Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChris Squire explains Yes vocalist issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 18:37
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Rumour has it that Squire has sacked Steve Hackett from "Squackett", and is looking to replace him in a winner chosen from a talent show format.

Clap  Nicely done!  

Somehow, I don't think Christopher would be at all amused with the taunts aimed at him!  All of this might imperil the entry of Yes into the Hall of Fame someday....I'd have a hard time picturing Yes performing with a stage-full of impersonators and game-show winners!!  

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 19:10
How about American Idol, the Yes edition/ Shocked
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 21:27
LOLLOLLOLLOL So funny.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 15:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

How about American Idol, the Yes edition/ Shocked

Cold day in Hell!

I would prefer that they brought in a Bob Dylan, a Peter Hammill, a Roy Harper, a Tom Waits, a Lou Reed ... folks that we know have changed music in their time and have a very distinctive style of using words ... but I doubt that those places are capable of doing this ... but a Peter Hammill night would define winners and losers in 30 seconds!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 23:42
Latest squawks from Squire about Benoit David and Jon Davison, courtesy of "Rolling Stone":

Last year, Yes released Fly From Here with David on lead vocals and hit the road on a co-headlining tour with Styx to promote it. 

"At that point, he started to get a little wobbly onstage," says Squire. "I thought he was having a cold or had gotten sick on the road. That happens all the time, but in Benoît's case it seemed to not be getting better. We toured Europe after that, and once again he started to go a little soft."

....Henceforth, we sacked his arse!  

Jeez, Christopher, you really live up to your reputation in that YouTube clip!  

He also talks about Steve Hackett & the Squackett project, Yes on Broadway (I'm not kidding), and other stuff.   A good read!  

Glass Hammer tells me that Jon Davison is in the studio recording vocals for their new CD, so we have a lot of new music to watch for!  Cheers! 

Edited by cstack3 - May 25 2012 at 23:59
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 00:43
That was pretty hilarious. The weird speak n spell voices always weird me out though.
There be dragons
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 01:30
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

"I don't care about children." LOLLOL
Yeah, that one sounds pretty brutal. I doubt that this is classic Chris ... even in the least bit. 

Seeing as how Yes is pretty much the Chris Squire band, ... 
Never saw it that way. Good thing I never called myself a Yes fan 'cause I didn't know anything about that. 

But seriously Big smile : "Karma? F#$k Karma. We have to get back on the road. I have bills to pay and pieholes to feed." Pieholes. I love that word LOL .
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 03:05
Both videos are absolutely hilarious! LOL
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 06:32
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Latest squawks from Squire about Benoit David and Jon Davison, courtesy of "Rolling Stone":

Last year, Yes released Fly From Here with David on lead vocals and hit the road on a co-headlining tour with Styx to promote it. 

"At that point, he started to get a little wobbly onstage," says Squire. "I thought he was having a cold or had gotten sick on the road. That happens all the time, but in Benoît's case it seemed to not be getting better. We toured Europe after that, and once again he started to go a little soft."

Not really fair to give have the statement.  Here's the rest:

But it was more than that. He just seemed to not want to carry on doing the job. I assumed that after the Christmas break he'd feel differently, but he didn't.

This implies more than just "You aren't doing so hot; please leave now."  However, of course, I'd like to hear David's (south) side of the story.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 08:07
"They call me 'The Fish', you don't want to rub me the wrong way....you know....because of the scales and all"
LOL

Is there anything he's done outside of Yes other than Fish Out Of Water?  If there is I don't know or it was a cameo or something.

That was so made for by a Yes nerd for Yes nerds. LOL

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 14:43
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Not really fair to give have the statement.  Here's the rest:

But it was more than that. He just seemed to not want to carry on doing the job. I assumed that after the Christmas break he'd feel differently, but he didn't.

This implies more than just "You aren't doing so hot; please leave now."  However, of course, I'd like to hear David's (south) side of the story.

Thanks for that!  I agree, I'd also like to hear David's side of the story.  

There is a ton of difference between a trib band singer with a day job (B. David) and a full-time pro who has learned how to train the voice & manage the stress of singing across a broad range (J. Anderson).  I just don't think B. David had the pipes to do this night-after-night.

I always felt that Yes should have sat down and figured this out with a blank sheet of paper....when they replaced Wakeman with Moraz, they went in a totally new musical direction and it worked, although Moraz's treatment of Wakeman's parts were not as good as the originals as I recall.  

If not a trib singer, then who?  I thought a talented younger woman vocalist, sort of a young Annie Haslam, would have opened new doors for Yes and brought in new fans.   I think it would have been exciting.  Of course, Squire would have had to keep his horny hands to himself...!! 

Considering all the fanfare they gave B. David, the new material etc., it seems a bit cold to just dump him like they did.  I really am tempted to blame the personalities involved vs. the illness.  I've met these guys backstage, they are an odd bunch, not exactly dripping with love and emotion.  

We'll see, Jon Davison is back with Glass Hammer, so he escaped the Yes vocalist trap!  

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 20:16
so is davidson out now or is he doing the summer tour?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 00:57
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

so is davidson out now or is he doing the summer tour?

I'm sure he's touring with Yes, and also doing Glass Hammer vocals during tour downtime. 

I really can't think of another prog vocalist pulling double duty like that!!  Any other examples?  

Here's Yes' summer tour schedule FYI:

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 01:22
They are a washed up bunch cashing in on their huge fanbase to keep playing live.  I could care more about this if they were prepared to break out of the old sound and use the new vocalist as an opportunity to explore a different direction.  They are only a tribute band of themselves at the moment.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 06:05
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

They are a washed up bunch cashing in on their huge fanbase to keep playing live.  I could care more about this if they were prepared to break out of the old sound and use the new vocalist as an opportunity to explore a different direction.  They are only a tribute band of themselves at the moment.

That's to keep their huge fanbase that they don't change their sound, and they didn't make a lot of new material in the past 10 years. They have the opportunity to have one of the largest fanbase of the prog community, so why break a recipe that works since the 70's. But, I am not sure that they keep touring just for the money, I am sure they all got a lot of money. Maybe there is still a passion for the music or travelling around the world!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 12:22
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

That's to keep their huge fanbase that they don't change their sound, and they didn't make a lot of new material in the past 10 years. They have the opportunity to have one of the largest fanbase of the prog community, so why break a recipe that works since the 70's. But, I am not sure that they keep touring just for the money, I am sure they all got a lot of money. Maybe there is still a passion for the music or travelling around the world!

I guess I just resent that this is all a once great band like Yes are doing.  Just touring and playing their songs.  And it seems that their shows are not the most spectacular either these days.  Can these amazing musicians really be so spent now that they lack the motivation to put together more albums?  Hard to digest for me. 
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 12:37

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I guess I just resent that this is all a once great band like Yes are doing.  Just touring and playing their songs.  And it seems that their shows are not the most spectacular either these days.  Can these amazing musicians really be so spent now that they lack the motivation to put together more albums?  Hard to digest for me. 

Yes, i would like to see them take a risk and do a prog cd with a more modern sound, maybe heavier and darker instead of doing the same symphonic cd that they usually did. And i completely  with you when you say that their shows are not very spectacular, but i assume that they still doing shows to reach some young people who have never see the band live.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 15:49
So maybe the lads in Yes should take a hint from Mr. Gilmour?

DG: I can see how important this Pink Floyd business gets for other people. But it just isn't for me. I had some of the best times of my life and we created some wonderful music, but to do it again, it would be fakery. It would be trying to be something that we are not. At my age, I am entirely selfish and want to please myself. I shan't do another Pink Floyd tour.

2009 interview

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 16:37
there's something to be said for these bands that quite while they were ahead.  however, if i'm in the right mood there's nothing like a classic rock show with those geezers!  styx, journey, yes...it's all good fun.  i never pay top dollar though.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 21:03

Thank you, all!  That was posted to the Glass Hammer page on Facebook by some fan!  I thought we at PA would get a kick out of it!!  

I agree with Brother Slartibartfast that Squire should give Yes a breather.  In fact, I wondered why he didn't try this much earlier, when the others in Yes were doing other side-projects such as Asia.

He did attempt this with Billy Sherwood and "Conspiracy," but I thought that was somewhat inconsistent, musically speaking.  Squire MIGHT be one of the types who is amazing in his role, but incapable of stepping much outside of it.

I just don't think I care as much as I used to....  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12