Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan you recommend me some headphones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 12:57
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Anyway if you had your eyes set on those 240s I would probably go for the k553s. They don't bleed and they have some of the same 'magic' as the 240s without being allergic to bass (still not a bassy headphone at all, sound nicely balanced compared to say the m50x).
I think I'm settling for the M40X right now. I checked out the K553s but the undetachable cable is an issue (it will be torn eventually by a door knob or something like that as it often happens to me with wire devices).

My only interrogation concerning the M40X is about the neutrality of the sound. I never had hi-fi headphones and I'm not planning to become a studio producer or anything of the sort so I don't know if the flat sound will please me. I'll use them at home just for music and I've read that they are "not intended to use for enjoying music'' but rather to be able to easily discern nuances in mixing. From what I understand there is basically no sound alteration at all; you get exactly what's in the audio source. For what purposes are you guys using the M40X? Despite what I read I still think I could really like these but the "not intended to use for enjoying music" bugs me.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 13:06
Not intended for enjoying music? That's bs. They are the bee's knees. Though if you are coming from Beats or similar bass heavy headphones, in-ears you may want to look into fx the Sony MDR-1A. But trust me if this is your first pair of 'serious' cans you will just be going 'wow!" most of the time suddenly hearing new nuances and sounds on recordings you already know by heart. The Audio Technicas will most definitely do that - moreso than their pricier big brother imho.

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 23 2017 at 13:12
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 13:36
Just remembered some other closed cans that both come with detachable cable and sound amazing:

Arrhh what's it's name?!? Damn those silly digit number names that no-one can remember!!! Hell I'll just give you a link to amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio-Closed-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B01BDX1IVW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1478579399&sr=8-1&keywords=status+cb1&linkCode=sl1&tag=zeos-20&linkId=befa4b6310caf93469eca38907b6bf68

The Brainwavz HM5 are another pair I recommend highly. Also happens to be one of the most comfortable cans I've ever had on my head. My uncle has a pair and he absolutely adores them.

I realise most of these are studio level headphones but then again that is my taste shining through. I love being able to hear everything in clarity. Besides that you will have trouble finding a genuine neutral headphone under 200 dollars. I certainly haven't heard one yet. The Sony's I own fx are generally heralded as neutral but they're really not. I am pretty sure that most professional musicians use monitor speakers to mix on anyway...
Good luck buddy! I hope you find something to your liking
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 01:33
I like the sound of the m40x although they are the only "music" headphones I have ever tried. They sounded a little harsh on the high notes on my phone and I had to fiddle with the equaliser to get acceptable sound but they are fine on pc so I guess it was my phone's problem.
The worst thing about them is the downright atrocious pleather earpads. Use them until they start to wear out and have a good material spare (search online) to replace them immediately. The same problem occurs with the headband but it took way longer in my case.
Overall I'm satisfied but next time I'm going for audiophile headphones just to see what all the fuss is about.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 18:54
The M40X is officially coming my way. I haven't listened to Bitches Brew in a while and that's the album I'll be testing them with first, should be pretty interesting.

Thanks a lot for the advice David! I much appreciate the help, I would probably have ended up buying the AKG K240 otherwise and I don't think they would have suited my needs. Happy to see the captchas haven't driven you away from PA's by the way (not yet anyways).
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 13:59
Just want to say that I've enjoyed reading the comments in this thread.
All of you guys here are really starting to 'get it' when it comes grabbing hold of some different audio gear to make light of your music.

Ummmm? Dare I say it? Could you all be turning into audiophile progheads? I think so and it's a company that I'd be happy to camp out in.
Maybe we should start a thread by talking about how our audio gear discoveries have pulled the veil out from some of our favourite recordings. I think it would be a lot of fun. Maybe subjective in some ways, but it would still be really interesting to hear about others experiences. :)
I suggest this idea because I really know how a lot of you feel. It's an awesome discovery to allow crafty audio gear to grab every little nuanced detail out of your music, especially Prog no less. :)

Enjoy the music fellas.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 02:56
Hey no problem Hubert. Be sure to report back after Miles rearranges your brain. I recently had my first 'wow I can hear STUFF now' moment as well and have since then gone completely overboard. I went the weong direction though. First I bought the Sony mdr 7506 because of something I'd read....then I talked myself into actually trying out some cans in real life and ended up at various "can jams" (I believe they're called?) where I had the chance to try out a whole smorgasbord of goods. But by some strange coincidence I still managed to get the best sounding cans for my personal tastes. Sure I then found out I needed more because I also absolutely needed an open pair plus of course some portable ones and aaaasrrrgghhh!!! Be careful with your dough because this will iterally bleed you dry. The most treacherous slope though regarding all of this hi fi business is when people start listening to their equipment over the music. Trust me I've met a couple of those dudes and they have no lives outside their frequency responses and assorted snake oil artifacts.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 03:04
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Just want to say that I've enjoyed reading the comments in this thread.
All of you guys here are really starting to 'get it' when it comes grabbing hold of some different audio gear to make light of your music.

Ummmm? Dare I say it? Could you all be turning into audiophile progheads? I think so and it's a company that I'd be happy to camp out in.
Maybe we should start a thread by talking about how our audio gear discoveries have pulled the veil out from some of our favourite recordings. I think it would be a lot of fun. Maybe subjective in some ways, but it would still be really interesting to hear about others experiences. :)
I suggest this idea because I really know how a lot of you feel. It's an awesome discovery to allow crafty audio gear to grab every little nuanced detail out of your music, especially Prog no less. :)

Enjoy the music fellas.
Yeah I've been thinking about doing a designated can thread where folks can share their various experiences. 
I'm not sure I'd ever call myself an audiophile. I just care about the way music reaches my earsBig smile

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567