Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 13:06
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Does Yes have a communication problem?  Ermm

One would certainly think so, yes Stern Smile
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 13:07
One need only look at the bands name to find out.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 14:20
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Sure! I would definitely suggest or rather strongly recommend two bands, both 70s classic prog albums,

Flamengo - Kure v hodinkach
Fermata - Huascaran

Smile

Thanks, I will check those two out.

Cheers!

DM

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 13:46
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Certainly Squire seems to. I despair of him.

That is, though, a nicely considered piece by David, which shows him in a very positive light.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 13:52
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

That is, though, a nicely considered piece by David, which shows him in a very positive light.

Sounds like a top bloke, indeed.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 15:36

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Certainly Squire seems to. I despair of him.

David takes it all very well, yes. Good man Clap
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 18:40
I'm beginning to think the one person who should leave Yes is Squire himself. What's the point of getting new recruits if they won't last long enough to make any worthy contributions?
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 19:12
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm beginning to think the one person who should leave Yes is Squire himself. What's the point of getting new recruits if they won't last long enough to make any worthy contributions?

They did Yes without Squire---that was ABWH---I think finding a singer is really hard---but Squire has been guilty in the past of bringing second rate musicians into the fold (Sherwood) and it has been a disaster ---but so has Anderson--(Oliver and the Russian dude)-You need really amazing musicians in the group to really shine---that's Yes' key to success---But a singer will always be tough---that has always been the case in any group.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 19:52
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

They did Yes without Squire---that was ABWH---I think finding a singer is really hard---but Squire has been guilty in the past of bringing second rate musicians into the fold (Sherwood) and it has been a disaster ---but so has Anderson--(Oliver and the Russian dude)-You need really amazing musicians in the group to really shine---that's Yes' key to success---But a singer will always be tough---that has always been the case in any group.

No way is Sherwood or Khoroshev second rate.  The Ladder is incredible.  I saw Yes' Masterworks Tour with the latter, and he was impressive.  Sure Open Your Eyes was bad, but Sherwood is by no means second rate (check out The Unknown by Conspiracy).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 19:58
I guess the best "replacements" the band has been able to get have been Patrick Moraz, and even Trevor Rabin (even though Howe was better in my book, and surely just about everyone in the forum), Rabin was indeed a creative force in the band (for better or worse), and gave them new fuel. Well, the best replacements if we don' consider Howe and Wakeman as replacements themselves (which, as a matter of fact, they were).

Still, Yes indeed needs some first class new musician/composer into the band... a future prog legen. Anything less than that won't get Yes back to their legendary status.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting (and hoping) for the new project between Anderson, Wakeman, Rabin. I'm hoping this could give us something worthy of Yes too (it would be great if Wakeman would take and be given room to compose himself... for I really love many of his prog albums... and he's done a few very enjoyable ones last decade - "Out There" was an easy 5 star for me). And, somehow I feel Wakeman and Rabin may be able to work very well together... if Rabin comits himself to prog instead of pop.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 20:18
I've heard it all in IMO Sherwood is very second rate ---I mean he was given the keys to the kingdom and he came up with Open your eyes--- and was in to a few songs on the Ladder--but it is another album I rarely listen to even though it has some good Howe leads---but I'm a listener who rarely revisits any of the Rabin period although I have all of it---so to each their own---Yes for me is best when it has really exceptional talent---and no dead weight--but I am probably in the minority on this.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 20:32

I've heard it all in IMO Sherwood is very second rate ---I mean he was given the keys to the kingdom and he came up with Open your eyes--- and was in to a few songs on the Ladder--but it is another album I rarely listen to even though it has some good Howe leads---but I'm a listener who rarely revisits any of the Rabin period although I have all of it---so to each their own---Yes for me is best when it has really exceptional talent---and no dead weight--but I am probably in the minority on this.

I think what your earlier post is ignoring is context.  Yes could have come up with an album in the mid-90s and it still would have been terrible.  Lots of "classic" bands were doing awful things in the 80s and 90s.  Sherwood was incidental.  He's a very good musician and vocalist.
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 05:53

No way is Sherwood or Khoroshev second rate.  The Ladder is incredible.  I saw Yes' Masterworks Tour with the latter, and he was impressive.  Sure Open Your Eyes was bad, but Sherwood is by no means second rate (check out The Unknown by Conspiracy).

Completely agreed !

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:36

I think what your earlier post is ignoring is context.  Yes could have come up with an album in the mid-90s and it still would have been terrible.  Lots of "classic" bands were doing awful things in the 80s and 90s.  Sherwood was incidental.  He's a very good musician and vocalist.

Hi  Epignosis, Smile

You came down pretty hard on 2Steves, who I (as a YES fan who has seen every tour since 1977) condsider is absolutely spot on in his assessment of Billy. S.  Billy S. is nowhere near the class of musicians that YES have had over the years.Can Billy S. play an instrument?, Sure, just like most people in this forum. Yes, I have heard his records.  They are over processed and what he plays is a rip off from YES past and prog in general.  As far as him in YES, the little fart sounds he makes with his guitar on stage actually ruined the YES classics. If you recall, in the Dark Days of Billy-YES, YES sold a recording of an LA Universal Amphitheatre Show.  Billy S. did a guitar solo during Wurm.  It was pathetic beyond belief and was an utter embarassment. Please track that down, listen to it, and then tell us how great a musician Billy S. is.

Have you seen Chris Squires' Fish Out Of Water DVD?  Billy S. ruins Hold Out You Hand with his little fart noises
on the guitar. THANK GOD the keyboard player in that had the good sense to stay true to the song and play the organ
work straight, to save that song.

Second, your position that Billy S. was "incidental" and that YES would have made a bad album in the 80s-90s because that was what bands did.  That is ridiculous.  Yes does what Yes does, good or bad.  Blaming YES for the time period and holding Billy S. blameless for his disater that was Open Your Eyes, just beacuse what other artists were doing, is crazy talk.

2Steves made a great point, in the context of the world class musicians of YES past:
Steve Howe
Rick Wakman
Bill Bruford
Alan White
Pat Moraz...
Peter Banks (very tasty guitar work on the 1st 2 YES records)
...can't forget Jon Anderson Wink...

Chris Squire has made some dubious choices:

Billy S.  - WTF???
The Buggles?  - What? Were the Bee Gees not available?
Trevor(I wanna be a Rock Star) Rabin

2 different classes of musicians.

Oh man, this is painful because now I am remembering what rubbish Billy's Open Your Eyes was, over processed, over tracked, no substance in writing or composition.  Oy Vey!

@2Steves:  Why did you start this whole mess????Wink

Edited by dennismoore - February 22 2012 at 09:24
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:52
^ I think you need to realise that Open Your Eyes was originally a Squire & Sherwood project, which morphed into a Yes one once they had all stopped arguing about it.

Therefore, Robert (Epignosis) is, actually, rather accurate in his description of this record. 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 09:14

^ I think you need to realise that Open Your Eyes was originally a Squire & Sherwood project, which morphed into a Yes one once they had all stopped arguing about it.

Therefore, Robert (Epignosis) is, actually, rather accurate in his description of this record. 

Chico de Miko,Smile

Funny runing into you here.  We never settled our business in the Jeff Beck - Best Guitarist thread.Wink

First, I am painfully aware that Open Your Eyes started as a Squire - Sherwood project.  This point actually
goes to twosteves point that Squire's favorite song is "Send In The Clowns" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5os4NFeKFFs  or actually "Bring in a Clown (Into Yes)".  Which he did with Billy.   So a better thing to be discussing
is what crack Squire was smoking when he thought that bringing his little misadventure w/Billy into YES was actually a good idea.

Regardless of the genesis of OYE, it was indeed rubbish (just my opinion obviously) but I do think objectively, it will forever live as the worst YES album ever. Since Billy produced it and cowrote it with Squire, logic demands he be held accountable. Is Billy a nice lad to drink a pint with and have a fanboy conversation about YES?, I am sure that is the case. Has his influence over Squire & YES created the biggest debacle of an album, guilty or over-processing, over-tracking, over-sound effected and completely devoid of any heart or soul?.  Yes, guilty as charged. ( I do love playing Judge, Jury AND Executioner!Wink)

Hmm, this would be a great poll.  Is OYE the worst YES ablum ever?  Naw...I don't think we need to waste time to find
out that obvious point.

Now: if you insist on arguing this point with me, I will insist on inviting you over for a nice wheat beer and we can play the latest Jeff Beck CD while we put this issue to bed.

Also. we seem to be fighting a proxy war between 2steves @ Epignosis. Not my intention, as I am sure while twosteves is a fine young yad, I do try to keep my distance from people who:

1. Have The Yankee Scooter "Phil Rizzuto" pictures plastered all around their homes ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Rizzuto
2. Proudly wear "I Voted for Ed Koch For Mayor" badges on their lapels to all major social occasions 
(Hey twosteves,Wink  Wasssup baby???

So Laz, you just made this OYE thing  just between you and me . This time its personal!

LOL   Big smile  Tongue 

Do you think an ex-lab Monkey, turned organ-grinder Monkey really has a chance against the 19th century's most crafty
& handsome bandit?

Kindest Regards,

DennisMoore

Edited by dennismoore - February 22 2012 at 09:26
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 09:54
Wow DennisMoore I am speechless---Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 10:08

Wow DennisMoore I am speechless---Wink

C'mon man!  Is that all you can say?Confused

I spill my guts out here and all I get from you is a one-liner? Cry

Actually I was a bit worried, when I was writing silly things about you (as a New Yorker) that you would
not even know who Phil Rizzuto or Ed Koch were, and it would be I who would look silly (sillier?)

For those outside the NYC area:

Phil Rizzuto: a very old semi-good NY Yankee from waaaaaay back who terrorized the entire NYC region,
with his blatant overly-home team biased rantings on Yankee TV broadcasts for decades.

Ed Koch: Perhaps one of NYC's finest & beloved & controversial Mayors.

OK... 

As I have done time in New Jersey, this would now be the time to say something pithy about us folks
on the good side of the Hudson. Wink

Where did Laz & Epignosis go?  I think we scared them away.

Edited by dennismoore - February 22 2012 at 10:13
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 17:05
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Where did Laz & Epignosis go?  I think we scared them away.

I didn't realize anyone was this opinionated about it, but if you are...

Hi  Epignosis, Smile

You came down pretty hard on 2Steves, who I (as a YES fan who has seen every tour since 1977) condsider is absolutely spot on in his assessment of Billy. S. 

I didn't come down pretty hard on him; you disagree with me and agree with him.

Billy S. is nowhere near the class of musicians that YES have had over the years.Can Billy S. play an instrument?, Sure, just like most people in this forum. Yes, I have heard his records.  They are over processed and what he plays is a rip off from YES past and prog in general. 

For every Billy Sherwood project that is "over processed," I can show you twelve dozen others from this same time period that are "over processed."

As far as him in YES, the little fart sounds he makes with his guitar on stage actually ruined the YES classics. If you recall, in the Dark Days of Billy-YES, YES sold a recording of an LA Universal Amphitheatre Show.  Billy S. did a guitar solo during Wurm.  It was pathetic beyond belief and was an utter embarassment. Please track that down, listen to it, and then tell us how great a musician Billy S. is.

I think one of Yes's best DVDs is The House of Blues

If you wish to judge a musician based on one performance, then I can safely say that any musician who has toured is garbage.  I've seen all good people; I've seen some terrible performances from those good people too.  Wink

Have you seen Chris Squires' Fish Out Of Water DVD?  Billy S. ruins Hold Out You Hand with his little fart noises
on the guitar. THANK GOD the keyboard player in that had the good sense to stay true to the song and play the organ
work straight, to save that song.

Yes I have.  I think it's better than the original.

Second, your position that Billy S. was "incidental" and that YES would have made a bad album in the 80s-90s because that was what bands did.  That is ridiculous.  Yes does what Yes does, good or bad.  Blaming YES for the time period and holding Billy S. blameless for his disater that was Open Your Eyes, just beacuse what other artists were doing, is crazy talk.

Yes put out lousy albums around this time without Sherwood's help.  Thank goodness Sherwood wasn't on Union; you might be blaming him for that monstrosity.

And after all, Drama is far superior to TormatoWink

2Steves made a great point, in the context of the world class musicians of YES past:
Steve Howe
Rick Wakman
Bill Bruford
Alan White
Pat Moraz...
Peter Banks (very tasty guitar work on the 1st 2 YES records)
...can't forget Jon Anderson Wink...

Chris Squire has made some dubious choices:

Billy S.  - WTF???
The Buggles?  - What? Were the Bee Gees not available?
Trevor(I wanna be a Rock Star) Rabin

2 different classes of musicians.

Oh man, this is painful because now I am remembering what rubbish Billy's Open Your Eyes was, over processed, over tracked, no substance in writing or composition.  Oy Vey!

@2Steves:  Why did you start this whole mess????Wink

Opinions are like armpits: Everyone has some and some of them stink.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 17:17
I really like Open Your Eyes and T. Rabin is an excellent musician
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>