Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBenoit David has left Yes...says Squire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 18:37
i hear ya.  i do hope we get a few more albums before the end.  without jon, it seems like chris and steve and alan for that matter, are freed up a bit.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 19:56
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

thanks for the video.  he does sound awesome.  his voice is a true alto like anderson.  david is a tenor at best and had to stretch for the high notes.  btw, jon looks cool as well. and his name is JON!

You are welcome!  Damn, I still keep calling him "Davidson!"  DAVISON!

I enjoy many prog tribute bands, and always saw them as potential talent pools for replacements in the case of some incident (well, Benoit was in a trib band, wasn't he?  Two, if you count Yes!!)

My own nomination went to my chum Steve Carney of UK's "Fragile," he's got quite the Anderson vibe!   Fragile can play anything & have performed TFTO in small venues, quite amazing! 

I think it was Jon Anderson who foresaw Yes as being an entity that could keep going on through history, so Jon Davison's addition may be an evolutionary step.  I never saw Benoit David adding much to the band besides a quick fill-in for Jon Anderson....Lord only knows if he can write, and his stage presence is lacking!  

With time & age, other members of Yes are likely to retire, it is quite a mind game to play to think of potential replacements!  I'd like to see the band rediscover its vibe & keep evolving, and Jon Davison may be the guy to do that.  

As far as inviting Jon Anderson back in, he was pretty emphatic against that when I saw him play "The Voice of Yes" show in Illinois some months back.  I believe he sees his future as teamed with Rick Wakeman and perhaps Trevor Rabin.  Time will tell.  

We could do worse than to have two highly talented bands on the prowl for old and new fans!  I wish Jon Davison and Yes all the best.  Just don't get sick, JD!! 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 20:16
Originally posted by leonalvarado leonalvarado wrote:

My latest post discusses to a point the musical chair situation with the band's singing position.

Enjoy

Nicely done, thank you!  I commented to your blog as well.  You did well to point out that a weekend trib-band vocalist doesn't have the training or stamina to maintain the grind of an international tour, and the collapse of Benoit's windpipes was really to be expected. 

Jon Davison better buy some insurance!!  You don't want to catch a cold with THIS band!  Cheers!  
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 21:43
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Was I the only one hoping for a Scott Stapp recruitment?

I was more hoping for the Nickelback guy
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 08:42
@Harold:

Major thanks for the YES update:  The big thing I read that Chris said:

"We will work together in the future...."

Sounds like great news to having Jon A. back!   JA is legend for his refusal to play any YES he simply doesn't like so its logical for current YES to promote FlyFrom Here, then when that runs its course, have another go with JA!

I just hope JA & YES can come up with something fresh and not recyle the same old tour like they are wont to do.
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
GoldenGod2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 08:46
“Yes, he has officially left Yes,”  LOL
The future's uncertain and the end is always near. - Jim Morrison
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 09:02

your dream setlist for australia is mine too.  i have to say, seeing them with benoit was fun in that i got to hear tempus fugit.  i would just freak if they played machine messiah or parallels!  hell, how about Release Release!

btw, i love Man You Always Wanted Me To Be.  how can you not love Chris on lead vocal!  LOL

Hey Dude,
Right on about Release, Release.  How bout Silent Wings??? And Dear Father & Then?  Yes, the wife & I saw YES
with BD twice and it was fabulous to see Machine Messiah & Tempus Fugit live.  JA simply refuses to sing that stuff.
I always support YES and go to as many shows as possible.  The last 2 tours with JA, YES played the same exact setlist.
That sucked, first time for me that it felt like YES were spent.  YES made that same mistake in 1978 & 1979, Same setlist. They broke up immediately after.  What were they thinking about repeating their setlist AGAIN in the21st century???

YES seemed to have real problems with JA, and as a paying fan I was sick of seeing the same songs over & over again.

I hope if JA ever returns YES will do a worthwhile setlist.  Some YES fans bitterly denigrate BD in YES, but at least
it was "fresh", not STALE like it had become with JA.  It breaks my heart to say that.

About Chris Squire's "The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be"...  Yes it is AWESOME to hear him sing, just not in
a Pat Boone style song.  Plus, my wife & I, neither of us have recovered from seeing an overweight Squire in those super tight spandex pants at both recent concerts, showing exactly what "religion" her was.   Yuck!!!!!!Wacko
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 11:06
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I don't see the problem or the joke.

Yeah, neither do I---this has been going on with Yes since the beginning of time---and someone recently pointed out that Benoit actually lasted longer than Banks, Moraz, Oliver,  that Russian dude  and some other members. 
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 12:19
If there was ever one member of Yes that was NOT expendable, Jon Anderson is it.  Drama was not bad, I admit, but it was far from their best album (I have not heard Fly From Here, so I won't comment on that).

I think the fact that they have to find tribute singers to take over for him pretty much says it all.

Still, I hope Benoit is okay and recovers quickly.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

If there was ever one member of Yes that was NOT expendable, Jon Anderson is it.  Drama was not bad, I admit, but it was far from their best album (I have not heard Fly From Here, so I won't comment on that).

I think the fact that they have to find tribute singers to take over for him pretty much says it all.

Still, I hope Benoit is okay and recovers quickly.

This pretty much sums it all up well. Fly From Here is a good album, but no more.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 14:44
RETIRE ALREADY! GO OUT WITH DIGNITY!!!!
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 16:19
Benoit David probably strained his voice trying to sing higher than his natural voice goes! Hope he recovers soon and we get another great Mystery album. IMO the last two Mystery albums were better than the last couple of Yes albums. Unless they decide to try and create something fresh they should quit.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 16:40
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

your dream setlist for australia is mine too.  i have to say, seeing them with benoit was fun in that i got to hear tempus fugit.  i would just freak if they played machine messiah or parallels!  hell, how about Release Release!

btw, i love Man You Always Wanted Me To Be.  how can you not love Chris on lead vocal!  LOL

Hey Dude,
Right on about Release, Release.  How bout Silent Wings??? And Dear Father & Then?  Yes, the wife & I saw YES
with BD twice and it was fabulous to see Machine Messiah & Tempus Fugit live.  JA simply refuses to sing that stuff.
I always support YES and go to as many shows as possible.  The last 2 tours with JA, YES played the same exact setlist.
That sucked, first time for me that it felt like YES were spent.  YES made that same mistake in 1978 & 1979, Same setlist. They broke up immediately after.  What were they thinking about repeating their setlist AGAIN in the21st century???

YES seemed to have real problems with JA, and as a paying fan I was sick of seeing the same songs over & over again.

I hope if JA ever returns YES will do a worthwhile setlist.  Some YES fans bitterly denigrate BD in YES, but at least
it was "fresh", not STALE like it had become with JA.  It breaks my heart to say that.

About Chris Squire's "The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be"...  Yes it is AWESOME to hear him sing, just not in
a Pat Boone style song.  Plus, my wife & I, neither of us have recovered from seeing an overweight Squire in those super tight spandex pants at both recent concerts, showing exactly what "religion" her was.   Yuck!!!!!!Wacko

squire is hilarious in his outfits. part of the fun i guess.  i'd also add Future Times to the setlist.  great tune.  

my hunch is that we might see a classic line up pull together an album that is, hopefully, better than mediocre.  then maybe a run of shows in london and new york.  then they will fade away with yes and all the other projects that no one cares about...except maybe steve howe solo albums...i like many of those
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 16:43
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Benoit David probably strained his voice trying to sing higher than his natural voice goes! Hope he recovers soon and we get another great Mystery album. IMO the last two Mystery albums were better than the last couple of Yes albums. Unless they decide to try and create something fresh they should quit.

yeah, new mystery would be cool.  i don't get why these dudes don't use octave pedals on their voice.  i know joe perry from def leopard uses one and it sounds great.  at leas some pitch correction.  the harmonies were pretty rough with Yes last summer.  Geddy lee should use one too,
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 21:17

Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

yeah, new mystery would be cool.  i don't get why these dudes don't use octave pedals on their voice.  i know joe perry from def leopard uses one and it sounds great.  at leas some pitch correction.  the harmonies were pretty rough with Yes last summer.  Geddy lee should use one too,

I suggested Autotune on PA and was soundly thrashed!   I was interested in it more for its aural sound effects vs. pitch correction. 

My suggestion is to only go where nature allows you to go.  Some vocal processing is amazing, and as a guy who's been in the studio, you'd be amazed at what many of our heroes would sound like singing without compression & a touch of delay!  

If bands can't do the harmonies like the old days, they need to either go much younger, bring on a few backup singers, or hire a woman as a replacement lead vocalist (Annie Haslam would have been an amazing Yes vocalist!).  

Recycling tribute band vocalists seems to be a losing strategy for rock bands, they eventually give out 'cause they are not full-time singers with strong pipes.   
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 21:33
My interest has been "how many members can be swapped out before the band is no longer the same band?" 

Robert Fripp says it's "all but me."  Chris Squire is in the same boat, but for different reasons.

But suppose Jon Davison replaced Benoit David, and Fred Schendel had to replace Geoff Downes, and Steve Babb replaced Chris Squire, and Alan Shikoh replaced Steve Howe, and Alan White continued drumming: Are they still Yes?

To put it another way, when does Anakin Skywalker stop being Anakin Skywalker?

Edited by Epignosis - February 08 2012 at 21:38
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 21:56
  I actually thought of the amount of original members needed to keep the band the same band--the answer in a 5 piece group is 3. Smile    In Yes' case where there is a Steve Howe there is the possibility of Yes.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 05:09
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I actually thought of the amount of original members needed to keep the band the same band--the answer in a 5 piece group is 3. Smile    In Yes' case where there is a Steve Howe there is the possibility of Yes.

Steve Howe isn't an "original" member.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 05:49
Well if David is out what's stopping Jon Anderson from resettling in?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 05:58
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Well if David is out what's stopping Jon Anderson from resettling in?

Himself. he doesn't want too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>