Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCentric Jones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Centric Jones
    Posted: February 28 2012 at 12:18
Listen this band at  http://www.progstreaming.com/2012/02/27/centric-jones-the-anitkythera-method/  and tell me what you think. For me is very good. Thank you  
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 14:22
This is an amazingly good album which absolutely deserves to get its creators into the archives. For full details see this post by glassonyonpr in 'News from Official Prog Suppliers' forum on Feb 2nd: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84696.

Chris Fournier (fonya) anounced their debut , 'Foreign Tea', here in 'Unsigned Bands' forum in March 2009: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56172, but there were no replies to the announcement.  Violin

I'm not going to attempt to guess which sub genre - there are loads of influences and styles in this... Ermm

Edited by yam yam - February 28 2012 at 14:43
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 18:44
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I'm not going to attempt to guess which sub genre - there are loads of influences and styles in this... Ermm

That, my friend, is where Eclectic prog is your friend. Wink

Checking this now.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 19:12
Hmmm.. indeed quite a bit going on here. But I actually don't think Eclectic would be right for these guys. The whole synth thing screams Ozric Tentacles, and much of the atmosphere is quite spacey, so I think this would be best for Psych, although there are many other elements going on as well.

Scratch that, they've been voted to move by Psych. I'll bump the suggestion then.

Edited by Andy Webb - February 28 2012 at 19:14
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 15:56
done ... 

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 12:34
I'm glad all over that they havce been approved Smile 

But come on...psych/space?! Confused

Someone explain why this category .

This is modern symphonic prog.

They are clearly not space rock and IMO not psych. If this is PA policy please redefine PA's definition of psych/space rock. (admittedly, I have always been opposed to PA on this particular subject...IMO psych is not a prog genre...space rock isWink)

Peace and Love Hug
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 05:44
^earlyprog ... if you read the genre definition with care you'll notice that we are trying to define a dividing line between psych/space and progressive psych/space ... I'd say very distinctive for a progressive rock website .. and not an easy task at all ...

I wouldn't deny that Centric Jones' music has a symphonic touch too, and it's just that, an example where most of the things are not obviously black or white, yes or no, so much the more something in between.

Are you sure the Symphonic Team will accept Centric Jones? We are often faced with the decision to fiind the most appropriate subgenre, and of course there will exist deviating views and appraisals in such cases.

Bands blend different styles, have varied approaches - this defines their unique style - however makes it often difficult to assign them. I personally prefer to be generous with additions, the alternative would be much more ping pong between teams with the result of a vast number of pending evaluations.

There are bands which are way more a no-brainer than Centric Jones, however the keyboard/synths and guitars are predominantly spacey, the ethereal vocals as well as the cover art are genre typical, not symphonic.

Finally, of course you have the possibility to write a prolific review and to clarify things from your point of view.

Post Reply Post Reply