Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mammoth Volume for heavy prog or exp/post metal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMammoth Volume for heavy prog or exp/post metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mammoth Volume for heavy prog or exp/post metal
    Posted: February 29 2012 at 14:48
Mammoth Volume is a Swedish stoner/heavy metal act from Vestra Götaland län, they sight varied influenced from Deep Purlpe, AC/DC, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, MIke Oldfield, Rainbow, Yes and Mahavishnu Orchestra (acroding to allmusic guide), but their sound i more close to the desart rock sound of Kyuss, and therefore solidly fitted into the doom metal realm or stoner meta

http://open.spotify.com/artist/6KazgLPtdrHEYaV8Das5vk

just check the list of bands sited as infleunce they are all in PA http://www.allmusic.com/artist/mammoth-volume-p374107 exept ac/dc Embarrassed

this band need carefull listening they are more complex then when you look on the surface

http://www.last.fm/music/Mammoth+Volume

Edited by aginor - February 29 2012 at 14:51
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 15:22
Ermm I don't hear any of those influences.....

Nevertheless, great music. Those Swedes know their 70's hard rock.

At best, boundary heavy prog, especially the last sample.

Edited by earlyprog - February 29 2012 at 15:24
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 15:28
the albums are incredibly eclectic, all from jazz to raga, to folk to unisons from mathy passages, the albums needs to be listen to in whole to get a picture of how to evaluate the bands full progressive sound, 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 15:31
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 15:37
Early Prog, you will defenitly hear that the last album from 2001 are what i would call progressive rock album, the first one not quite but the second album oh yes, and the third OH YESS
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 16:16
I agree that they are definitely worth evaluating based on the third album, 'A Single Book Of Songs'. To my ears 'What Happened in Antioch' is a fine prog song indeed. There's other proggy stuff on this album too - it may sound superficially like Black Sabbath (Prog-Related), but I think this material is sufficently more developed to merit inclusion in one of the 'proper' sub genes (Heavy Prog, I guess).
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 09:19
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I agree that they are definitely worth evaluating based on the third album, 'A Single Book Of Songs'. To my ears 'What Happened in Antioch' is a fine prog song indeed. There's other proggy stuff on this album too - it may sound superficially like Black Sabbath (Prog-Related), but I think this material is sufficently more developed to merit inclusion in one of the 'proper' sub genes (Heavy Prog, I guess).
the album/EP Noara Dance is also a nice one, heavy progy,

for some reason some of the songs sounds familiar like i have heard one or two for a LOONG time ago
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 09:43
Sounds like hard rock with the odd proggy moment to me. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 01:05

if I would compare this band to other Scandinavian bands of similar sounds I would say Dungen and Motorpsycho, alternative rock background but the songs have progressive approach and tendencies of older bands, but have incorporated a new twist to new or modern progressive rock, i would add this band cause they are to my something i have not quite heard any who sounds like them and that is interesting, to have a distinct sound or experimentation is rare in today’s hard rock /metal world, i think this band pull this off, i think they should be evaluated in post/experimental metal sub, but also with eclectic rock ears and heavy rock ears, yes they have songs that are doomish so then exp metal is closest, but remember that this is that times music, and this band is progressively moving the boundaries for a doom metal band, but also as a hard rock band, in more ways than just adding a keyboard, organ and mellotron, they have twists in the riffs, in the grooves and sections which is not close to doom metal, some math-rock elements suddenly, folk rock, jazz, prog unisons, even some counterpoint,, even Gentle Giant albums have straight blues rock songs with prog twists, and folk ballads with no twist, but it ads to their eclecticism and that is why Giant is eclectic cause they have all music in one album some are twisted prog experimentation, but also songs that are close to the traditional form of genres, I don't say Mammoth is there or quite as daring (few bands are, will be or is), but they still have that distinctiveness that makes them not a pure blues/doom rock/metal band, i think they should be viewed in the same light as exp metal bands that came in the same time as them, Isis, Pelican, Cult of Luna, Mastodon, are they less or more progressive then Isis or Mastodon between 99 and 01, do the albums progress more from album 1 to album/EP 2, towards album 3, is the band’s sound and progressive rock leaning larger or lesser then those bands mentioned above, i think this band needs to be looked into, as a whole rather than songs, sorry to sound wordy and stuff i just tries to make a case Tongue I have used all my academic knowledge in this reasoning so,,, 

Edited by aginor - March 03 2012 at 01:14
 Post Reply Post Reply