Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Mayhew on Trespass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 09:13
Trespass is nearly as good as Selling England by the Pound but better than Foxtrot. John Mayhew would have been awful on Selling England by the Pound, but he was not awful on Tresspass. Different things were called for. If the band were wishing for a more guiding and driving drum beat on Tresspass too, then fine (It's not clear to me Anthony Phillips was), but the album would have had a different less classical feel. For me Trespass is a gem that I would not like to hear altered, and Mayhew ought not to be maligned for his contribution, I don't think.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 06:43
Oh and I agree with the Mick Pointer POV - bloody awful drummer , and I saw him live half a dozen times....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 06:40
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I don't believe Trespass is the best Genesis album, but I consider it better than SEbtP, The Lamb and every Collins era album.

Iván
Whoa.......Genesis from 1970 - 1977...then they became a pop band...
Tresspass is very feminine except for "The Knife"...soft 12 strings...excellent album especially Stagnation, I just Love he guitar motif when Gabriel sighs..."and must I wait forever......"
But - Then came in Collins and Nursery Cryme was an overall marked improvement on Trespass......Only weak track is the "For Absent Friends...",  Salmacis.... is in the top 50 prog tracks of all time (well of the ones I've heard anyway)...then the Foxtrot - "Suppers Ready"......and you're into the top 20 tracks of all time.....
AND THEN THE MASTERPIECE......Selling England by the pound...the best symphonic prog album of the seventies by a freaking country mile......has three of the top 10 prog tracks of all time and the BEST prog guitar solo to boot.....
The lamb had a lot to live up to after that and sadly (though still excellent) droppped below the standards set in the previous 3 recordings...similarly TOTT and then a big improvement in WAW - even with collins singing this captures earlier glories with the excellent - Blood on the Rooftops.....
It's all about opinions bu I reckon 99.99% of Genesis freaks would consider that SeBTP to be their pinnacle.....
Who disagrees???
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2012 at 15:34
For non Marillion fans... what does ^that mean?

This space intentionally left blank

prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2012 at 00:56
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

I would compare John Mayhew's drumming on Trespass to Mick Pointer's on Script Wink
A very apt analogy - very well stated...
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 22:35
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> He's not the tightest drummer I heard but his job is fine on the album. It's not excellent but it's good.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 21:28
Trespass is close to Genesis best album. Nice compositions. Not a weak track. The band replaced 2 members for the next album and the composition quality dropped. There's 3 or 4 weakish songs on Nursery imo. The songs on Trespass are cool and the drumming is fine.

Edited by dr prog - July 02 2012 at 21:29
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 17:26
This is an intriguing thread. I've pondered this myself at times. Trespass is among my top ten favorite albums, so his performance didn't do anything to disrupt my own appreciation of the album. I used to be a good amateur guitar player, definitely not a drummer. I do understand what another said about following with the rhythm rather than providing rhythm. However, Anthony Phillips and others were influenced by classical music, and classical music may involve percussion, but it doesn't normally have a back beat. The other instruments do normally provide the time (or stretch it freely). In my opinion his tentative playing suited the elegant ornate feel of the album. Trespass marked a transition from an acoustic heavy sound to an electric heavy sound, and Mayhew was there for that transition at an appropriate time (one might say the same about Anthony Phillips who shined more on 12-string than electric, but whose departure had nothing to do with limitations of playing ability - he was quite good indeed). I propose that if Phil Collins had put his authoritative drumming on Trespass, it might have been good in a different way, but it would not have had quite that same feel.

There's a very precious interview of John Mayhew on World of Genesis:
http://www.worldofgenesis.com/JohnMayhewInterview2006.htm

I like how Mr. Mayhew himself put it in the interview:
"What happened was that I locked horns with myself, really, and I thought, “Oh goodness, I can do anything to spoil or inhibit their musical flow” or whatever and deferred to the music itself and cut everything down to a very spare way of playing in consequence… I realize now."

bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 13:53

I completely disagree with him,

He was there, so if there was a problem with the drumming (and if the band had a problem with JM) he would know. And even if he never said it, I think one can hear it. JA's no fool, I talked to him at length a couple of times while doing the VdGG book, and he's a very sharp music guy with a great track record (besides working with Genesis and VdGG, he produced Queen, Roxy Music, Al Stewart, and had a major production hit with "How Long" by Ace)

his work at Nursery Cryme is terrible

I thought it was a very good production job, and he did a fantastic job with Pawn Hearts the same year.

BTW: The time had to be given by the full rhythm section, and if you blame Mayhew, you must blame Mike also.

You can have Stanley Clarke on bass, and if the drummer is not very good (following time instead of giving it, etc) then it's not going to sound very good. Phil Collins once said that a great drummer can make a mediocre band sound great, and a mediocre drummer can make a great band sound mediocre. In my own experience, I've seen that to be the case (both scenarios). So, there's nothing Mike could have done.

I honestly don't trust john Anthony too much, remember that Genesis  started to work with David Hitchcock who improved the sound clearly in Foxtrot

Not by choice. JA got the boot by Strat for spending too much time on the Happy The Man single (so the story goes) and Gallo wished that JA had done Foxtrot. I, too, don't think that Foxtrot is any big improvement over NC (although the 9/8 section of Supper's Ready is sonically awesome).

I also think Genesis was fair with JM. He just wasn't very good. They weren't horrible people, so to do something as unpleasant as firing someone in a band, there had to have been a reason. The reason was they knew they could do a lot better.

jc
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:46
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

John Anthony (Genesis/VdGG producer) discussing the problems with Trespass: "John Mayhew couldn't really drum; he wasn't giving them time, he was following theirs... [Trespass] was like a beautiful work, without the necessary foundation, and this was very much felt."

I completely disagree with him, his work at Nursery Cryme is terrible, the drums sound as tin cans, this is not Phil's responsability, but the producer's who did a sub-par job.

I feel that Trespass is well balanced and everybody was perfect for the album.

BTW: The time had to be given by the full rhythm section, and if you blame Mayhew, you must blame Mike also. but Mike really developed, we don't know how much John could had evolved in time.

I honestly don't trust john Anthony too much, remember that Genesis  started to work with David Hitchcock who improved the sound clearly in Foxtrot

Armando Gallo (famed Genesis biographer/friend) discussing Trespass: "...a frustrating album to listen to because you can feel the direction that the band were moving towards, and the difficulty that they were having getting there. The rhythm section of Mike on bass and John Mayhew's drums is never confident enough to give the album a solid foudation."

Again, Gallo blames Mayhew and Rutherford, but Mike improved a lot, I believe Genesis was a bit unfair with John, to the point that he had some "negotiations"  Genesis for his royalties on Trespass at least until 2006  http://www.worldofgenesis.com/JohnMayhewInterview2006-Page2.htm  which I'm not sure if he ever got

Iván 

[/QUOTE]

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 02 2012 at 20:21

bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:24
On the other hand, if I think about the band Yes...

Time & A Word is my fave Yes album. I know that almost everyone favors Steve Howe over Peter Banks, and I've read where Howe has commented that he wished he'd played on this album. Undoubtedly, SH is the better guitarist, at least technically and I also think he's a better writer.

BUT... I wouldn't change a thing on T&AW. I would hate to think of that album with Howe's million-note runs because the guitar (and everything else) on that album is already perfect. So, I totally get this comment:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I think the album gets a lot of its charm from the somewhat tentative performances of all the band members (compared to later albums, at any rate).  Phil may well have been able to do a better job, but I think the whole character of the album would have changed and it wouldn't be so unique in their discography.  So for that, I'm glad Mayhew was the drummer, even if I much prefer Collins drumming in general.  Definitely doesn't ruin the album for me.

Still, I'm not sure that my T&AW / Trespass situation is an apt analogy because I think Peter Banks was a better guitarist than John Mayhew was a drummer (Banks, while not as good as Howe, was at least a good, really talented guitarist whereas I just don't think the same about John Mayhew's drumming)
jc
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:10
Originally posted by spknoevl spknoevl wrote:

I know that in a long term Collins was the best Genesis drummer (with the bonus of his great backing vocals), but I don't know if he would had done a better job with Trespass

Trust me, he would have...

You don't really know that; the band was still young and not all that tight themselves.  I'm not sure Phil could have added all that much more to Trespass.

John Anthony (Genesis/VdGG producer) discussing the problems with Trespass: "John Mayhew couldn't really drum; he wasn't giving them time, he was following theirs... [Trespass] was like a beautiful work, without the necessary foundation, and this was very much felt."

I'll go with his (and my own ears') assessment. Remember, the band fired JM and there was a reason for that.

Armando Gallo (famed Genesis biographer/friend) discussing Trespass: "...a frustrating album to listen to because you can feel the direction that the band were moving towards, and the difficulty that they were having getting there. The rhythm section of Mike on bass and John Mayhew's drums is never confident enough to give the album a solid foudation."

And then once Phil joins for Nursery Cryme... Armando Gallo: "Phil's powerful drumming makes them sound like a real band."

Again, I don't think JM's playing sinks the album and he is at least adequate. Certainly his playing allowed the band to complete what turned out to be a good, solid album. But it would have been better (the aggressive sections would have had more fire and power, the complicated bits would have sounded smoother and more confident, etc) with Phil (or Guy Evans, or Alan White, or Franz DiCiocco, or Mike Giles, etc) on drums.

jc
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 09:55
I first heard The Knife on Genesis Live, so when I heard it on Trespass I was a bit disappointed that the drumming on it was so much less dynamic and powerful (I could say similar things about the guitar playing, though Hackett did retain some of the guitar solo in it's album form for the live shows).  I've also heard Phil play Stagnation from that album......and it seemed to me he was overplaying a bit.  Of course, in that case I was more used to the Trespass version.

Overall, I think the album gets a lot of its charm from the somewhat tentative performances of all the band members (compared to later albums, at any rate).  Phil may well have been able to do a better job, but I think the whole character of the album would have changed and it wouldn't be so unique in their discography.  So for that, I'm glad Mayhew was the drummer, even if I much prefer Collins drumming in general.  Definitely doesn't ruin the album for me.
spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 07:40

I know that in a long term Collins was the best Genesis drummer (with the bonus of his great backing vocals), but I don't know if he would had done a better job with Trespass

You don't really know that; the band was still young and not all that tight themselves.  I'm not sure Phil could have added all that much more to Trespass.
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:49

jc
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 02:05
Trespass is one of my favourite Genesis albums, so the drumming doesn't ruin it for me, but I do find the drumming quite tedious and it has seemed to me in places that the drumming is not quite on beat with the music.  The timing seems a bit off in, say, Visions of angels to my non-drummer ear as if he is following the song rather than leading it rhythmically.  A little off-beat can be interesting, but not in this case.  
Just a fanboy passin' through.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 01:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

It's hard being the shadow of Phil Collins.  His drumming didn't ruin the album for me.

Ditto.  He was competent if not exceptional.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 19:29
I honestly never found the problem in Mayhew's performance.

He was perfect for Trespass, very few drummers could had made it, because it has very complex sections, I know that in a long term Collins was the best Genesis drummer (with the bonus of his great backing vocals), but I don't know if he would had done a better job with Trespass.

I don't believe Trespass is the best Genesis album, but I consider it better than SEbtP, The Lamb and every Collins era album.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 23 2012 at 19:31

Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 19:19

It's probably because he wasn't  rythmically locked in with them! Wink (just having a bit of fun!)

HAh! that may be the key :) And to be fair to Phil I'll restate I'm no big fan of drums and people who know drums probably know better.

This space intentionally left blank

spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 11:29
It's difficult to compare them since we only really know Mayhew from the rather subdued Trespass while we' ve managed to hear Phil in numerous Genesis recordings as well as his solo work and Brand X.  Brand X, especially, gave him a nice showcase for his drumming skills and showed a side of his playing that was really only hinted at in Genesis.  Trick of the Tail is the first Genesis album that really showcased Phil's drumming, to hear ears.
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>