Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Mayhew on Trespass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 16:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

John Anthony's rather 'raw' production doesn't help things, especially concerning the drums.......
Perhaps Mayhew was playing material beyond his capabilities, but I don't think his work dragged the album down. Would've been nice had Collins joined at this point, but he didn't. Put it this way, Mayhew was a vast improvement on Jonathan Silver.

I definitely agree with you, though, about John Anthony's production. I think he was a fine producer, but those early albums (Trespass, The Least...) did have a muddled murkiness about them. He even admitted years later that his production on Trespass wasn't up to snuff. About a year or so after Trespass, though, he was doing fantastic work on Pawn Hearts which still stands up today.

Also agree that JM's drumming didn't ruin the album (not by any stretch). His playing is serviceable. It may not add much to the music, but it doesn't kill it either (kind of like a "game manager" type of backup, 2nd string quarterback [for you U.S. football fans] who isn't going to throw for 300 yards, or make 30 - 40 yard completions, but he's not going to throw interceptions or fumble the ball away either).
jc
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 05:46
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

John Mayhew on 'Trespass' reminds me of Guy Evans on 'The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other'.

...except that Guy played great (i.e. White Hammer) JM didn't. Wink
I did forget to mention the fact that Guy is leagues ahead of Mayhew in skill and inventiveness. They both had a similar sound though. Thanks John Anthony (who didn't ruin anything btw), I hold both albums in very high regard. Pure works of art.
sturoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 08:59
The key difference is Guy Evans continued to play on and has not stopped, John Mayhew did not.
So unless you take a snapshot comparison right at the exact time both were active or anyone else for that matter, Comparisons will mean nothing.

I think this thread is taking on 'dead horse' status now.
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 10:52
Originally posted by sturoc sturoc wrote:

So unless you take a snapshot comparison right at the exact time both were active

That's what I was doing (because I thought Tom O was doing that and saying Guy and JM were similar in '70; they weren't, Guy was much better, but I might have misunderstood that Tom was referring to the way both were produced by John Anthony). 
jc
Greta007 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 05:11
As a drummer of 30 years I think the criticism of JM's drumming is over the top.  "Can't play"?  "Bad"?  Comments like that should be reserved for someone like the Shaggs's drummer when they first started out (Supreme Mistress of the oblique polyrhythm Smile).  Pro musicians are always strong players (at least before ProTools and autotune) and prog players especially so. JM was a damn good drummer, if not in the same league of Phil and Bill (very few are).

John's performance was expressive and helped create atmosphere.  Who cares about a bit of looseness and a bit of tastelessness?  What's wrong with a bit of dirt? Must everything be prissy perfect all the time?  I say this as an old tragic of the most notorious perfectionists around - Crimmo and Uncle Frank. It's not their perfection that I enjoy but their creativity, atmosphere, flair and intelligence.

Trespass has loads of character, arguably more atmospheric than other Genesis releases, and John M was part of that, warts and all. It wasn't all JM's warts either.  Peter G was pitchy at times but that didn't diminish his dynamic performance on the album to my ear either, not to mention fluid timing from the whole band. 

Stagnation is outstanding with that beautiful middle section. Looking for Someone was another great track with fun drums. I don't understand all this talk about him being circumspect either.  He laid out when he was supposed to and when he came in he sounded like he was really hammering those tubs. At times JM reminded me of Moonie (compliment) - crazy call-responses all over the place. Wasn't so keen on his overplaying in Visions of Angels - hardly circumspect - but apparently he didn't arrange the drum parts.  Of course, if we were going to shoot proggers for overreaching, it would be sorry state of affairs LOL

I love Phil's drumming - always did - and I appreciate that Genesis wanted a jazzier, more sophisticated drummer who needed less supervision.  However, I agree with those who doubted that Phil would have improved the album. It's a false assumption. Better is not always better, if you get my drift.
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 08:26
Not as good as Collins obviously, but very few people are. Love the tone he gets on Trespass. Sort of like Mike Giles on the King Crimson debut, but less in the way of everything, so it fitted with the more airy atmosphere. Overall, glad they got rid of him (was it him or John Silver that was a slow learner/not versatile enough?) Nevertheless, very important to the album and glad this thread was made Smile
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 16:45
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

. Sort of like Mike Giles on the King Crimson debut,

This is heresy of the rankest sort.
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:10
Originally posted by Greta007 Greta007 wrote:

As a drummer of 30 years I think the criticism of JM's drumming is over the top.  "Can't play"?  "Bad"?  Comments like that should be reserved for someone like the Shaggs's drummer when they first started out (Supreme Mistress of the oblique polyrhythm Smile).  Pro musicians are always strong players (at least before ProTools and autotune) and prog players especially so. JM was a damn good drummer, if not in the same league of Phil and Bill (very few are).

John's performance was expressive and helped create atmosphere.  Who cares about a bit of looseness and a bit of tastelessness?  What's wrong with a bit of dirt? Must everything be prissy perfect all the time?  I say this as an old tragic of the most notorious perfectionists around - Crimmo and Uncle Frank. It's not their perfection that I enjoy but their creativity, atmosphere, flair and intelligence.

Trespass has loads of character, arguably more atmospheric than other Genesis releases, and John M was part of that, warts and all. It wasn't all JM's warts either.  Peter G was pitchy at times but that didn't diminish his dynamic performance on the album to my ear either, not to mention fluid timing from the whole band. 

Stagnation is outstanding with that beautiful middle section. Looking for Someone was another great track with fun drums. I don't understand all this talk about him being circumspect either.  He laid out when he was supposed to and when he came in he sounded like he was really hammering those tubs. At times JM reminded me of Moonie (compliment) - crazy call-responses all over the place. Wasn't so keen on his overplaying in Visions of Angels - hardly circumspect - but apparently he didn't arrange the drum parts.  Of course, if we were going to shoot proggers for overreaching, it would be sorry state of affairs LOL

I love Phil's drumming - always did - and I appreciate that Genesis wanted a jazzier, more sophisticated drummer who needed less supervision.  However, I agree with those who doubted that Phil would have improved the album. It's a false assumption. Better is not always better, if you get my drift.

I agree with you that saying JM was 'bad' or 'couldn't play' is an unfair assessment. But it's not an either/or situation either. I can say that he just wasn't a very good drummer but it doesn't mean that it's because I like things to be 'perfect' or without a bit of dirt. Genesis weren't the Velvet Underground. The Trespass songs are okay the way they are (JM didn't ruin the album) but they could have been better. JM was closer to Mo Tucker than he was to Phil Collins. But Mo was perfect for the VU; Ringo was perfect for the Beatles; but for the type of music Genesis was doing, JM just didn't cut it and one can hear that. If he was cutting it, he wouldn't have been let go.
jc
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:16
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

. Sort of like Mike Giles on the King Crimson debut,

This is heresy of the rankest sort.
I have no idea why Mike Giles is so underappreciated. His timing on Scizhoid Man was simply fantastic. I feel like starting a thread just to address this.  LOL
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 13:40

It's hard to hear anything on early Genesis albums -  I swear they recorded everything up to the Lamb underwater.  The remasters help a little, but I'm still waiting for versions of the early albums with decent sonic fidelity. 

And, yeah, Mike Giles had great feel - he was no Bruford, but his touch really enhanced ITCOTCK.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345