Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Quick question regarding a couple of Gong albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuick question regarding a couple of Gong albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick question regarding a couple of Gong albums
    Posted: February 28 2012 at 10:31
I'm looking at picking up Gong's Camembert Electrique and Flying Teapot, both on CD.  Does anyone know any details regarding the various releases over the years?  Basically, which versions have superior sound quality, packaging, etc.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 13:11
Hi,

Flying Teapot is a Trilogy that goes 3 albums, of which "You" is the 3rd one. Camembert is before the trilogy and very different and if I remember correctly a couple of those cuts were soundtracks to a couple of different things.

Gong is an entity on its own through and through ... and for my tastes I would say just get all three in the trilogy and listen to it in order ... and enjoy it.  When you listen to Camembert and then grab the Trilogy ... it doesn't make sense and I'm not sure that you can "deduce" that history that this band became. But listening to it after the trilogy, you can see the glissando taking form and being used to make sure that Jimmy Page was not the only person that used a stick across the strings! 

This is my preference ... but I like to tell people that Gong is an acquired taste, because some folks don't like zen laced stuff that has a knack of sticking to your head in its cleverness!

Edited by moshkito - March 07 2012 at 13:12
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 13:32
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

I'm looking at picking up Gong's Camembert Electrique and Flying Teapot, both on CD.  Does anyone know any details regarding the various releases over the years?  Basically, which versions have superior sound quality, packaging, etc.
There have been many re-issues over the years. Best bet is to go to the Gong website and have a nose around: http://www.planetgong.co.uk/ ... and check out the Gong Discography. I recommend buying direct from the Gong website than using Amazon if only to ensure Gong gets to earn some cash from the sale. 

There were certainly a remastered Japanese mini-LP gate-fold sleeve versions available that had excellent packaging, and versions of those released on Snapper that weren't quite as good, but more affordable, and others in jewel-cases that were adequate, but unfortunately most variants are "unavailable". So really what you are "stuck" with is what is currently available rather than being able ot pick and chose different remastering and reissues.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 13:36
I am now utterly convinced that Moshtiko doesn't read a post properly before he writes his random answer.LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 13:38
We all do that from time to time Shocked
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 13:40
Embarrassed
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 13:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

There have been many re-issues over the years. Best bet is to go to the Gong website and have a nose around: http://www.planetgong.co.uk/ ... and check out the Gong Discography. I recommend buying direct from the Gong website than using Amazon if only to ensure Gong gets to earn some cash from the sale. 

There were certainly a remastered Japanese mini-LP gate-fold sleeve versions available that had excellent packaging, and versions of those released on Snapper that weren't quite as good, but more affordable, and others in jewel-cases that were adequate, but unfortunately most variants are "unavailable". So really what you are "stuck" with is what is currently available rather than being able ot pick and chose different remastering and reissues.

What he said.

Oh and I have the Japanese mini-LP versions and the sound is crisp and vibrant. I strongly recommend you go for thoseThumbs Up
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 11:28
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I am now utterly convinced that Moshtiko doesn't read a post properly before he writes his random answer.LOL

Yeah ... not intentionally ... you just made me read it again! And no more or less random than your replies!!! LOL (... which I like, btw ... )

All in all, I still like the originals, even on CD ... and yeah, the Gong website is best for it all, including the inevitable re-masters -- if they are around.  But the comments still are valid. I think the "impression" that the album made THEN is what makes it. The album NOW (obviously) is not as valid, or important, and I have a feeling that our ability to think these better or more important would be impaired quite a bit. It is wonderful material either way we look at it, and I tend to overlook that recording information and the supposed this and that. For me, the "experience" can not be changed with some new EQ and other trix! Thus, for me, I have yet to find a re-master that is worth its money!

Edited by moshkito - March 12 2012 at 10:49
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:31
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply