Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg used in the classroom!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 13:20
Yes!!!  My big chance has come!  the school where I work is planning a nonformal education day in which the teachers can set up workshops for various educational purposes...  I volunteered to set up a music workshop.  Of course the material needs to be reasonably accessible and I will inevitably have to make some compromises and have some more commercial stuff.  Also the lyrics need to be meaningful, accessible and provide a basis for class discussion.   The students are aged 11 to 18 and their native language isn't English, though their grasp of English is good, the idea is that it will encourage them to learn English through music.   Also it would have to be available from legal sources such as YouTube or MySpace... any suggestions?
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:28
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Live Snakes and Arrows (amazing song telling fans the stage is not all its cracked up to be)

during their Snakes & Arrows Tour. Recorded live at the Ahoy Arena in Rotterdam, Netherlands
(Holland) on October 16/17, 2007... with the use of 21 high definition cameras. Complete with
dinosaurs, barbie dolls, and roast rotisserie chicken

I was there Smile

And congratulations for spreading the Prog word to your students !

convocation View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 16:56
VDGG sounds too off the track.
Hit them with something catchier.
In my experience, college students are more fun that way.
Try UK or something
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 17:11
I've tried to incorporate progressive rock in my classes, but it's largely a matter of pearls before swine.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 10:43
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I've tried to incorporate progressive rock in my classes, but it's largely a matter of pearls before swine.

Good gracious ... you must be talking about this board, or something?

It is a tough matter all around. I left the world of the academic BS because of my family's high standing in the literary world, and the ultimate garbage ... that their poop don't stink. I have fun with you guys here, because sometimes the attitude towards the definition and the work is so similar ... I want to put on film for fun, some of the "intelectual conversations" about Fellini, or Antonioni, or ... Bunuel that I was privy to ... but folks here can not relate to "art" too well, or at least to something different than the 4 chords they know ... and that Minor is sad and Major is Happy! So I tend to play devil's advocate at times ... but I learned a long time ago that if you're casting pearls before swine, that taking a long look at the mirror tells me one of the lines I love the most in the movies ... who's the greater fool? ... think about it!

But you ought to hear the conversation about the kid taking a pee in the Fellini film ... it's so surrealistic that it makes Bunuel and Dali look like total idiots and they invented the mode! And in the end, no one discussed the little kid ... who just needed to take a pee! ... how about ditching the reality in the middle of it all?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 15:42
Hey, I don't know if this counts, but my Electronic Music Ensemble is covering "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"...

Edited by Zombywoof - March 07 2012 at 15:42
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123