I agree with your above take completely.  "rambling and self indulgent and tiresome" is exactly how I consider his stuff of the last 15 years plus.  I tried to get into his live new CD with Wake-E-Mon and I couldn't.  Too preachy, too simple, no good melodies.  What happened to the magic of Olias???  Ok, now I am phucked, I commited the unthinkable sin, I actually criticized JA.  God help me!   But yeah, you are right about Jon, "hit or miss" I actually love the YES - Fly From Here suite and the last track on the record. Nothing YES has done since Silent Wings of Freedom tops Fly From Here suite, IMHO... I guess I am now 2X damned by the JA worshipers.  Oh dear....

Edited by dennismoore - February 07 2012 at 12:35
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 10:58
There are people blogging who are "in the know" that Benoit was let go because he couldn't write and because his voice live was not consistent----the last is true he was pretty bad live when I saw them last year yet he sounds okay in the new live CD--but maybe that was fixed in studio mix.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 12:22
thanks for the video.  he does sound awesome.  his voice is a true alto like anderson.  david is a tenor at best and had to stretch for the high notes.  btw, jon looks cool as well. and his name is JON!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 12:26
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I think the boys really tried to work with Jon for years---(and I like Yes with Jon) but it always had to be his way or the highway---he never realized he needed the boys more than they need him---his solo stuff suffers from lack of Howe, Squire and White--it's rambling and self indulgent and tiresome---whereas Fly from here has some good stuff on it. ...but it took a long time for Jon to come up with something as good as that...the rest has been really hit or miss for a long time.

@Horizons: Apparently there is this thing called money, I doubt B.D. was getting a full share and I guess that Alan,
Steve & Chris got most $$$ as keyboardist & singer got a road share (If anybody knows otherwise, please straighten me out here!)  So getting JA would mean a big financial change and perhaps JA would want more than the others??? As I love JA dearly and there is no YES magic quite like his in the band, he does bring problems that blind JA fans just do not wish to consider.  A big one is his refusal to sing a LOT of YES music...Also not sure if JA's health would allow all the flights from California to Austrailia and such... Yet, I still dream of a YES & JA tour before it is too late.  Cheers!

@Seriously, I do LOVE JA but I agree with your above take completely.  "rambling and self indulgent and tiresome" is exactly how I consider his stuff of the last 15 years plus.  I tried to get into his live new CD with Wake-E-Mon and I couldn't.  Too preachy, too simple, no good melodies.  What happened to the magic of Olias???  Ok, now I am phucked, I commited the unthinkable sin, I actually criticized JA.  God help me!   But yeah, you are right about Jon, "hit or miss" I actually love the YES - Fly From Here suite and the last track on the record. Nothing YES has done since Silent Wings of Freedom tops Fly From Here suite, IMHO... I guess I am now 2X damned by the JA worshipers.  Oh dear....

i really like the entire Fly From Here album.  i actually remembered and sung the melodies after hearing it.  benoit sounds fine too.  jon anderson's solo music is new age and not prog.  his last album, survival, has some catchy tunes on it.  he's more of a spiritual figure than a singer/musician these days me thinks.  chris alan and steve will probably die on stage.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 12:51
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

i really like the entire Fly From Here album.  i actually remembered and sung the melodies after hearing it.  benoit sounds fine too.  jon anderson's solo music is new age and not prog.  his last album, survival, has some catchy tunes on it.  he's more of a spiritual figure than a singer/musician these days me thinks.  chris alan and steve will probably die on stage.

Hi zumacraig Smile

You even like that tune "the man you always wanted me to be"?  I heard that Chris Squire co-wrote that with Oprah Winfry...Confused  That one forces me to run & hide under my chair and ponder a vow of listening silence.

Yeah, I agree, JA sees himself as some sort of guru. Since I actually pay $$$ to these artists and buy their CDs/DVDs
I really don't wanna get preached at, plus preachers are all over the TV and will save your soul for free!
Oddly, JA says he has written a prog epic and will have that out soon.  Maybe he gets with YES to complete that piece???

Yes, I thought BD was great on Fly From Here, he is also great on Mystery's - One Among The Living.  I too find
myself singing the melodies of FFH in my head.  Good melodies are back in YES, I say that is a nice return to form.
Waaaay back Jon Anderson said YES was inspired by the harmonies of Vanilla Fudge.  I say harmonies are cool.Big smile

I AM very excited about Jon Davison joining YES for a spell.  I would pay DOUBLE price for a live DVD with Machine Messiah, Astral Traveller and FlyFromHere & Parallels, "Live From Down Under"

Put another shrimp on the barbie, baby!Approve

Edited by dennismoore - February 07 2012 at 12:52
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 16:03
I don't think Yes keeps going for money alone---their music is timeless and there is nothing wrong with wanting to play it into their 80's if they can---jazz and classical artists do---some people in their 60's don't want to stop (sadly Bruford being the exception) ----and Yes want to be a WORKING band---recording every year and touring---they can't do it with Jon unfortunately as he is sorta semi-retired and wants to limit his work load---he works when he wants to or needs some money---Howe and Squire and White want to play and make music and stay alive not retire and stare at a wall.
leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 16:50
My latest post discusses to a point the musical chair situation with the band's singing position.

Enjoy
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 18:36
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Hi zumacraig Smile

You even like that tune "the man you always wanted me to be"?  I heard that Chris Squire co-wrote that with Oprah Winfry...Confused  That one forces me to run & hide under my chair and ponder a vow of listening silence.

Yeah, I agree, JA sees himself as some sort of guru. Since I actually pay $$$ to these artists and buy their CDs/DVDs
I really don't wanna get preached at, plus preachers are all over the TV and will save your soul for free!
Oddly, JA says he has written a prog epic and will have that out soon.  Maybe he gets with YES to complete that piece???

Yes, I thought BD was great on Fly From Here, he is also great on Mystery's - One Among The Living.  I too find
myself singing the melodies of FFH in my head.  Good melodies are back in YES, I say that is a nice return to form.
Waaaay back Jon Anderson said YES was inspired by the harmonies of Vanilla Fudge.  I say harmonies are cool.Big smile

I AM very excited about Jon Davison joining YES for a spell.  I would pay DOUBLE price for a live DVD with Machine Messiah, Astral Traveller and FlyFromHere & Parallels, "Live From Down Under"

Put another shrimp on the barbie, baby!Approve

welcome dennis,

i'm pretty much a newbie here too.  you dream setlist for australia is mine too.  i have to say, seeing them with benoit was fun in that i got to hear tempus fugit.  i would just freak if they played machine messiah or parallels!  hell, how about Release Release!

btw, i love Man You Always Wanted Me To Be.  how can you not love Chris on lead vocal!  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>