Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave You Ever Seen A Movie At A Drive In?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Have You Ever Seen A Movie At A Drive In?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [56.76%]
12 [32.43%]
1 [2.70%]
3 [8.11%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 15:36
I went to see one just in the last 10 years.  It was Spider Man with Toby Driver... uh Maguire.  That's the only one though.   Glad I got to try it.  Unfortunately, I locked my friend in the trunk and had to go find a crowbar... or was that a Cheech and Chong skit....
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 15:54
Sneaking in people in the trunk was an essential part of the drive in experience.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 15:57
They just closed the one I went to on occasion, as a child.  Remember seeing Down Periscope there.  It was the opening movie in a double-header but I can't recall what the main feature was.

Time always wins.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 16:19
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Sneaking in people in the trunk was an essential part of the drive in experience.

I remember being thrown in the trunk with a flashlight and promises of candy if I kept quiet. I was deathly afraid of the dark as a young kid, but I never blew my cover.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 16:41
Yes,and we still have one in our area that is VERY popular called Bengies.We probably go there a few times every summer,it's like a tradition around here.

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 17:05
There's websites devoted to drive-in theatres and keeping track of which ones are still operational.  Here's one.

The Lynn Drive-In in Strasburg, Ohio (a wide place in the road about 15 miles south of Canton) is the second oldest continuously operating drive-in in the country.

Edited by zappaholic - February 27 2012 at 17:06
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 21:21

My parents used to take us to drive-ins in Montana when I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s.  It was cheap entertainment for a family of six on a limited budget and only three channels of TV at home (including the Canadian Broadcasting station).  The first movie I remember seeing there was Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid with Paul Newman, Robert Redford and the very lovely Katharine Ross around 1970, and we were treated to a little side-nipple shot of Ms. Ross Tongue

We also saw Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, a Clint Eastwood movie that was filmed in my hometown of Great Falls, Montana and which included a scene where my old middle school was blown up.  A bunch of us kids from the neighborhood got to watch that being filmed from down the street.

When I was a teenager in Kansas a lot of us used to go to the drive-in near the Wichita East mall and watch stuff on the weekend like The Wall, FM, Heavy Metal and The Rocky Horror Picture Show plus a lot of Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson movies.  That theater was torn down in the mid-eighties and I went by to pick up a few bricks from the concession stand to use as bookends in my apartment.

During college at Wichita State in the mid-eighties there were weekends with horror movie marathons from the Friday the 13th and Halloween series at the Starlight on South Hydraulic.  That theater is still active today.

And one of my brothers and I used to make road trips to Kansas City on summer weekends to the Boulevard drive-in and get hammered while sitting in front of our car.  One night he got so drunk he passed out and I left him there.  He wasn't too happy when he trudged up the street to our hotel at dawn with a bent up lawn chair under his arm LOL

There are a couple near where I live now that have both been around for more than 60 years, but I haven't been to either of them yet.  Kind of hard to imagine my kids getting excited about a big fuzzy screen, mosquitoes and stale popcorn when they have HD TV and Blu-Ray players at home, but drive-ins were pretty cool in their time.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 07:32

Once only, and mostly to say I'd done it...  Couldn't possible remember which turd I saw that night, but it was more of the party idea (beers & doobies)

It's one of the most blatant form of American-styled western decadence, IMHO (although I confess having eaten at drive-in fast- foods some more timesEmbarrassed) ... Never thought it was a correct way to watch a movie.... those stupid speakers that you had to hang out from your window... HOW COULD IT POSSIBLY GIVE YOU A GOOD SOUND? what if it rains??

Not sure, but in the wider Toronto area (roughly 5M people),there was only one drive-in movie (in Oakville, if memory serves) ...

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 10:15
They haven't had those speakers for ages.You tune in to a certain frequency on your car radio.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 11:15
My most vivid memory of a drive-in experience was with my mom and dad who took me with them to see a double feature of "Tunnel vision" and "Up in smoke". These were funny movies to a 9-year-old. Saw them later in life and gawd are they awful. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 11:29
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

They haven't had those speakers for ages.You tune in to a certain frequency on your car radio.
Fine make me feel older than dirt.

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Kind of hard to imagine my kids getting excited about a big fuzzy screen, mosquitoes and stale popcorn

And that's just at the indoor movie theaters. Tongue
Oh, I'm sorry, that's sticky floors, obnoxious loud talking fellow movie goers, and stale popcorn for the indoor ones. 

I think with HD TV and home theater systems, the indoor movie theaters will join the drive in ones as mostly a thing of the past.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 28 2012 at 11:36
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 13:58
We had them everywhere in the sixties and seventies. Still have one going near my house in Melbourne. They used to give you two films, now it is only one and like the cinema, they clear out the Drive In and put another audience in. No more putting the speaker in window, you just tune in the car radio to the Drive In frequency for the movie's audio. They used to have swings for the kids just near the screen and I still  took my kids when they were little as well.

Do you know how many girlfriends I took to the Drive In? Used to go all the time. Cheap date LOL

They got rid of many here due to Land values. They all have beautiful shopping Malls or ram jam packed apartments on them now. (  agents term for putting a extra twenty grand on the price) Apartments were called flats here originally till the eighties.) 

I saw "Apocalypse Now" on the day we had Ash Wednesday ( huge bushfire). I was in the metro area of the state and the day had got to 44 or 110 degrees and I was with my soon to be wife and the wind changed and all the dust , ash and soot from the fires came with it. I just had shorts on and was covered in sh*t which just stuck to me due to the sweat all over me.
Matt

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:04
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

It's one of the most blatant form of American-styled western decadence, IMHO 

Oh I think we have much more egregious examples of American decadence than drive-in movies, my friend.  This is a related one I find particularly appalling (drive-in churches).  Almost as bad as drive-in liquor stores, which are about as counter-intuitive an idea as any I've ever seen.  In fact, "Examples of American Decadence" sounds like a great thread topic! Confused

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:10
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Fine make me feel older than dirt.

I just turned 46,not exactly a spring chicken.Wink

I remember the days of the speakers,but they haven't been used at our local drive in since the 70's.

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:13
LOL Drive in Worship  

Yes Do it do it! 

Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:23
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

It's one of the most blatant form of American-styled western decadence, IMHO (although I confess having eaten at drive-in fast- foods some more timesEmbarrassed)

Lol what?
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:24

Almost as bad as drive-in liquor stores, which are about as counter-intuitive an idea as any I've ever seen. 

Why is that a counter-intuitive idea? I use one every weekend. It's pretty great.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:37
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Almost as bad as drive-in liquor stores, which are about as counter-intuitive an idea as any I've ever seen. 

Why is that a counter-intuitive idea? I use one every weekend. It's pretty great.

Could be worse I guess...

Albert Camus
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 15:15
What's the problem with a drive in liquor store? Confused
You are making the presumption that people who use them are driving drunk and can't stumble out of their cars to walk in.
Oh and by the way, that's actually a drive thru in the picture and if you're going to drive thru a liquor store...

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 28 2012 at 15:18

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 22:34
No. But if i could find one around here I would def go.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>