Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan you recommend me some headphones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 21:06
Originally posted by imma imma wrote:

Hi, I dont know anything about audio, I've always listened to music in low quality speakers/headphones, but now I think its time to finally get something great.I think I can spend 130 U$D but not more than that.I listen to Rock/Prog & Metal mostly, then Jazz & Classical.Thank You! And sorry for my bad english.

Originally posted by imma imma wrote:

Hi, I dont know anything about audio, I've always listened to music in low quality speakers/headphones, but now I think its time to finally get something great.I think I can spend 130 U$D but not more than that.I listen to Rock/Prog & Metal mostly, then Jazz & Classical.Thank You! And sorry for my bad english.

Hi there. I'd be happy to help you and I understand that the world of audio, especially headphones can be quite daunting because there are so many brands/manufactures to choose from.
Lets see how we can simplify this. I will need to know just a few things from you.

1) what kind of headphone do you prefer (closed back, on-ear, over ear, noise isolation or noise cancelation?) these options pertain to comfort (style) and sound leakage meaning If your listening to your music do you want others to hear it as well or not, and would you like to completely block out outside noises?

2) How do you mostly listen to music (at home or travel(street) ?

3) sound preferences? Now this is where the fun comes in. Many headphones have unique and interesting sound characteristics. Some offer more bottom end (bass) some offer a more weighty treble and some offer a more upfront vocal experience. Most of all its all about sound dynamics. You obviously love Prog, so I would probably recommend a headphone that carries a very neutral sound meaning the lows, mids and highs are all with in a reasonable balance between one another, meaning treble or bass or vocals really won't overpower one another.

4) please give me your sources you have or may be interested in the future.

5) PRICE!!! Is $130 USD the highest you can or are willing to go?

Anyhow. I'm glad to hear that you are finally gonna kill those sh*tty speakers through crappy sources.
You'll be amazed how unbelievably incredible a headphone listening experience can be and sound. Technology today is so superior. Buying quality headphones is one of the first steps you can take towards really bringing the life out of your music.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 02:45
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I'd be happy to help you
I would be interested in your suggestions, despite not being the creator of this topic. What would you recommend for listening to some mighty symphonic progressive rock pieces through headphones? Powerful bass tones would be appreciated in the bid to enhance some scary moments of the given works, but not at the expense of the clarity of high tones. I currently use Marantz CD6005 with either the awsome AKG K-550 connected directly or through the Marantz PM6005. Quite modest set up, I agree, but I'm being absolutely happy with it in terms of its abilities and qualities. Despite this, I would still be interested in your opinion and suggestions.
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 08:12
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

I'd be happy to help you

I would be interested in your suggestions, despite not being the creator of this topic. What would you recommend for listening to some mighty symphonic progressive rock pieces through headphones? Powerful bass tones would be appreciated in the bid to enhance some scary moments of the given works, but not at the expense of the clarity of high tones. I currently use Marantz CD6005 with either the awsome AKG K-550 connected directly or through the Marantz PM6005. Quite modest set up, I agree, but I'm being absolutely happy with it in terms of its abilities and qualities. Despite this, I would still be interested in your opinion and suggestions.

I'd be happy to help you

I'd be happy to help you

That Marantz PM6005 is a very good for the $$. If I am not mistaken it does have a built in DAC?
Anyway, the Marantz is the closest part of your system to being in HIFI territory. The CD player portion of the unit is excellent and you really don't have to spend much more to get a better one at because the laser on that player is fairly large and can pick up all the data that is stored on CDs with ease and accuracy.
However, with all of your sources you are setting comfortably in MID-FI territory.
Those AKG's are again, great for the money and quite large I might add. Very beefy can, which I think is cool. ;)
I know the 551's have been reconstructed a bit (cable wise) for street use.
Anyway, the K550's have a 350-400$ price tag but paired with the right sources (amp, interconnects and DACS) they can sound like they are worth a lot more than that. They are neutral sounding, which is why I understand you feel like you want more bass.
Ok. Here are some suggestions based on upgrading the AKG K550 and given your sources.

Sennheiser HD650 ( bass is tight, but the dynamics are huge on this headphone. Very nice can. ;)

B&W P7 ( these are in the same class as your K550's, but carry a more accurate sound with a stronger bass notation. Great for travel as well. Around the same price point. ;)

Grado 325i's --for the cash. Wow. Very open realistic open backed headphones. These are not for the street!

Bang & Olfsen H6--very very bassy and carry a rich, heavy sound. Upper tier headphone.

V-Mota X'S-- these are V-Mota's flagship right now and use 50mm drivers in them. Biggest in its class and great for travel too. Also, if you want bass you'll get it. These cans have a fair price point.

Sony MDR Z-7--- these are brand new on the market! Sony uses 70mm drivers!! Most of any headphone in the world. Your bass will be bad ass on these cans. Also its a headphone that Has a built in DAC!
Downside. May be out of your price range. Around 699$ pls tax.

Those cans I listed above will give you some difference to what you have already.
May I say that I would keep the AKG's for travel and invest in a HIFI can for the home.
Lastly some of those headphones require quality amplification, so you may have to upgrade your sources for power. ;)

All in all. You are getting some of the picture with what you have, and upgrading will cost you a bit more to do it really right!!

Happy listening.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 08:19
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

The first thing you should decide is what kind of headphone/earphone do you want?!my favourite kind is in-ear headphones , when you insert the earphone bud into the ear canal , which completely isolate the outside noises .for a few years i'm sticking with 'shure' - they are a very important name in the audio technology development , and released quite a few hi end earphones.i had : SE110 , SE210 and now i use SE215 which are great for their price , which kind of what you wanted to spend.I'd go with SE215if you have a store which you can try some kinds of earphone of course this would be the best..and don't forget that your audio source ( ipod, selular, mp3 player) is very important.apple sources ( ipod , iphone ) being very high quality.good luck and keep us posted.

Check out the SHURE 846's. $$$$

Hey sagi. Don't want to sound like mr. Square but with IEM's you be careful with them cause you can throw out your hearing real fast. I know they 'isolate noise' very well, but their are alternatives and easier on your ears. ;)
Check out the BOSE QC 15's. outside noise doesn't stand a chance!
They are an over ear fit too. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 08:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

<span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">I don't think it's still relevant recommending speakers to this guy in such an old thread, especially if he hasn't logged in in 2 years.</span>

Great observation, Sagi.   How dumb are we who replied

Believe I'm the dumbest. Ah well.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 07:12

That Marantz PM6005 is a very good for the $$. If I am not mistaken it does have a built in DAC?

Thanks, I really appreciate your great advise. Yep, PM6005 has already got a built-in, wonderful Cirrus Logic 24 bit/192 kHz DAC. What a joy.

I wouldn't need headphones with built-in DAC, as I won't listen to my music on streets. So all them street-wise headphones would also be out of my radar. Sony forked out then.

Bowers & Wilkins P7 are great, but my preference goes towards totally-over-an-ear solutions rather than just on-ear.

But those Grados look absolutely fantastic! I was considering Grados before AKG. Grado SR325e has just won What Hi*Fi Sound and Vision contest "The biggest, best headphones". On par with AKG Q 701, they bettered Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, B&W, Focal Spirit and Pioneer offerings. Only disappointment is rather short (at 1.5m) cable. And I, again, look towards those AKGs. What would be your opinion on the said AKG Q701?
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 08:35

Thanks, I really appreciate your great advise. Yep, PM6005 has already got a built-in, wonderful <span style="line-height: normal;">Cirrus Logic 24 bit/192 kHz DAC. What a joy.</span>
<span style="line-height: normal;"></span>
<span style="line-height: normal;">I wouldn't need headphones with built-in DAC, as I won't listen to my music on streets. So all them street-wise headphones would also be out of my radar. Sony forked out then.</span>
<span style="line-height: normal;">Bowers & Wilkins P7 are great, but my preference goes towards totally-over-an-ear solutions rather than just on-ear.</span>
<span style="line-height: normal;"></span>
<span style="line-height: normal;">But those Grados look absolutely fantastic! I was considering Grados before AKG. Grado SR325e has just won What Hi*Fi Sound and Vision contest "The biggest, best headphones". On par with AKG Q 701, they bettered Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, B&W, Focal Spirit and Pioneer offerings. Only disappointment is rather short (at 1.5m) cable. And I, again, look towards those AKGs. What would be your opinion on the said AKG Q701?</span>

Hey man. I think if you want to stay in the AKG family and since you already have the K550's, I'd really skip the 701's and go for the K812's. for a couple of hundred dollars you will get massive sonic improvements. The 812's are riding as AKG's flagship right now. They are wonderful and paired with your sources pm 6005 you'll notice a huge difference. ;)
However, if you want to go a less expensive route I'd look at those grado models From their 600 series down.
The cabling on those grado headphones is exceptional. They are even hard wired in cause they are such a professional product. Let me know what you decide on. Oh and I love Whathifi as well. Great source.

Lastly as for cable upgrades. Look no further than MOONAUDIO.
The best price for high end headphone cable upgrade.
:)
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 11:39
I'm thinking about getting a "starter" pair, and going with the Senn 558s.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:20
Those seem nice, tell us what do you think of those if you get them. I have a pair of 449's for almost 3 years and they sound very good Smile
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:25
Probably won't be until my birthday in 4 months, because I just spent the GDP of a small island on the fam for Christmas.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 16:02
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Probably won't be until my birthday in 4 months, because I just spent the GDP of a small island on the fam for Christmas.

I really recommend you pass on the 550' series. Go with the 650's. if your prepared to invest in quality I'd start with this. Also, once you get those headphones in the future you'll have to buy a proper dedicated headphone amplifier to maximize those CANS potential. 650 is much better territory audio wise to start with if you are willing to spend a little extra. Anyway, nice to hear that you are making a solid step for a better, more realistic listening experience.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 16:10

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I really recommend you pass on the 550' series. Go with the 650's. if your prepared to invest in quality I'd start with this. Also, once you get those headphones in the future you'll have to buy a proper dedicated headphone amplifier to maximize those CANS potential. 650 is much better territory audio wise to start with if you are willing to spend a little extra. Anyway, nice to hear that you are making a solid step for a better, more realistic listening experience.

Noted - I just worry about diminishing returns.  I can certainly lay out the cash for the 650s, but I want to make sure I'm getting appropriate value for that delta cost.

edit:  if you see the other thread "what do you listen to prog on" you can see some back and forth between myself and Catcher10 on a good headphone amp/DAC setup.

Edited by Padraic - December 22 2014 at 16:11
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 18:49
Because I am a cheap SOB and do not usually treat my headphones with kid gloves.  Always have gotten headphones less than 40$ (told you I was a cheap @#$^@), and they break within a year or two.

Anyway, getting tired of the bland sound and the wire or connection not working on the cheap stuff. I am looking for advice from some of you gurus on a good rugged pair of headphones between 100 - 200$ with great overall sound.  Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 19:12
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Because I am a cheap SOB and do not usually treat my headphones with kid gloves.  Always have gotten headphones less than 40$ (told you I was a cheap @#$^@), and they break within a year or two.

Anyway, getting tired of the bland sound and the wire or connection not working on the cheap stuff. I am looking for advice from some of you gurus on a good rugged pair of headphones between 100 - 200$ with great overall sound.  Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

I own these.  Will be upgrading in about a years time, but I think they are pretty damn good for the price.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 00:50
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 04:25
I'm using a pair of Sennheiser PX-100s. They have very good sound quality and are extremely comfortable while also being rather compact, the important thing being that they can be folded together and are easy to transport. I'm also under the impression, though, that they are rather expensive as they were a graduation gift from my parents.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 05:14
I will join with those recommending Sennheiser - they have models to suit most budgets and make great-sounding and durable headphones. I have the huge, dorky-looking HD600s and HD650s and I love 'em. Strictly for home listening in a fairly quiet environment though as they're open-backed. But tremendously comfy and monitor-quality sound.

Mind you with Sennheiser you will generally get an unbiased sound - they don't emphasise the bass or any other part of the spectrum. As it should be IMO!

Edited by Mascodagama - February 15 2015 at 05:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 09:20
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Okay!

What's up my friend? Since you know and love the RPI genre so well I'd say you want a headphone that give you a nice neutral sound without the overkill on bass extension.
May I suggest the BOWER AND WILKENS P5's for your budget or look into Bang and Olfsen's H6 on ear headphone model. Don't know what style of headphone you prefer, but personally I think circumural (over ear) headphone that is not Closed back is the best. GRADO's lower end models can give you decent bang for your dollar. Great brands there and very easy to drive. One last one.
The AKG 550's or 551's. these are studio monitors like the one Pedraig suggested.
Great, neutral sounding can. :)

Also. A great website to checkout is HEAD-FI.COM. This will allow you to get testimonials on whatever you are interested in because freaks (like me) blog about this sh*t all the time.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help out in any other way.

Edited by progbethyname - February 15 2015 at 09:23
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 18:07
Thanks guys!  Did realize how many different upper end headphones there were available out there, have not really looked into this until now.  The only brand I recognized were the Sennheisers.

Nick! How goes it?  Yes RPI will be cranking, although have only gotten 1 RPI title in the past month or so.  Been exploring the Neo-prog world of late.  I plan to use the website you mentioned, Head-Fi on the choices I've come down to before I buy (listed below for any input from anyone).  Would like to test some of them, but I doubt I will find any place around these parts that carry these, except maybe the guitar/instrument stores, will have to check those out.

From the info you guys provided and websites, here is the list at this point to figure out which one is the winner:

AKG - the K240 or K240 MkII
Audio Technica - ATH-M40X
Sennheiser - HD280 or HD518
Grado - Prestiege SR80e

The Bower and Wilkens, Bang and Olfsen's looked good, but the $$$ for the ones I liked would blow the budget Big smile.  Mostly prefer the over the ear type/comortable, and will be used in various locations, devices, and components.  No DACs or amps.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 18:25
^ I tried the HD518 once at the local store, they sound really good and are very comfortable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>