Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWarnings Warnings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warnings Warnings
    Posted: February 29 2012 at 10:41
I keep getting these messages that I am spamming or that I've had more than 3 failed logins. How can I have a failed login when I only press the two same keys to get online? I actually thought that I was booted off the site for throwing my mouth off in some "politically " incorrect manner and stayed off for almost 8 months. It turned out to be an error. Why all these warnings. Is world paranoia present on a music site now ? Don't get it man.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 11:07
Will Robinson?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 11:14
I don't know Ian. Could you be more specific? i.e. as I cannot look over your shoulder could you please be very precise in describing what is happening and the messages you are getting.

The warning messages happen for a reason.

What that reason is depends on what you were doing.

For example the spamming message happens when you post the same post here twice. This could deliberate - you could be a spammer sending "Buy my cheap knock-off watches" messages to several threads one after the other. HOWEVER, more likely is that for some reason, the one message gets posted twice in the same thread by accident. This "accident" is not something that the PA forum or M@Xs servers are responsible for - the cause of that "accident" is invariably with the user or the user's computer.

If that is hard to beleive then all other users here will be having the same problems - and as far as I can tell, we are not.

It could be an inadvertent re-send of the post due to a time-out, or it could be an erroneous second click of the [Post Reply] button by the user because when the post didn't magically appear instantaneously due to his slow internet connection or whatever, he assumed it failed to be sent so clicked it again.

But I don't know unless you tell me what you were doing and what went wrong.

What?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:16
Well the spamming thing happened this morning a message in red print popped up saying that spamming was not allowed. Then I checked the thread where I had made the post and it had gone through anyway. The second occured last June. I was on the site in the morning and when I came back from lunch and tried to log in I got a message that I had made 3 failed log in attempts. I just figured that I was being kicked off the site for something I might have beaked off about that didn't sit too well with some of the conservatives on the site. It really sucked because I had an interview prepared for ex-Hawkwind  member Nik Turner through Toddo. I tried from time-to-time to try to log on to the site then just yesterday I set up a bogus account so I could get in touch with Bob ( Easy Livin ) to get some answersbecause I was getting emails from people wondering where I was. I kept telling them that I got sacked from the site but they ( PA ) wouldn't tell me why. Next time it happens I'll copy down the details and send them to you or another admin.
I know I have a big mouth sometimes ( not only on progarchives ! )and kept wondering what I could have said..
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:33
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well the spamming thing happened this morning a message in red print popped up saying that spamming was not allowed. Then I checked the thread where I had made the post and it had gone through anyway.  

Ok this first bit is a classic example of clicking twice to submit.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 14:30
Noted.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 16:22

Well the spamming thing happened this morning a message in red print popped up saying that spamming was not allowed. Then I checked the thread where I had made the post and it had gone through anyway.
Sort of thing that happens once in a blue moon with computers, it could be something innocuous like a key-bounce on the mouse, but it's always generated from the user-side somehow or other.

The second occured last June. I was on the site in the morning and when I came back from lunch and tried to log in I got a message that I had made 3 failed log in attempts.
Once again, the message does not lie - if it says you made 3 failed login attempts then that's what happened - you won't get that message if you had been banned... why would you - it's illogical.

If this happens again (to anyone reading this) - then contact the site (using the contact info on the About Progarchives.com page) telling us you've locked yourself out and we'll reset your password.

I just figured that I was being kicked off the site for something I might have beaked off about that didn't sit too well with some of the conservatives on the site. It really sucked because I had an interview prepared for ex-Hawkwind  member Nik Turner through Toddo.
If you've still got the interview and would like to post it here then feel free, (I know I'd love to read what Nik has to say). Unfortunately Torodd no longer collaborates on the site, but I, or any one of the other Admin's, SC or collabs, can help you post it if you wish.

I tried from time-to-time to try to log on to the site then just yesterday I set up a bogus account so I could get in touch with Bob ( Easy Livin ) to get some answersbecause I was getting emails from people wondering where I was. I kept telling them that I got sacked from the site but they ( PA ) wouldn't tell me why. Next time it happens I'll copy down the details and send them to you or another admin.
okay - so you had this resolved by Bob before you made this thread Confused 

I know I have a big mouth sometimes ( not only on progarchives ! )and kept wondering what I could have said..
I don't know how many times we can keep saying this - we really don't ban people without damn good provocation and you have to do something pretty bloody offensive for that to happen. If you did nothing then you weren't banned - it really is that simple.
What?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 16:26
The spamming message shows up if you type at more than 10 words per minute, basically.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 16:27
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

The spamming message shows up if you type at more than 10 words per minute, basically.
No it doesn't.
What?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 16:29
It has nothing to do with the same message being posted twice, it's just if you post more than one message - even in different threads - within too short of a time frame.

When I'm on here I open up all the threads I want to read in different tabs, then go through them replying if I need to, and i get that message several times a day.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 16:34

It has nothing to do with the same message being posted twice, it's just if you post more than one message - even in different threads - within too short of a time frame.

When I'm on here I open up all the threads I want to read in different tabs, then go through them replying if I need to, and i get that message several times a day.

They are both the same thing. The double clicking on the submit duplicates your problem.

Edited by Snow Dog - February 29 2012 at 16:41
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 16:38

And? That's not exactly typing "at more than 10 words per minute" though is it? That's making multiple posts anywhere in the forum in quick succession (and with no one else making a post inbetween) - which is an example of how spammers spam the forum, just as my example was. If you know Ian you'll know he won't be posting multiple posts in multiple threads in a short time frame.

This is a "help Ian thread" - not a "bitch about the anti-spam algorithm" thread.
What?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 20:27
A double click is an easy error to make

I do it occasionally

It does not mean anything more than the spamming message appears. Wait a few minutes and you can post again.
 Post Reply Post Reply