Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan you recommend me some headphones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 11:40
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Thanks guys!  Did realize how many different upper end headphones there were available out there, have not really looked into this until now.  The only brand I recognized were the Sennheisers.

Nick! How goes it?  Yes RPI will be cranking, although have only gotten 1 RPI title in the past month or so.  Been exploring the Neo-prog world of late.  I plan to use the website you mentioned, Head-Fi on the choices I've come down to before I buy (listed below for any input from anyone).  Would like to test some of them, but I doubt I will find any place around these parts that carry these, except maybe the guitar/instrument stores, will have to check those out.

From the info you guys provided and websites, here is the list at this point to figure out which one is the winner:

AKG - the K240 or K240 MkII
Audio Technica - ATH-M40X
Sennheiser - HD280 or HD518
Grado - Prestiege SR80e

The Bower and Wilkens, Bang and Olfsen's looked good, but the $$$ for the ones I liked would blow the budget Big smile.  Mostly prefer the over the ear type/comortable, and will be used in various locations, devices, and components.  No DACs or amps.
you are most welcome my friend.
If no amp will support your set up just make sure you try to grab a headphone that is at or under 38 OHMS, otherwise they will need an amp so you can drive them properly.
It me know what you decide on. The world of audio is fascinating.

Also 1 RPI album in 1 month?? How unlike you.

Talk soon.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 20:02
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

If no amp will support your set up just make sure you try to grab a headphone that is at or under 38 OHMS, otherwise they will need an amp so you can drive them properly.

Holy Ohms Law Batman!  Never figured on so much details and calculations to ponder.  I am reconsidering the use of an amp, maybe a DAC if I want to get the most bang for my buck.  But it has to be portable and of course low $ for starters.  

Nick, you or anyone used a FiiO portable amp?  Or others?

I think I found a couple of places locally where I can test drive some of the headphones on my list, hopefully they will have some amps to test to see the differences.

Hope I am not becoming an audiophile Smile, will have to figure out how to launder money without the wife's knowledge..LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 08:59
^ We are all audiophiles, we want to listen to our music in the best possible way to give us the best musical experience...Does not matter if you spend $50 or $5K.

FiiO amps are pretty nice and very portable, they also make them with bands that wrap around your music device like an iPod, Zune or phone.

Auditioning is the best thing you can do
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 10:00

I use Turtle Beach headphones. Although they're made specifically for gaming, I've found that they can be used as great music listening devices.

http://fryingpanmedia.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 19:26

Holy Ohms Law Batman!  Never figured on so much details and calculations to ponder.  I am reconsidering the use of an amp, maybe a DAC if I want to get the most bang for my buck.  But it has to be portable and of course low $ for starters.  

Nick, you or anyone used a FiiO portable amp?  Or others?

I think I found a couple of places locally where I can test drive some of the headphones on my list, hopefully they will have some amps to test to see the differences.

<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">Hope I am not becoming an audiophile </span>Smile<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">, will have to figure out how to launder money without the wife's knowledge..</span>LOL

Yeah I know. Electrical resistance is a bitch.

And as for FiiO. Yes! I've used the E17, which is a DAC and AMP hybrid.
A real steal for the money. Sitting at 120 U.S you can't beat that price for the performance of this little sucker, which can drive headphones up to 300ohms!!! Pretty impressive and as my good friend Jośe said, you can band this amp so nicely with any I pod device, especially the Nano.
The FiiO monte Blanc is their flagship for portable amps right now, but the E 17 will be more than enough for the budget price of the headphones you are gonna select.
If you pair the FiiO with the audio Technica ATH M-50's that's a nice starting point for a decent listening experience that will be under 250$.
However, it is frightening how many headphones are out there to choose and how bloody different they sound, but getting a neutral pair of studio monitors like the M-50's is a great starting point...later on the "Upgradiness bug' will set in and you'll need and want a better pair of headphones.
The E17 is a great buy, and I currently use it to drive my Sony MDR Z 7's for a quality on the go music listening experience. Those cans are 70 ohms and the FiiO drives them beautifully.
The DAC quality however is good, but not amazing.

Enjoy man
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 07:10
Thanks Nick and Jose'!  Hopefully I can test drive some of the headphones (and amps) in the upcoming week and then take the plunge.  You guys and the others gave me a good starting point to begin a long overdue journey into better listening.

Thinking back to the only good headphones I ever had was as a teenager in the 70s, I got a pair of the old Koss Pro 4A (or whatever the model # was then) for Christmas.  Back then they cost $40 which was big bucks then!  Surprised to see they brought that model back due to popular demand for $80. I Plugged them into an old Midland 8-track tape deck, I had never heard such wonderful new sounds to songs, I could hardly believe it was the same old songs I had been listening to.  After that, I never had a good pair (must have spent money on girls, cars, and partying LOL).

I guess we are all audiophiles to some degree or we would not be here on PA Smile.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 22:44
Absolutely my pleasure, my friend.

I get very excited when I hear about other fellow prog heads like yourself willing to strive to get the very best out of their music listening experiences.
You begin to appreciate the creatively gifted sound engineers and hear the differences in what makes up a quality recording in general. Another thing is instrument placement. You feel the air and separation in the overall sound stage, but that is really further down the road for you cause you gotta spend some cash to achieve that from your gear. Anyhow, happy listening.
Let me know how it goes and what differences you hear along the way.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 23:58

Thanks Nick and Jose'!  Hopefully I can test drive some of the headphones (and amps) in the upcoming week and then take the plunge.  You guys and the others gave me a good starting point to begin a long overdue journey into better listening.

Thinking back to the only good headphones I ever had was as a teenager in the 70s, I got a pair of the old Koss Pro 4A (or whatever the model # was then) for Christmas.  Back then they cost $40 which was big bucks then!  Surprised to see they brought that model back due to popular demand for $80. I Plugged them into an old Midland 8-track tape deck, I had never heard such wonderful new sounds to songs, I could hardly believe it was the same old songs I had been listening to.  After that, I never had a good pair (must have spent money on girls, cars, and partying LOL).

I guess we are all audiophiles to some degree or we would not be here on PA Smile.

No problem.....I used some of those big cans by Koss too as a teenager. I used to fall asleep with them on listening to Rush.....I had Rush mix tapes on reel to reel and would just lay down and listen before you know it I was out.....Something about listening to music thru headphones always makes me sleepy..dunno guess I am weird that way LOL

Once you start to hear music in a much higher quality playback, you will want to continue that path but more importantly you will hear your favorite music in a different way......I bet ya!

Cheers and have fun!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 21:17
Update!  After test driving the AKG K240, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X & M50X, and Sennheiser HD280 & HD380, I decided on the ATH-M40X!  It was between Audio-Technica and Sennheiser for sound, but it came down to comfort.  The M40X just felt so much better on my head. 
To my untrained ears in quality headphones, there was little difference to me between the 40X vs the 50X, except possibly a little fuller base sound in the 50s.  The Sennheisers had a little brighter sound and it made it tough to choose.  Sadly I could not find any Grados to test drive, was looking for the SR80s.

I should mention the closer on the deal was that Amazon had bundle deal going that included a Creative Sound Blaster E1 headphone amp for only $10 more (total $110+tax).  It had mixed reviews as it is a jack of all trades but master of none.  It is a portable headphone amp (2 headphone jacks), built in microphone, and if connected to a computer it can use Sound Blaster Control panel software to enhance/mix your computer sound.  The amp and microphone (great on my smartphone as I can use it for work) seem to work fine so far.  Amp seems to add another 30-40 % extra boost of volume.  I figure for 10 bucks, if I don't like it, it will just be used as a MP3 player booster in the car and a phone mic.  Gives me more time and $$ to research getting a good dac/amp.

Anyway, been like a kid at Christmas today when it arrived (wife wish I got that excited about other things...LOL).  Sounds great, been noticing sounds to my old favorites that had not heard before.  I have noticed that my ears now have to adjust to how to listen properly again.

Again, thanks for the advice guys, got me a good entry point into quality listening.  No more cheap stuff!

Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 19:28
Philips Fidelio M1 headphones are the best cans I have ever owned.

Edited by Green Shield Stamp - April 11 2015 at 15:56
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 09:43

Update!  After test driving the AKG K240, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X & M50X, and Sennheiser HD280 & HD380, I decided on the ATH-M40X! 

Sorry, just saw this - hope you enjoy them, I really do think they are great for the price.

I'll still probably upgrade around Christmas but my ATH will end up in my office, I'll never get rid of them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 03:31

Update!  After test driving the AKG K240, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X & M50X, and Sennheiser HD280 & HD380, I decided on the ATH-M40X!  It was between Audio-Technica and Sennheiser for sound, but it came down to comfort.  The M40X just felt so much better on my head. 
To my untrained ears in quality headphones, there was little difference to me between the 40X vs the 50X, except possibly a little fuller base sound in the 50s.  The Sennheisers had a little brighter sound and it made it tough to choose.  Sadly I could not find any Grados to test drive, was looking for the SR80s.

I should mention the closer on the deal was that Amazon had bundle deal going that included a Creative Sound Blaster E1 headphone amp for only $10 more (total $110+tax).  It had mixed reviews as it is a jack of all trades but master of none.  It is a portable headphone amp (2 headphone jacks), built in microphone, and if connected to a computer it can use Sound Blaster Control panel software to enhance/mix your computer sound.  The amp and microphone (great on my smartphone as I can use it for work) seem to work fine so far.  Amp seems to add another 30-40 % extra boost of volume.  I figure for 10 bucks, if I don't like it, it will just be used as a MP3 player booster in the car and a phone mic.  Gives me more time and $$ to research getting a good dac/amp.

Anyway, been like a kid at Christmas today when it arrived (wife wish I got that excited about other things...LOL).  Sounds great, been noticing sounds to my old favorites that had not heard before.  I have noticed that my ears now have to adjust to how to listen properly again.

Again, thanks for the advice guys, got me a good entry point into quality listening.  No more cheap stuff!

You've now Taken a small plunge. Just wait cause I bet in under 2 years time you'll have upgraded your gear.
Get ready to be an addict. Anyhow, congrats buddy.
Really nice to hear good things about how happy you are with your new cans.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 03:32
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

No problem.....I used some of those big cans by Koss too as a teenager. I used to fall asleep with them on listening to Rush.....I had Rush mix tapes on reel to reel and would just lay down and listen before you know it I was out.....Something about listening to music thru headphones always makes me sleepy..dunno guess I am weird that way LOL

Once you start to hear music in a much higher quality playback, you will want to continue that path but more importantly you will hear your favorite music in a different way......I bet ya!

Cheers and have fun!

Yup. Your weird buddy!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 12:59

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Cheers and have fun!

Yup. Your weird buddy!

The DacMan has spoken....LOL
Cheers my friend
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 17:50
I'll second, third or fourth anyone who said AKG -K240's.
Have been using them live and in the studio since around 1981 and am only on my second pair now. Some people find them a little bulky but the sound is beautiful, full and clean.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Natural Mystic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 05:18
AKG yep! Even the cheaper model K540 by AKG is good enough for me. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 06:56
we have the Logitech G430 headset and are very satisfied with it. Logitech sell it for $99.99

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/product/g430-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

Edited by BaldJean - November 22 2015 at 08:20

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 00:09
Yes. It's nice to hear some of you venturing into the Scandinavian built headphones, AKG.
AKG offer sublime neutrality, especially for the cost. The 240's are a very good buy and extremely light weight!
Comfort and build quality are important factors to consider when buying a headphone.

Edited by progbethyname - November 27 2015 at 00:11
MarianoH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 08:03
http://www.edifier.com/my/en/headphones/h640p

Those have CRYSTAL QUALITY AUDIO, at first I was like "wut is this"? But hey, they didn't lie! the sound is actually crystal clear, I'm super happy with it! My songs sound even better here! I love them!
Geneyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2015 at 19:12
I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum over ear headphones. All of my other headphones have become redundant. They are the perfect headphones for me: rich, warm, natural-sounding with excellent bass presence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>