Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A Statement To The Press By Jon Anderson (re Yes+)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Statement To The Press By Jon Anderson (re Yes+)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Statement To The Press By Jon Anderson (re Yes+)
    Posted: February 26 2012 at 02:08
Originally posted by glassonyonpr glassonyonpr wrote:

music legend 

Modest, aren't we?
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 00:40
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I've met Squire, he's a dick.  I guess being told that you are the "best, most innovative Prog bassist, ever" for 40 years can get to you.  Backstage, he's mostly on the prowl for young tail.  

Howe is like an alien, he's the most antisocial rocker I've ever met (I've met many).  Anderson is as sweet as he seems, White is "hail, fellow, well met!" and Rick was very gracious and warm, he'd be a great politician!  

Thanks for the insight on the guys.  I got a good chuckle.  I would like some clarification on your impression of White sounds friendly but aloof?

Oh no, White was VERY friendly and not at all aloof!!   He and Wakeman would be the most likely to join us at the bar!  

I've met quite a few proggers....Bill Bruford has a great sense of humor, but he's not all that warm.  Fripp is charming and funny, but he also keeps an emotional distance, although he seemed genuinely interested in me as a professional.  

I keep bumping into Adrian Belew, he knows me but can't quite place me....my usual taunt is "Adrian!  I haven't seen you since Tulsa!!"  Which used to be true about 20 years ago!  Funny as hell!  

One of these days I'll strap the Rickenbacker 4001 bass back on and hit the stage.....stay tuned!  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 00:32
Latest bit of Yes drama, just posted to the "Official Yes Facebook Page"

FYI Everyone - The yesworld.com website was finally changed today to remove Benoit David. Interestingly, the site does NOT list Jon Davison as a member.

http://www.yesworld.com/

Indeed, that is the case!  Not that I am surprised, as Jon Davison and Glass Hammer have made it clear that he is "on loan" to Yes to fill in for the ailing Benoit David. 

However, is this a sign that B. David is being dumped, regardless of his health?  I'd venture to say "Yes" to that one!  

Thoughts?  

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 15:05
I think everybody on this site knows that I love this album...just to say about yes 1, 2, and 3...

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 08:23
Boston are cool. 
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 12:18
the thing is, about .o5% of the fan base even knows there was and will be a new singer.  most people go to a Yes show and are upset they didn't play Wheel in the Sky or Carry On My Wayward Son.  seriously,  i'd love to do an exit pole at one of roger water's wall shows to see how many folks thought they just saw pink floyd.  these are the people (the majority) that still crank the car stereo when More Than A Feeling by Boston comes on...after almost 40 years!  gotta love 'em.  btw, i do like some Boston sometimes.  Big smile

Quote from a family member..."I thought Robert Plant was the guitarist for Led Zeppelin and Keith Moon was the drummer.  He died right?"

Ahhhhh!  Wacko
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 09:28

I've met Squire, he's a dick.  I guess being told that you are the "best, most innovative Prog bassist, ever" for 40 years can get to you.  Backstage, he's mostly on the prowl for young tail.  

Howe is like an alien, he's the most antisocial rocker I've ever met (I've met many).  Anderson is as sweet as he seems, White is "hail, fellow, well met!" and Rick was very gracious and warm, he'd be a great politician!  

Thanks for the insight on the guys.  I got a good chuckle.  I would like some clarification on your impression of White sounds friendly but aloof?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 09:23
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

If you have ever collaborated with anyone in a creative way--it's a very difficult balancing act---when me and my two partners are on the same page --it's great---when we start to splinter in different directions as what direction to go in--it gets very hard----I think White,Howe,Squire tried for many years to go on Jon's trip as collaborators and let him lead with the songs---but they reached a point where the songs didn't interest them anymore and neither did acting like a 5 star back up band for his songs appeal to them (this had been done with ABWH)---Personally I think lot's of Jon's recent songs have been very uninteresting and all sound the same in a rambling way---Jon doesn't seem like a team player so maybe he should be a solo act ---I mean if 3 collaborators want to record and tour on a regular basis and act like a functioning band and one of the guys only wants to act on his whims---that's a difficult thing for a collaborator too---and I've been there too---so, while I love Yes with originals---I understand why it all finally went down the way it has--When you get older you can't have one guy pulling all the strings in a creative collaboration--you have to be free to work with people who are like minded ---it's just makes the process better in every way. 

Unbelievable.  Simply unbelievable. 

You think exactly like me,(Not sure if that is such a good thing for you.Wink)

Maybe cause you are from NYC and I am from the better side of the Hudson River(New Jersey)???Big smile

I could not have said all this better. Each point you make I think is perfectly well said.  As a HUGE YES fan, I want Jon back, tomorrow and I want FOUR more CTTE type records...But there is reality and you have spelled that out so well.  I saw the ABW&H concert  but I never liked the record, it is as you said, JA and a group of backing musicians.  Bill Bruford
complained that CTTE was too much arguing by all the musicians, hey man, that is called working together!  Something YES has not done with Jon for years, at least that is sure how it sounds to my ears on their recent records. Fly From Here is NO CTTE but it sounds like a group effort, at least.

Cheers! 

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 08:48
If you have ever collaborated with anyone in a creative way--it's a very difficult balancing act---when me and my two partners are on the same page --it's great---when we start to splinter in different directions as what direction to go in--it gets very hard----I think White,Howe,Squire tried for many years to go on Jon's trip as collaborators and let him lead with the songs---but they reached a point where the songs didn't interest them anymore and neither did acting like a 5 star back up band for his songs appeal to them (this had been done with ABWH)---Personally I think lot's of Jon's recent songs have been very uninteresting and all sound the same in a rambling way---Jon doesn't seem like a team player so maybe he should be a solo act ---I mean if 3 collaborators want to record and tour on a regular basis and act like a functioning band and one of the guys only wants to act on his whims---that's a difficult thing for a collaborator too---and I've been there too---so, while I love Yes with originals---I understand why it all finally went down the way it has--When you get older you can't have one guy pulling all the strings in a creative collaboration--you have to be free to work with people who are like minded ---it's just makes the process better in every way. 
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 05:45
The situation with Yes is really frustrating. I think Chris Squire is the wrong guy to lead the band, but unfortunately - as the whole ABWH deal illustrated - he's got control of the band name, so he has the leverage to say "my way or the highway".

Nice to hear Anderson is making headway on his own now. I really ought to check in on some of his recent solo stuff.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 23:52
A bit more background on the Yes situation...regarding his communications with Yes, Jon just said:

His contact with the band has been almost nil. "I haven't seen Steve Howe in seven years."

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/584877_Former-Yes-frontman-Jon-Anderson-happy-to-strike-out-on-his-own.html#ixzz1mWN1SSWU

An interesting interview.  

I'm glad that Jon is finding his own path forward, it was really great to see him play "The Revealing Science of God" solo, on an electronic keyboard, in a small venue!!  Fantastic stuff, see him if you can, he really boils down the essence of Yes very convincingly.  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 13:48
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Wow, only communication between the members was Chris asking for free tickets?

Shallow... 

Squire invited Jon Davison into the band so he could score some Glass Hammer tickets!!   And, hit on the women violinists if they are playing that night! 

Squire and Howe are driving the Good Ship Yes into the shoals.  I don't think they realize that the fan base is highly motivated by Jon Anderson's role in the band.  Fans admire Squire and Howe, but I'm not sure they get the "true love" that Anderson engenders.  

During his "Voice of Yes" show, Anderson was playing a bit of fancy (for him) acoustic guitar work and someone in the hall yelled "Steve Howe!"  Anderson shot the fan a very dark frown!!  It was funny as hell, I wonder how much of a role Howe has played in all of this?  

We'll see what happens when Jon Davison steps in.  He can handle the vocal duties, but Glass Hammer has seen a resurgence in interest due to this.  Not sure if Davison is just a stand-in or if Yes thought he would be a permanent member (as much as anyone is permanent), but the split with Benoit David seems permanent to me.  

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 09:41

I wouldn't say the album was particularly good as a whole thing... but the songs "Fly from here" (or "We can fly", or whatever), and "Sad night at the airfield", are both now essential Yes for me (though they may not be the proggiest thing, they are still very beautiful... specially "Sad Night"). The last song is very good too. The one thing that bothers me a bit is the title song being promoted as "one" "epic" song... it just doesn't hold as a single piece for me, and even less when they distinctly separated the segments. They sound just like different songs, with and intro and an outro that repeats themes from the songs in the middle (and a rather uninspired instrumental piece before the finale). Most of the other songs are just too boring for me.[/QUOTE]

i see where you're coming from.  the first part of the 'epic' is great.  it's no wonder it was written in the 70s.  the rest of the epic is kind of boring except that prog by numbers jam in the middle...bumpy ride.
FunkyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 08:56
I guess they named one of their albums "Drama" for a reason. LOL

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 20:04
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ My digital download copy was enough for me......I was gonna get the vinyl but now I am meehhh.

Yep. It is not a terrible album at all, but I really don't get those who consider it a masterpiece. I doubt that even Squire would describe it as such. 

i think Fly From Here is the best album the band has done since 90125.  It's produced well, actually has hooks and there's not any padding in the music.  steve's two songs are excellent as is the last song and of course the epic.  previous yes albums in the 90s and 00s were meandering messes to my hears with seldom a bright spot.  

I wouldn't say the album was particularly good as a whole thing... but the songs "Fly from here" (or "We can fly", or whatever), and "Sad night at the airfield", are both now essential Yes for me (though they may not be the proggiest thing, they are still very beautiful... specially "Sad Night"). The last song is very good too. The one thing that bothers me a bit is the title song being promoted as "one" "epic" song... it just doesn't hold as a single piece for me, and even less when they distinctly separated the segments. They sound just like different songs, with and intro and an outro that repeats themes from the songs in the middle (and a rather uninspired instrumental piece before the finale). Most of the other songs are just too boring for me.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 19:58

Even more:  http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-bassist-chris-squire-we-will-work-together-in-the-future-with-jon-anderson/
"As the one guy who has been present in Yes throughout every era, Squire reckons in a new interview with Classic Rock
that “they probably all got fed up with me.” Acting in a custodial
fashion, Squire “just stayed there and kept it together. Somebody’s got
to,” he jokes.

He goes one step further though and reveals, in a very Gene Simmons-like
way of thinking, that after over 40 years as a performing unit he
believes that “Yes could evolve into an entity like the London Symphony
Orchestra, with different players.”

“There could still be a band called Yes in 200 years’ time. But presumably, the band members will be different.”LOL

For those hanging onto a shred of hope that Jon Anderson might come back, Squire shares that optimism with you, even though Anderson himself might say otherwise.

“I have never closed the door on working with Jon again. He has left
the band before and come back and left it again and come back. It is an
unusual situation. We will work together in the future but right now we
are promoting the ‘Fly From Here’ album which is our first studio album in 10 years.”

======

I think Chris has realized that Jon Anderson is quite a bit more popular with the Yes fan base than he is!   But, what is a "Gene Simmons" way of thinking?  

With every press release they make, the more this thing devolves into Spinal Tap.  They should just do "Stonehenge" live and get on with it.  

Well, it seems to me that Squire has this way of achieving what he wants, so if he wants Anderson back, somehow I guess he will do it. Just like when he was trying to convince Alan White to join "You join the band or we throw you through the window". Oh, and when Wakeman returned to Yes, both Squire and Wakeman had talked in the night when Wakeman agreed to return, and next morning Wakeman finds the news of his returning to the band in the newspaper...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 17:46
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

I bought the CD/DVD special edition and the Vinyl because I am a Yes fanatic, but I would pretty much agree with Slart's description of "Ok".

Well that certainly makes you an official fanatic. LOL

But yeah, I enjoyed the listens enough to want to eventually get a copy.  I just had too much other stuff competing for my acquisition attention.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 14:48
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

^ My digital download copy was enough for me......I was gonna get the vinyl but now I am meehhh.

Yep. It is not a terrible album at all, but I really don't get those who consider it a masterpiece. I doubt that even Squire would describe it as such. 

i think Fly From Here is the best album the band has done since 90125.  It's produced well, actually has hooks and there's not any padding in the music.  steve's two songs are excellent as is the last song and of course the epic.  previous yes albums in the 90s and 00s were meandering messes to my hears with seldom a bright spot.  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 13:41
Even more:  http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-bassist-chris-squire-we-will-work-together-in-the-future-with-jon-anderson/

"As the one guy who has been present in Yes throughout every era, Squire reckons in a new interview with Classic Rock that “they probably all got fed up with me.” Acting in a custodial fashion, Squire “just stayed there and kept it together. Somebody’s got to,” he jokes.

He goes one step further though and reveals, in a very Gene Simmons-like way of thinking, that after over 40 years as a performing unit he believes that “Yes could evolve into an entity like the London Symphony Orchestra, with different players.”

“There could still be a band called Yes in 200 years’ time. But presumably, the band members will be different.”LOL

For those hanging onto a shred of hope that Jon Anderson might come back, Squire shares that optimism with you, even though Anderson himself might say otherwise.

“I have never closed the door on working with Jon again. He has left the band before and come back and left it again and come back. It is an unusual situation. We will work together in the future but right now we are promoting the ‘Fly From Here’ album which is our first studio album in 10 years.”

======

I think Chris has realized that Jon Anderson is quite a bit more popular with the Yes fan base than he is!   But, what is a "Gene Simmons" way of thinking?  

With every press release they make, the more this thing devolves into Spinal Tap.  They should just do "Stonehenge" live and get on with it.  

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 12:51

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>