Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedICS Vortex - heavy prog, neo prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ICS Vortex - heavy prog, neo prog
    Posted: February 29 2012 at 12:02
ICS Vortex is the x-bass player of the band Dimmu Borgir out with a debute album under his artist name, and it is labeld progressive rock in Wikipedia so it has to be prog right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Seeker

the album is called Storm Seeker, it is in vain of some neo progressive rock, like Arena i think, and Marillion so heavy neo progressive is more close to were this should be, but im not hesitent that it is a breed of progressive, also his singing voice is as clean and wonderfull as ever

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 12:33
Well, it's tagged as Melodic Black Metal on a fair few sites, which I'm having trouble understanding...but neither is it anything remotely approaching Neo Prog. I reckon Heavy Prog is probably where this should go...if the Prog Metal Team don't want it of course...
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 09:31
Great find Chris! I'm not a fan of the singing, but I like the instrumental side a lot. TBH this is how I was expecting Storm Corrosion to sound; and coincidentally, this album is named "Storm Seeker".

I'll notify the Heavy Prog team.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 16:00
Rejected for heavy prog. Agi, do you want to try with crossover? I'd be willing to throw it their way.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 17:20
I think crossover would work imo. And I mucho enjoy this.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 16:52
I'll throw it to the team then.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2012 at 05:45
Houston...We have a problem...!!  Ermm

ICS Vortex

DateUserChartAction
2MChris StaceyCrossover (Chris Stacey)
2MEvolverCrossover (Evolver)
2MWindhawkCrossover-> New
2MaapatsosMetal-> Rejected
2MNecronCommanderMetal (NecronCommander)
2MaapatsosMetal (aapatsos)
2MRune2000Metal (Rune2000)
2Mandyman1125Metal (andyman1125)
2Mandyman1125Metal-> New
3MChris StaceyCrossover-> Move
3MChris StaceyCrossover (Chris Stacey)
3MWarthurCrossover (Warthur)
3MEvolverCrossover (Evolver)
3MEvolverCrossover-> New
4Mandyman1125Heavy-> Rejected
4Mandyman1125Heavy (andyman1125)
4MIncaProgHeavy (IncaProg)
4MbonnekHeavy (bonnek)
7MNightflyHeavy-> New
Rejected by the only two subs where it might reasonably fit (it never really stood much of a chance in Crossover tbf), but definitely progressive rock, I feel...so where do we go now?

I can't see the Eclectic boys accepting this either (there are certainly variations in style across the 11 tracks which make up this album, but it is surely not what you'd class as 'Eclectic prog') - and that to me is the only other remotely possible place left if both Heavy and Prog Metal are adamant that they don't want it.

This from the band's own website: http://www.icsvortex.com/, whilst obviously having a positive bias to some extent, quite accurately sums up the album for me:

"ICS Vortex’s debut album “Storm Seeker” is a havoc of groovy metal attitude mixed with 70’s prog, stoner rock and his signature clean vocals. Catchy, riff based, and free of album fillers, ICS Vortex anchors the 45 minutes trip into the storm on the solid foundation of the ICS Vortex trademarks. The dark waters of ICS Vortex take you from the abyss to the raging waves and maroons you smiling somewhere in space. “Storm Seeker” is no concept album, but the songs are linked by an “All in!” attitude, mixed with love and respect for the storms in man. The opening track “The Blackmobile” combines the drive of raw Black Metal riffing with the total absence of grim vocals. When the vocal harmonies hit, you will nevertheless praise the beast… Not the evil-medieval one, but the horned ram on the panzer of a dodge! The ICS Vortex wave pioneers on, song by song, adding references and styles as the horizon expands. From Shakespearian death to gambling and from cravings to downfall, “Storm Seeker” is a gallows-humored epic tribute to the shabby demons of mankind. Commanding tracks like “Skoal!”, “Dogsmacked”, “Oil in Water” or “Odin’s Tree” are a stylistic brew of tasty pagan ingredients in a dirty metal pot. A wide array of delicious variety and well-balanced spicing intensity, fried in very best classic Norwegian style to a truly unique flavor experience for the accomplished consumer."

Whilst not all of them are entirely 'glowing' reviews, plenty of positive words can be found amidst these pages too:

I think it's got its fair share of prog influences, and that it belongs on the site -  but the fact that not a single 'yes' vote has been cast in any of the subs tried is definitely a bit of a worry... Shocked...Thoughts anyone? Ermm

Edited by yam yam - September 15 2012 at 05:46
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2012 at 06:10
Such is the case for a few unlucky acts here on PAOuch The fact of the matter is that we can't 'will' anyone to say yes - even if we sense a certain amount of progginess in the music. The teams have to have the final word.
Personally though, I feel much like you David, I don't think this act would fit in anywhere else than the genres it has been rejected from, so the only real chance would be prog related. That or a new album showcasing the definitive metal trademarks or something to that effect.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2012 at 09:27
Unless someone is willing to go the PR route, this is the end of the road for these guys, I'm afraid.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2012 at 10:16
Violin
 Post Reply Post Reply