Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Anathema album due out in April

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Anathema album due out in April
    Posted: February 18 2012 at 00:29
Anathema fans - looks like the next Anathema album is out in April, Weather Systems, and Kscope have posted one of the new tracks for listening/downloading here: http://www.kscopemusic.com/anathema/ 

After only a couple of listens I'm hooked, its classic Anathema with their typical broody lyrics / melodic rock, and the guitar work is particularly good on this track. Hopefully the rest of this album is as good as the sample track.

Have a listen and post your thoughts!

Having only been into prog rock fan for the last 2 years, I have spent a lot of time trying to discover new prog bands, and Anathema are the band constantly that top my playlist (as do Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief), so if you have similar tastes let me know what are the similar bands to Anathema that I might like.

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 00:41
With how much I love WHBWH I'm almost nervous to listen to their latest for fear that it can't live up to my very high expectations.  But I will definitely give that track a trial.  Wish me luck!  Smile

While not really sounding specifically all that similar, I categorize both Anathema and Riverside in the "atmospheric rock/metal" category.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 00:55
Infocat, it should be a worthy successor to WHBWH from the sounds of the trial track (you can sign up to their mailing list for the mp3 download).

Yes, I have a couple of the Riverside albums, but I don't find them as consistent as Anathema.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 10:49
Had to do a search and was surprised how little came up on this band. Seem to be right off the radar. Downloaded Weather Systems today and mightily impressed. Post rock and metal influences with tons of melody and wonderfully produced. I havn't heard anything this good for a long. One track in particular Storm Before The Calm is an absolute killer although the whole album is top notch Clap
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 13:47
Have you heard their previous release, We're Here Because We're Here?  Even better!

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 22:17
Agreed, check out their back catalogue if you like Weather Systems. Go back to Alternative 4 or Judgement, before that they were a doom metal band - their music has become more polished and more accessible over the years.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 00:44
I will explore further thanksThumbs Up
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 11:23
I only discovered them in last year or so ( stable mates of Porcupine Tree, Gazpacho etc on the KScope label)

Invested in Were Here Because Were Here on the back of some good reviews . Not disappointed.

Since then have got some of the back catalogue including Judgement, A Fine Day to Exit , A Natural Disaster and Falling Deeper.

Have been impressed with the quality throughout.

Picked up their latest Weather Systems only recently, but certainly up their as one of their best IMO.

They have certainly changed from the early days of the more doom metal stuff (not to everyone's approval) but I like the recent stuff a lot.

Very underrated band

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 15:58
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Have you heard their previous release, We're Here Because We're Here?  Even better!

just had my first listen but not loving it as much as Weather Systems. The only adjective that springs to mind immediately is 'nice'. Not especially earth shattering but I realise that first listens can be very deceptive!
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 20:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

just had my first listen but not loving it as much as Weather Systems. The only adjective that springs to mind immediately is 'nice'. Not especially earth shattering but I realise that first listens can be very deceptive!

Perhaps a symptom of "the first one I heard is the best"?
Anyway...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 00:47

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Perhaps a symptom of "the first one I heard is the best"?
Anyway...
maybe although I suspect that to my ears the latest has more standout moments while WHBWH is a more consistent effort lacking anything especially memorable. Over time its consistency that people come to appreciate (I think).
Meddle71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 03:55
I really like both albums, and I like to listen to them both in the same day, they seem to have similar themes. Mortality and whatnot. I'd give Weather Systems a slight edge though, even though I didn't think they could top WHBWH.
And everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon
 Post Reply Post Reply