Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan you recommend me some headphones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 10:49
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice everyone, I thought I'd update with my final decision. I ended up deciding on a pair of Sennheiser HD 461's, which I'm very happy with! 

G or I?

Hmm, I can't remember. Probably I, but I'm not sure. It doesn't actually say on the headphones themselves, and I don't have the box handy, so I am regretfully unable to answer.

Maybe we can meet in the middle and say H? Tongue
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 02:38
Nevermind. It looked like a substantial price dif, but the "G" I was looking at was actually 471 rather than 461.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 04:17
AFAIK the difference between G and i is merely the plug used, straight (i) or angled (G). 

ps: I have to confess I find it difficult to get too excited by any headphones fitted with 3.5mm jacks regardless of what orientation they are. Wink

Edited by Dean - April 26 2017 at 04:21
What?
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 04:33
I'm afraid you are mistaken on this, the straight are so much better ...

Edited by Quinino - April 26 2017 at 04:34
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 04:39
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

] All I want to say is that I am happy to hear that you are making better strides to get the most out of your music. :)
Personally Dave, for a guy who loves his tunes as much as you do I'm kinda surprised you didn't do this sooner.
The smile on your face is gonna be huge for when you discover what sound sig really works for you. :)
Well me tooLOL 
To be perfectly clear; I've never used the stock iphone hp as they were beyond horrible. No I've always used Sennheiser or Sony in-ears and have been rather pleased with them.
I'm not sure why it took me this long to take interest HOW the music sinks it's way down my skull, but now that I do I am making up for lost time - believe you me. Already considering selling my ass to fund a pair of Stax l300LOL

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 26 2017 at 04:42
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 07:15
Is your ass worth that much?
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 07:31
To me yes - especially in that scenario

You wouldn't happen to own a pair Dean? I saw a jootoob review by some tech guy (Z perchance?) and when it came to actually conveying how they sounded like he was lost for words rambling about the need for some new language to properly explain his utter adoration.
He was quite alright lingo-wise when he talked about specs and comfort though. I certainly didn't understand a lot of it other than Stax makes electrostatic cans...and they sound or at least differ vastly from ordinary driver cans.
Now I'm just curious. How do 570£ headphones sound like?

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 26 2017 at 07:31
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 10:42
I have owned electrostatics, but not Stax and certainly not 570 quids worth but after 30 years faithful service they simply fell to pieces (a bit like the final moments of the original Bluesmobile). I have to say they are the closest thing to not wearing headphones I've ever heard (see, I'm not lost for words), in fact if it wasn't for the inescapable reality that all headphones place the soundstage behind you rather than in front of you I'd say the experience was like being in the best listening room your local to-notch hifi emporium has to offer. (but I may be exaggerating).
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 12:17
That just makes me even more curious, thanks
I just received my new Sony headphones today and am really breaking them in - as well as listening to a ton of new vinyl that I haven't yet had the opportunity to listen to.
Holy shickels though!! Just by plugging these things into my iPod I noticed a gigantic difference to my usual in-ears. I felt I could hear every little detail - even the bass had layers to it. When I then popped on the big jack and started listening to my records an even bigger world opened up. I may just spend the rest of the year right here on my bed.
Electronic music in particular has revealed a whole new side to it that reminded me of the time I first started listening to music. "Wow this is music"

What kind of headphones do you use nowadays Dean?

- Douglas Adams
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 16:54
Don't buy Bose, too expensive.....  Too much bass and muffled 

6/10 only on their noise cancellation!!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 22:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

My daughter bought me some JVC bluetooth SBT5s for Xmas and I mostly use those because I don't like being tethered. They're not bad considering. 
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 06:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

My daughter bought me some JVC bluetooth SBT5s for Xmas and I mostly use those because I don't like being tethered. They're not bad considering. 
I was actually looking at a pair before I purchased my Sonys but didn't want to go the wireless route (too much of a hassle to have two separate entities to charge before I can listen to music).
Then again the freedom of movement one gets with a pair of wireless HP sounds enticing to say the least.

I just ordered a pair of wireless in-ears for my sis. She's been moaning about her old ones especially since she started working out like a possessed, so I thought I'd surprise her with a new pair. Oh my word though and I thought the cans market was a jungleShockedLOL I must've surfed around for at least 4 hours before settling on my first choice, Creative Outlier Sport in neon green (no less!).
Upon ordering them I couldn't help noticing the 50% off on AKG's answer to the growing Beats market, the Y50s. Now while I'm still over the moon about my Sonys and the terrific sound they produce, they are still equipped with 3 metres worth of nondetachable chord and they're about as handy on the go as a comfy fruit-basket. 
Long story short I'm waiting for these puppies to turn up on my doorstep (and yes I did indeed opt for the American taxi cab yellowBig smile)
Billedresultat for akg y50 yellow

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 07:19
I found the Stax L300 review I was on about earlier in the thread if anyone's interested:

Incidentally, this Z fella keeps recommending cheap(ish) headphones that don't retail in EuropeAngry I've been looking high and low for Philips HD9500s and Pioneer SE1000s and found nothing (except for US deals that ask for 50-60$ on shipmentWacko).

- Douglas Adams
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 00:14
Picked up the k240 MKII's. Very clean.

Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 09:34
OK so I've read through the entire thread and my (very) limited budget brings me down to these 2 main options. AKG K 240 or ATH-M50X. I'd like sound isolation which the M50X seems to offer but comfort is also a priority and the consensus seems to go towards the K240 in this field. I'm tempted to go with the M50X but if anyone who knows both brands well could give me a few clarifications that would be much appreciated. For twice the price of the K240, I'd expect the M50X to be significantly better. Any other models around below $200 I should check out?

I'm also looking for good earbuds as I've gone through 20+ pairs in the last 5 years. Anyone familiar with the VE Monk? I just read they are sold at $5 and are allegedly better than most other earbuds.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 10:14
I have recently tried on at least a hundred different headphones - some only for a couple of minutes though but I did try both of those models you mention, and I must say that I don't get the wide appraisal of the m50x. The bass is muddy compared to most other models I've tried in that price bracket and the highs became way too bright when I turned up the volume. Personally I much prefer the m40x.Far more detail and clarity imo.

The AKGs were very nice indeed but a) they're open so your music will be playing for everyone around you and b) if you're a bass lover you may want to look elsewhere. That being said there is something there that I really dig about these headphones - a zing a musicality whatever kind of bs you care to insert be my guest.

Personal recs from me:

Open: Superlux 668 (30-40$!), Philips Fidelio X2 (I regret not buying these for half the price! They're still a steal at the current price though (200-250$) Soooo good.)

Closed: AKG K553 (My friend bought a pair and I have been jealous ever since. AKG sound signature but with a bit of bass), Sony MDR-1A (reminds me of my MDR 7506s but way cooler looking and a more "relaxed" sound.)

In-ears? I am rocking a pair of Sony MDR-EX650 AP and they're absolutely brilliant and cheap plus widely regarded as one of the best bargains for the price. I'd recommend them to just about anyone.

Also: don't trust me - trust your ears as much as possible.

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 23 2017 at 10:15

- Douglas Adams
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 11:07
Thank you for your feedback! Much appreciated.

I don't get the wide appraisal of the m50x. The bass is muddy compared to most other models I've tried in that price bracket and the highs became way too bright when I turned up the volume. Personally I much prefer the m40x.Far more detail and clarity imo.

Happy to hear that since the M40X is 50 bucks cheaper.

The AKGs were very nice indeed but a) they're open so your music will be playing for everyone around you 
Is it really that bad?
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 11:50
I have yet to discover a pair of open headphones that works in public. What you get in airyness and soundstage you pay for by a) bleeding music to your surroundings and b) you can hear everything around you including tv, chatter, dog barking etc etc. I find it easier to pick up tiny details on a closed headphone whereas an open pair needs a quiet room.
But in short: if you go for the 240s you can be sure the old mamacita next to you on the bus will be able to hear you blasting weird tunes.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 12:06
Anyway if you had your eyes set on those 240s I would probably go for the k553s. They don't bleed and they have some of the same 'magic' as the 240s without being allergic to bass (still not a bassy headphone at all, sound nicely balanced compared to say the m50x).

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 12:30
^^I have the ATH-M40X and they have a natural or neutral sound signature, not tuned more towards the bass like the big brother M50X.  I love mine and yes about $50 bucks cheaper!  

I do have a portable open on ear headphones that are great for casual listening and portable (fold up), but as David mentioned, they do bleed some and you can hear surrounding noise, but if you are on the go and walking, etc. you may want to hear that bus coming before you walk out in front of it :)

Anyway, they sound very good to me and are somewhat inexpensive (around $70), they are the Sennheiser PX100-II.  I find myself listening to these almost as much as the M40X at home.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>