Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Howe SLO HiRez Photo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 16:37
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Did Steve use a Les Paul Junior on Tales? I was actually suprised to see him playing one in this picture. I never knew he played a Junior. Also, if this was in 76, then that Relayer tour must have been a long one, since Relayer came out in 74.

Indeed he did!  I have a copy of his book "The Steve Howe Guitar Collection" (signed of course!), and he says on page 37, in a section titled "Topographic Madness":

"For Topographic I ended up playing the (Gibson ES) 345 on side one and Danelectro 12-string on some of side two, but the (Gibson Les Paul) Junior is on most of sides two, three and four, where it is the key guitar.  Side four in particular is all about the Junior."

"Looking back, I probably would have chosen to change guitars a little more often.  But at the time I stuck with it for continuity and simplicity." 

Sorry, I'm pretty much a guitar geek!  Every time I've seen Yes perform "Ritual" onstage, Steve used the Les Paul Junior. Interesting, it was marketed as an entry-level beginner's guitar, but he liked it for its simplicity!   He gets an amazing tone out of it!  

As far as that tour, it was the "Relayer" material, but Wikipedia refers to it as the "Solo Album Tour."  I saw the original "Relayer" tour twice, but missed this particular '76 show.  I'm told it was amazing as always!  

The ES 345 and 175 are Steve's signatures for sure. This is very interesting to read. Thanks for the post! On The Revealing Science Of God, you can obviously tell it's a 345 because of the tone. I did notice, though, that tone of Steve's guitar drastically changed on, like you said, Ritual and even the Ancient. That's nice though, because the tone is great and Ritual is probably my favourite song on Tales. Which Yes song is your favourite?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 23:34
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

The ES 345 and 175 are Steve's signatures for sure. This is very interesting to read. Thanks for the post! On The Revealing Science Of God, you can obviously tell it's a 345 because of the tone. I did notice, though, that tone of Steve's guitar drastically changed on, like you said, Ritual and even the Ancient. That's nice though, because the tone is great and Ritual is probably my favourite song on Tales. 

Which Yes song is your favourite?

Cry  Now, how can I ever possibly answer THAT question??  

If you held a gun to my head, it would have to be CTTE (the first side of the LP) of course!  

I differ from many on PA, in that I really enjoy Side Two of TFTO, "The Remembering" for some reason!  Most here worship "The Revealing Science of God," which is an incredible work, but something about "The Remembering" impresses me.  Squire once said it was his favorite side as well.   Collectively, the entire of TFTO is perhaps the most impressive work of the classical rock music era.  Pity it got trashed so badly at the time!  

*sigh* For all the criticism Yes has received over the many years, they sure have delivered some amazing music to our ears!  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 23:42
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

You make quite the spectacle when you are wearing spectacles along with that dashingly handsome smile you have!  That is a great photo.Smile

Did Rick tell any jokes when you met him?

You have proven to be quite formidable in posting quality YES pictures.  But how much more gas is left in the tank???  Beer

Hmmm.... a bit of Alan White, then?  

dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 08:36

You make quite the spectacle when you are wearing spectacles along with that dashingly handsome smile you have!  That is a great photo.Smile

Did Rick tell any jokes when you met him?

You have proven to be quite formidable in posting quality YES pictures.  But how much more gas is left in the tank???  Beer

Hmmm.... a bit of Alan White, then?  

Drats & double drats,Angry

Now I have to run home after work and dig up a photo of Alan White....

This battle isn't over dude..Ouch

DM
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 08:52

I differ from many on PA, in that I really enjoy Side Two of TFTO, "The Remembering" for some reason!  Most here worship "The Revealing Science of God," which is an incredible work, but something about "The Remembering" impresses me.  
Hey Dude,

The Remembering was always my favorite as well.  When I got the LP I always played The Remembering first, years
later I looked closer at the LP label and saw The Remeembering was side 2.  Doh!!!!   Tales flowed better starting
with The Remembering.  Plus, I do think some of Steve Howe's best acoustic guitar work ever is on that side.

Now:  Where is a nice 5.1 surround mix of Tales From Topographic Oceans???

Cheers!

DM

Edited by dennismoore - February 13 2012 at 08:59
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 14:56
I love The Remembering, but I'd say it is my least favourite track on TFTO (sorry!Wink). It tends to meander a bit, but that's just my opinion. The Ancient is literally insane with all its percussive madness. Then the calming after the storm with Steve's solo. I don't know how they played that track live to be quite honest!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 20:27
OK,

Here is a guy who looks good in purple.  (Also from SLO - 1996)

Smile  Tongue  LOL

Tongue
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 23:47

OK,

Here is a guy who looks good in purple.  (Also from SLO - 1996)

Smile  Tongue  LOL

Tongue

Indeed, you have excellent photos!  My friend Curt told me that it was hard to photograph Alan because he had to wait for the crash-cymbal to be out of the way, and your fine photo confirms that story!  

I'll have to have Curt send me more of his, I don't have all that many Yes photos, just a lot of memories!  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 08:28

Indeed, you have excellent photos!  My friend Curt told me that it was hard to photograph Alan because he had to wait for the crash-cymbal to be out of the way, and your fine photo confirms that story!  

I'll have to have Curt send me more of his, I don't have all that many Yes photos, just a lot of memories!  
Hi Chuck,Smile

No worries m8, I am just having fun with the little "back & forth" you and I had with the pictures.  No competition here.
Though I wish some other people would step up to the plate and post some pix.  The photos I posted were taken
by yours truly(just a schmuck who did time in New Jersey and had a rather old film camera) so I am sure
others have much better pictures somewhere in their treasure chests! Tongue

By the way, I never really said what a totally kick-ass bass you have,  Do you have any bass videos that can teach
me On The Silent Wings of Freedom? (Yes, that's right, I am your worst nightmare - A guitarist/keyboardist who thinks he can play the bass as well.Wink)

Cheers,

DM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12