Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKansas Tablatures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas Tablatures
    Posted: February 28 2012 at 17:55
Hi everybody

I'm wondering if I'm in the good section so correct me if I'm wrong ! ;)

I'm searching accurate Kansas tablatures, especially bass parts, for songs like Magnus Opus, Song for America (their proggiest one  in fact). Because there are some parts I can't figure by ear.

And as I post this thread I'm wondering if there is any Tabs thread on this forum, every musician could share their tablatures with others that would be nice. I searched but I didn't found anything..

Thanks 

Edited by PabstRibbon - February 28 2012 at 17:59
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 18:38
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 18:09
I've been personally discouraged with tabs written by those who claim to be professionals yet have it wrong. But good luck in your search. Also if there are vids on youtube of decent players giving a lesson on the Kansas pieces, it would be worth checking it out. You might have to plough through vids of un-professionals until you find a seasoned musician giving bass lessons on how to play the tune, but believe me it is worth it. You can also zoom through a bunch of Kansas live vids and you never know...there might be a camera spot on the bassist playing a specific part that you feel has been interpreted and played dead wrong even by the professional sounding  instructors. You can play along with these vids, develop your ear, etc.

This happened to me long ago....I was learning Emerson's Tarkus on electric guitar and adding in the accents of his left hand. I was having a problem with a particular section, but knew if I could see him play it live..it would make more sense to me. And it works...so try it with the vids. good luck.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 19:38

I have the Hal Leonard book - bought it for one of my kids who plays guitar.  He seemed to like it although as I recall there are only about a dozen songs in it.  This was an 'officially endorsed' book by the band so I assume the notations are all correct.

As an aside if anyone has any idea where I could find some sheet music for violin parts of Kansas music I'd really love to lay my hands on that (except "Dust in the Wind" which is readily available and which I already have several copies of).  Most notably I'd love to get ahold of the violin parts for "Nobody's Home", "Cheyenne Anthem" and "Reason to Be".

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
 Post Reply Post Reply