FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoctor Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 11:00
It's a children's television programme, not Shakespeare.  The shows producers painted themselves into a corner with the 12 regenerations plot device in the mid-70s as part of a story line featuring the Master, as no one at the time expected the series to last this long, it was never seen as a problem. However any solution was always going to be a cop-out no matter what it was. 
What?
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 12:57
I agree. It wasn't my favourite explanation, but I was left satisfied nonetheless. The episode itself was very uneven. 
Bigger on the inside.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 14:50
It wasn't clear to me if he got just one additional regeneration or a whole new set of twelve.  I thought it was the latter.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 17:11
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

It wasn't clear to me if he got just one additional regeneration or a whole new set of twelve.  I thought it was the latter.
It was pretty clear to me: "Ha! It's started - I can't stop it now, this is just the reset, a whole new regeneration cycle" ... in previous uses of the phrase regeneration cycle that has referred to the 12-regenerations.
What?
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 17:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

It was pretty clear to me: "Ha! It's started - I can't stop it now, this is just the reset, a whole new regeneration cycle" ... in previous uses of the phrase regeneration cycle that has referred to the 12-regenerations.
So I did hear that!  (I don't always trust my memory.)Wink

So are we good for another fifty years of Doctor Who?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2013 at 18:14
It seems most people didn't care for it, but I liked it. I might even go so far as call it my favorite Christmas episode. That said...I do wish it was longer to accommodate all the story more fully. Shame to see Matt go as well...but so it goes in the life of the Doctor.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 19:37
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

It seems most people didn't care for it, but I liked it. I might even go so far as call it my favorite Christmas episode. That said...I do wish it was longer to accommodate all the story more fully. Shame to see Matt go as well...but so it goes in the life of the Doctor.

I liked it as well too. A bit jarring to see Matt Smith suddenly become a very angry-seeming Peter Capaldi with his most intimidating glare. 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 04:04
My feelings on the Time of The Dr finale is that it did well to wrap up many unanswered questions and really wrapped up Smith's era well to pave the way for the grand entrance of Peter Capaldi. He looks rather resplendent in his new costume too..

Not sure how he will go in his first season but so glad Coleman remains as she is perhaps the most enigmatic companion since Zoe.

I grew to like the Smith era of Who after a shaky start to his seasons. He was magnificent in the last 3 eps of his final season, and I love how he appeared in Adventures in Space and Time

I have been watching lots of Who lately, saw Planet of Giants today, and yesterday watched day of Dr, Time of Dr and Hide in one sitting.

My kids are now into and its my fault. hahaa

We are all Whovians in this house
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 05:25
New Doctor Thumbs Up
Bigger on the inside.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 12:54
Aye, Capaldiwho gets the thumbs-up for me too Thumbs Up

Not a bad début episode if a little too long for the story-line (ie it dragged at times). Bet Tenant is pissed that Capaldiwho gets to keep his Scottish accent while Tenantwho had to fake an English one.Wink

Not sure what to make of Mary Poppins Missy:

But I adore Michelle Gomez (Green Wing) so I'm not going to think too hard about who or what she's supposed to be.
What?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 21:28
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Aye, Capaldiwho gets the thumbs-up for me too Thumbs Up

Not a bad début episode if a little too long for the story-line (ie it dragged at times). Bet Tenant is pissed that Capaldiwho gets to keep his Scottish accent while Tenantwho had to fake an English one.Wink

Not sure what to make of Mary Poppins Missy:

But I adore Michelle Gomez (Green Wing) so I'm not going to think too hard about who or what she's supposed to be.

They could have made that about 15 minutes shorter and not really have lost anything.  But Capaldi gets a Thumbs Up from me as well. 

Did anyone else though get that feeling that at the end that whole thing with Clara accepting the Doctor being all old and gray and stuff, was aimed at the teenage girl fans who had a crush on first Tennant and then Smith?  It was almost like they were talking directly to them "please give the old guy a chance, no he won't be like your pretend boyfriend, but it will still be a good show".  It was cool to see Matt in a cameo, but c'mon, that seemed a little too much.  It would have been better if they had done so that it was more along the lines of "The Doctor's been older before, he'll be older again.  If you don't like it p*** off." 

Edited by The Doctor - August 24 2014 at 22:31
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 04:19
Yeah, the whole episode had that "let's see who's a Doc Who fan and who's a Tennant/Smith fan" vibe going one. I was okay with it, but then again, my favourite Doctor is Hartnell, so the message wasn't really aimed at the likes of me. LOL
Bigger on the inside.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 15:00
I actually liked the pacing of the episode, and not really sure what to cut to trim it down 10ish mins. Needless to say I enjoyed it, and while I can't give a full rec for PC after only one episode he seems like he'll fit in nice once he has a chance to develop into his own doctor. I'm glad hes a bit different from Tennent/Smith at any rate.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 15:26
I would have cut out most of the ending for one. That was unnecessary I thought. I also thought the beginning dragged on a bit. I was getting a bit impatient to see the new Doctor in action. Of course, I felt that same way with the first Tennant episode too.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 16:21
Oooh, Who thread!

I'm reserving judgement on Capaldi, the 'intro' episode is always a 'hey, let's all get used to the new Doctor' festival.  I get your point (The Doctor) about the episode being written for a specific group, I certainly got the impression that they were selling the new Doctor but hadn't considered who they were selling him to.  Yeah, I think you're spot on with the target audience.

I'm very curious to see where the whole Missy thing goes.  I've heard a lot of options but I'm going with some version of River (I could be romanticisizing the teaser).  She refers to the Doctor as her boyfriend, River was downloaded into the library and the cyborg could have also been downloaded into something (circumventing the murder versus suicide question at the end).  Finally, last year, Matt Smith was asking producers to keep River as 'his' character and to not go any further with her.  This could have been Matt Smith randomly talking about River, but I think it was more a reaction to the producers discussing the option of reinventing the River character.

Just my two cents. . . looking forward to the next one.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 17:30
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I would have cut out most of the ending for one. That was unnecessary I thought. I also thought the beginning dragged on a bit. I was getting a bit impatient to see the new Doctor in action. Of course, I felt that same way with the first Tennant episode too.

I could see that RE: the ending...at least parts of it. However, if they were trying to sell the new doc to the younger fan base as you suggest (and I agree with) than most of it was necessary.

I also like the silliness of the beginning. And it seems like the doctor always enters one of those periods of instability when he transforms (at least with the new esries...don't know the older ones) so to continue that trend makes sense to me. (But it was rather non-connected to the story at large.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 18:45
Unnecessary from a story standpoint, but yeah, I guess from a marketing standpoint maybe it was necessary.  I just personally didn't feel the need to be sold on the new Doctor.  I've been watching the show since McCoy regenerated into McGann (actually before that in reruns, but that was my first contemporaneous regen).  I'm used to accepting new Doctors. 

Period of instability - when Davison regenerated into Colin Baker, the 6th Doctor attempted to kill his companion and then decided to live a hermit's life.  So yeah, that period of instability goes back a long way.

Roland, that was my thought too as far as Missy.  I think she could very well be some version of River.  The "boyfriend" line was what made me think of that too. 

Edited by The Doctor - August 26 2014 at 18:49
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 21:41
Today's Halloween costume.  My wife is the Dalek and my daughter is the Doctor.  I'm the Tardis.

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 02:26
ClapClapClap Brilliant!
What?
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member