Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Death Defying Unicorn - Motorpsycho

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Death Defying Unicorn - Motorpsycho
    Posted: February 18 2012 at 02:10
Motorpsycho and Ståle Storløkken have givven the prog landscape a shattering new addition, the album is to say the least overwhelming, it is a hard album to categorise since it is very complex both in soundscape but also in arangement, alot of stuff is happening in the album at the same time, very dynamic and climatic album,

I fear that this album will fall into the sea of obscuraty and not be noticed, as the new Tool album ot Meshuggah album, but this album should not be overlooked, to me it is Motorpsychos first true prog rock album, this is 100% prog rock in the avant garde side of things, by avant i mean AVANT, and eclectic, rate your music have even used a zeuhl tag on it so it might appeal to Magma fans,

it is a bit retro but in a good way, it feals very inspired and enthusiastic, and also very beutifull in places, the violin work on the record is splended, It can be compared to Herritage by Opeth in the regard that it looks back on 70s concept albums and feal, but it also have a more modern soundscapes as Opeths album have...., i will also say it have similar atmosphere to Ulvers - War of the Roses, in its arctic feal, coldness, melancholy

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W5UZln2bPA4/TxlnhJbc18I/AAAAAAAABrg/DDOUH7nhGZg/s400/13440_g.jpg

Edited by aginor - February 18 2012 at 02:14
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 09:32
Sounds better than Heavy Metal Fruit so far.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 10:23
Heavy Metal Fruit is probably my favorite from the band, don't know why it's rated so low. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 11:42
i hope someone will review it soon, i hope Wurthur takes his ears to some Psycho Motors , i like his reviews,

Epignosis should might also like the album, and i suspect Logan might enjoy it as well
Capt Fongsby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 17:05
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Heavy Metal Fruit is probably my favorite from the band, don't know why it's rated so low. 

You and me both. Killer from start to finish, I say.

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 22:01
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Agreed, even though I LOVE Heavy Metal Fruit. I'd better get to know this band a lil better.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 10:51
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Agreed, even though I LOVE Heavy Metal Fruit. I'd better get to know this band a lil better.
they have a extensive discograpgie but not as wiplash in style switching as Ulver but close
tired_feet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 14:35
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

they have a extensive discograpgie but not as wiplash in style switching as Ulver but close
Agreed. Usually it's their albums between '93-'98 that's considered their huuuuge masterpieces. BUT it's not all that prog rock, to be honest. More like progressive in the true sense of the word (never making the same record twice).

And the new album sounds great! A natural progression from Heavy Metal Fruit. Trivia quiz: Spot the Yes riff they more or less replicate in Mutiny! (kinda blatant)
Capt Fongsby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 15:47
Originally posted by tired_feet tired_feet wrote:

Trivia quiz: Spot the Yes riff they more or less replicate in Mutiny! (kinda blatant)

The intro to "Changes" from Yes' 90125 album.

Edited by Capt Fongsby - February 19 2012 at 15:49
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 19:02
Man, this album is amazing.

Easily AOTY material. Gives me hope for a great year. But it's also true that my favourite albums of the last two years were all released early in the year.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 19:24
It is indeed a very promising record.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 22:58
Once it becomes available in the US on cd I shall buy it.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 01:25
i just got it the other day and litened to it maybe three times while i was doing tons of other things...
but i did notice a change of sound from their latest albums.
sound very good..
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 13:48
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Motorpsycho and Ståle Storløkken have givven the prog landscape a shattering new addition, the album is to say the least overwhelming, it is a hard album to categorise since it is very complex both in soundscape but also in arangement, alot of stuff is happening in the album at the same time, very dynamic and climatic album,

I fear that this album will fall into the sea of obscuraty and not be noticed, as the new Tool album ot Meshuggah album, but this album should not be overlooked, to me it is Motorpsychos first true prog rock album, this is 100% prog rock in the avant garde side of things, by avant i mean AVANT, and eclectic, rate your music have even used a zeuhl tag on it so it might appeal to Magma fans,

it is a bit retro but in a good way, it feals very inspired and enthusiastic, and also very beutifull in places, the violin work on the record is splended, It can be compared to Herritage by Opeth in the regard that it looks back on 70s concept albums and feal, but it also have a more modern soundscapes as Opeths album have...., i will also say it have similar atmosphere to Ulvers - War of the Roses, in its arctic feal, coldness, melancholy

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W5UZln2bPA4/TxlnhJbc18I/AAAAAAAABrg/DDOUH7nhGZg/s400/13440_g.jpg

Just heard of these guys on this radio station: http://www.thedividingline.com/eima.html

AJ featured Mutiny! and they killed it! Awesome tune. The nod to Yes's Changes was pretty cool too.  I will have to check these guys out.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 02:16
Originally posted by Capt Fongsby Capt Fongsby wrote:

Originally posted by tired_feet tired_feet wrote:

Trivia quiz: Spot the Yes riff they more or less replicate in Mutiny! (kinda blatant)

The intro to "Changes" from Yes' 90125 album.
I noticed this straight away when I listened to this monster for the first time yesterday !!  Got the dbl LP through Syn Phonic earlier in the week and with great anticipation gave my undivided attention to it.  Man, it was hard going, massive walls of sound, lots going on, relentless drumming and the main reason for my curiosity - Stale Storlokken.  His keyboard input is minimal, though cool to hear his distorted Hammond in parts, but his contribution to composition and arrangement is vastly different to what he achieves in Elephant9 and extensive throughout.  This is one album that will need many spins to fully 'nail', but it is something that has given modern Prog a kick up the back-side !!  This, Panzerpappa, and Elephant9 are amongst the best Prog Norway has to offer.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 02:49
No doubt about it, this is a monster album. I agree with Tom it's one of the most refreshing and unique albums to come out lately, the heavy use of orchestrated parts also combined with the heavy sound is working very well and sounds natural and not out of place.

It does take a few spins to fully grasp what's going on.
 Post Reply Post Reply