Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 17:19
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

T. Rabin is an excellent musician

Indeed.

If we judged Howe by GTR, what would we think?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 17:20
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm beginning to think the one person who should leave Yes is Squire himself. What's the point of getting new recruits if they won't last long enough to make any worthy contributions?

They did Yes without Squire---that was ABWH---I think finding a singer is really hard---but Squire has been guilty in the past of bringing second rate musicians into the fold (Sherwood) and it has been a disaster ---but so has Anderson--(Oliver and the Russian dude)-You need really amazing musicians in the group to really shine---that's Yes' key to success---But a singer will always be tough---that has always been the case in any group.

No way is  Khoroshev second rate. 

Heartily agree. Only silly person would think he is.

Edited by Snow Dog - February 22 2012 at 17:29
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 17:21

Indeed.

Well there you go. I am guilty of loving that GTR album too I'm afraid.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 17:25

Indeed.

Well there you go. I am guilty of loving that GTR album too I'm afraid.

I've never heard it, so I can't judge it.

My point was that we can't judge artists on their "worst" performances (whatever they may be).
DanProgMusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 11:02
  I'm a big fan of 1970's Progressive Rock but I wish the bands from that era and beyond
would stop these horrible reunions or at least try something new and out of their comfort zone
because it's boring.... . As for YES please stop now your a total parody of yourself.
 Wow I can't believe I'm saying this these guys are my idols but come on it's time to do something else.Cry
Cneo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 12:39
Ugh no kidding. These guys used to be sooo good. Now they are just making a mockery of their former selves. Im going to go listen to Gates of Delerium and forget the past 10 years. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 20:46
Originally posted by DanProgMusic DanProgMusic wrote:

I'm a big fan of 1970's Progressive Rock but I wish the bands from that era and beyond
would stop these horrible reunions or at least try something new and out of their comfort zone
because it's boring.... . As for YES please stop now your a total parody of yourself.
 Wow I can't believe I'm saying this these guys are my idols but come on it's time to do something else.Cry

I disagree--they are my idols and they still make good music---especially god Howe---as a creative person myself--you can't do Gates again---it was of a time and of certain musicians---Is it as good as 70's Yes--No---just like 70's Genesis was their creative peak---but good musicians still can interest me with their  playing---and I will continue to follow Yes as long as Howe is their guitarist. They still can play a good live show and any great musician should be able to play their classic stuff until they are 90 plus. Les Paul did.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 00:20
Yes will be in Australia next month 11th April, and I am going to see the,m. I will review the show and let you know how Jon sounded. Cant wait!

Meeting some PA proggers there too!
Cycles2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 08:02
My brother and I saw 'Yes' last week in Hollywood, FL and I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought we were listening to and watching Jon Anderson on vocals. It wasn't until reading this site that I realized it was Jon Davison on vocals. The voice was exactly the same and all the phrasings were the same. He even does some of the quirky movements Jon Anderson did on stage. The final touch was when Jon Davison played the useless percussion instruments on stage such that no one can hear such as the 'bar chimes'. This has Jon Anderson's signature all over it. My seat wasn't too close so I couldn't tell if Davison and Anderson look completely different, but I noticed Davison was thin as I remember Anderson.

I've been calling friends all week and telling them that I've never heard 'Yes' sound this good in the last 20 years and I attributed it to Jon Anderson's renewed vocal qualities. Oh well, embarrassing but who cares as we were treated to an amazing concert.

If the 'Yes' tour is coming to a city near you, you need to see them. They open with the complete 'Close to the Edge' album (without the optional America track). They play all the classics and refrain from the more recent pop hits such as 'Owners of a Lonely Heart' t make room for the great stuff.

The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 08:27
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

On reading this I just listened to Glass Hammer's If, and JD would certainly fit.

His voice is nearer to JA's than Horns' or or David's ever was.

Who 
f**kin 
cares

I absolutely love Jon Anderson, but the whole "ermahgerd, Yes without Jon Anderson isn't even Yes" thing is getting beyond ridiculous. Everybody is discrediting these entirely talented musicians. Both David and Davidson are incredible singers.
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 21:51
Originally posted by Cycles2 Cycles2 wrote:

My brother and I saw 'Yes' last week in Hollywood, FL and I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought we were listening to and watching Jon Anderson on vocals. It wasn't until reading this site that I realized it was Jon Davison on vocals. The voice was exactly the same and all the phrasings were the same. He even does some of the quirky movements Jon Anderson did on stage. The final touch was when Jon Davison played the useless percussion instruments on stage such that no one can hear such as the 'bar chimes'. This has Jon Anderson's signature all over it. My seat wasn't too close so I couldn't tell if Davison and Anderson look completely different, but I noticed Davison was thin as I remember Anderson.

I've been calling friends all week and telling them that I've never heard 'Yes' sound this good in the last 20 years and I attributed it to Jon Anderson's renewed vocal qualities. Oh well, embarrassing but who cares as we were treated to an amazing concert.

If the 'Yes' tour is coming to a city near you, you need to see them. They open with the complete 'Close to the Edge' album (without the optional America track). They play all the classics and refrain from the more recent pop hits such as 'Owners of a Lonely Heart' t make room for the great stuff.

Haha, this is rather amusing.
Anyway, your sound must have been bad, as I could hear Davison play the "bar chimes" quite clearly!
Big smile
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
sturoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 22:35
Is there a curse for lead vocalists in Yes ? The curse of respiratory illnesses ?
Isn't there a Jazz pianist named David Benoit ?
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 22:49
Originally posted by sturoc sturoc wrote:

Is there a curse for lead vocalists in Yes ? The curse of respiratory illnesses ?
Isn't there a Jazz pianist named David Benoit ?

Yes there is!

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 15:46
Originally posted by DanProgMusic DanProgMusic wrote:

Completely agree. Sad but true. At least Rush still look cool on stage.  I can't believe I would ever say something like that about Rush Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456