Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes touring in Australia, NZ, Japan April 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes touring in Australia, NZ, Japan April 2012
    Posted: February 29 2012 at 19:58
I spent all morning arranging to buy tickets for this. Never seen Yes live so this is my chance:

If any PA members want to meet me there please let me know!

tickets $99 or $149 Melbourne or Sydney

http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/Yes-tickets/artist/736506?tm_link=edp_Artist_Name 

Details:

Short Biography
PROG-ROCK HEROES, YES
RETURN TO AUSTRALIA IN APRIL 2012

Returning for the first time since 2005, Grammy Award winning prog-rock group, YES, will be making their highly anticipated return to Australian shores in April 2012 for a few very special theatre shows and a performance at the infamous Byron Bay Bluesfest.

The tour kicks off in Byron Bay when they take the stage at Bluesfest on Monday 9th April, before heading down to Melbourne for a show at the Palais Theatre on Wednesday 11th April and then winding up in Sydney on Friday 13th April at the State Theatre

Yes Tickets and Concert Dates

View:  Calendar View

Victoria/Tasmania (1)

APR  
WED
Palais TheatreSt.Kilda, VIC
08:00 PM
Yes
Find Tickets »

Australia (1)

APR  
FRI
State Theatre, SydneySydney, NSW
08:00 PM
Yes
Find Tickets »
Results 1-2 of 2

More Info AboutYes

Yes

Palais Theatre 
St.Kilda, VIC

Wed 11 Apr 2012, 08:00 PM

Tickets purchased

Your Order Is Complete

Thanks for using Ticketmaster. Your order number is................................................

QtyEvent/ItemVenue:Delivery
1Yes
Wed 11 Apr 2012, 08:00 PM
Palais Theatre
St.Kilda, VIC
Mail *
Order for: Scott Tuffnell 
Total Charge: AU $106.50     

* Mail - Ticketmaster will mail these within 2 business days of the booking. Tickets usually arrive within 5 - 7 days of posting. 

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 29 2012 at 20:23
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 20:16
Okay so I finally got tickets sorted for the show but I would love to meet up with any PA members here. Please if you are going arrange to meet me there. I will be going alone as its too expensive for wifey. 

Catch you there proggers! Should be a great show! 
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 03:02
This seems to be part of a wider tour of Aus,NZ, Japan, etc.

April 01 Auckland, NZ Vector Arena

April 05 Perth, AUS The Riverside Theatre

April 09 Byron Bay, AUS Bluesfest

April 11 Melbourne, AUS Palais Theatre

April 13 Sydney, AUS State Theatre

April 18 Tokyo, Japan Shibuya Kokaido

April 19 Tokyo, Japan Shibuya Kokaido

April 21 Osaka, Japan Archaic Hall

April 24 Jakarta, Indonesia The Ritz-Carlton, Pacific Place

Edited by Easy Livin - March 01 2012 at 03:03
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 04:30
Good for all you prog fans down under.

I know prog concerts there are not as widespread in Europe.

Enjoy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 04:39

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

This seems to be part of a wider tour of Aus,NZ, Japan, etc.

April 01 Auckland, NZ Vector Arena

April 05 Perth, AUS The Riverside Theatre

April 09 Byron Bay, AUS Bluesfest

April 11 Melbourne, AUS Palais Theatre

April 13 Sydney, AUS State Theatre

April 18 Tokyo, Japan Shibuya Kokaido

April 19 Tokyo, Japan Shibuya Kokaido

April 21 Osaka, Japan Archaic Hall

April 24 Jakarta, Indonesia The Ritz-Carlton, Pacific Place

Shocked

Oh, its bigger than I thought! Nice find. I am glad they are touring the new album.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 04:40
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Good for all you prog fans down under.

I know prog concerts there are not as widespread in Europe.

Enjoy!

Yeah thanks its great to get some prog here at last, though I know Radiohead are touring this year here as well.
TheJet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 04:50
Dang. If only I was still in Australia, Yes is one of my favourite bands. Oh well, to all those lucky Aussie fans. Have fun.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 07:12
Originally posted by TheJet TheJet wrote:

Dang. If only I was still in Australia, Yes is one of my favourite bands. Oh well, to all those lucky Aussie fans. Have fun.

Thanks for the well wishes - Wish you could be there too but they will definitely go to UK so time will tell.
rrsis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Unwanted Spam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 22:30
 I will be going alone as its too expensive for wifey.  
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 14:20
Just got my ticket for Auckland. A bit of a stretch as I have another massive concert the day before, and it's during exam week. Hopefully I won't be too tired for the 3 exams I have on the Monday.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 16:59
Hello again all,

Does anyone know who the `special guests'/support act will be for the Aussie Yes shows, assuming there will actually be one?

Be good if fellow Aussie proggers Unitopia could be it!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 10:53
This will be Jon Davison's coming-out party as the (yet another) new Yes vocalist!  Please post reviews & even video if possible.  This could be historic for a number of reasons.  

Have a wonderful time, Charles
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 04:41
Latest info on Yes in Australia just arrived by email as follows:

Thank you for purchasing tickets to “Yes” at the Palais Theatre on Wednesday 11th April 2012.

The promoter of this event, Chugg Entertainment, has advised that there will be no support act scheduled for this performance.

Yes will now perform the entire show which is scheduled to commence at 8pm, with doors to the theatre scheduled to open at 7:30pm. (Please note these times are an approximate guide and can be subject to change)

Did you know the Ticketmaster FAQ page lists answers to commonly asked questions and the latest event info? Add it to your bookmarks and stay on top of the latest news regarding your event. Click here to visit the Ticketmaster FAQ page.

Enjoy the Show,
Ticketmaster Customer Service Team

So therefore its all Yes and that suits me fine! Hope they do their classics as well as Fly From Here material.

Will review gig when I get back from the show.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 04:59
Hey Atomic!

My friend who bought the tickets just emailed me the same details!

Guess I was hoping for a support from Unitopia, or even that Ben Craven guy, if he had a touring band to play with?

Do you think Yes will now play longer because of no support act? Or just finish up earlier in the night?

Have you been looking up the New Zealand setlists from the last few days at all? They seemed to be playing quite a lot from `The Yes Album', the usual stuff from `Fragile', the title track/Live On A Film Set/Into The Storm from `Fly', and of course `Owner...', amongst other good stuff!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 07:56
I will check that set list now - Cheers!

I would say Yes will play a bit longer - I think they were scheduled to start at 8 and will play 2 halves, but I may be mistaken. I think I will fork out on a tour programme and maybe a T shirt.

See you there soon!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - April 03 2012 at 08:11
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 08:07
OK

from what I see the set list over the last few months including April 1st this year is as follows:

Setlist from Yes

1.   Yours Is No Disgrace 

2.   Tempus Fugit 

3.   I've Seen All Good People 

4.   Life on a Film Set 

5.   Solitaire 

6.   Clap 

7.   And You and I 

8.   Fly From Here - Overture 

9.   Fly From Here - Pt I - We Can Fly 

10.               Fly From Here - Pt II - Sad Night at the Airfield 

11.               Fly From Here - Pt III - Madman at the Screens 

12.               Fly From Here - Pt IV - Bumpy Ride 

13.               Fly From Here - Pt V - We Can Fly (Reprise) 

14.               Wonderous Stories 

15.               Into the Storm 

16.               Heart of the Sunrise or Machine Messiah

17.               Owner of a Lonely Heart 

18.               Starship Trooper 

19. Encore:

19.               Roundabout 

They rotate the song 19 from Machine Messiah or Heart of the Sunrise. I hope they do Machine Messiah as I love that.

As long as they do Starship Trooper, And You and I, Yours, People, Owner, Roundabout and Disgrace... we will be happy.

Cs1987 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 22:04
Yes aren't particularly popular here in Australia, so they played with no support act in a fairly small theatre in Perth last night to an audience of less than 2000. I am proud to say I was one of that audience, though I only have the ticket and a few very poor quality photos taken on my phone to prove it. I paid for a minimum priced ticket, but was lucky enough to get upgraded to a seat 8 rows from the front in the centre block since the show didn't sell out. So to anyone that has or is thinking of getting a single minimum priced ticket to one of the shows, I suggest you enter the theatre early and keep your fingers crossed for an upgrade. Smile

I didn't look for any additional information about the concert, so I had no idea what the setlist would be beforehand. I didn't even know about Benoit David's illness, subsequent departure and replacement with Jon Davison. Still, expecting Benoit David and getting someone else is much better than expecting Jon Anderson and getting someone else.

The setlist was as above (I think they played And You And I before the two Steve Howe instrumentals, but don't quote me on that), with Heart Of The Sunrise instead of Machine Messiah. So no Close To The Edge, Awaken, Siberian Khatru, Mood For A Day or any tracks off Relayer, but I suppose you have to make some sacrifices when you are going to fit all 25 minutes of the Fly From Here suite into a 2 hour (well, more like 2 1/2 hours actually) set with no intermission. My evil side would have liked to have seen them perform all of Tales From Topographic Oceans, but that didn't eventuate either. Still, I thought the choice of songs was very good, considering that it is called the "Fly From Here Tour".

Yes kicked off the night in outstanding fashion with pretty much flawless renditions of Yours Is No Disgrace, Tempus Fugit and I've Seen All Good People. Davison's inability to hit the really high notes was most obvious on And You And I, but it didn't spoil an otherwise excellent performance of what is arguably their best song (and besides, Benoit David doesn't really do it any better). Howe was in top form with his guitar instrumentals, he really doesn't seem to be getting any worse with age. I hadn't heard the Fly From Here suite before, so it is hard to judge the performance, but it was pretty impressive. If the band went a little flat at any point in the concert it was during Heart Of The Sunrise and Owner Of A Lonely Heart, though this is just being picky as they were still good renditions (Chris Squire in particular didn't appear to miss a beat, even in his most tricky bass lines, and Alan White was very good aside from some sections of the tracks from Fly From Here where the drumming is a tad boring by Yes standards). The band managed to kick it up another gear for Starship Trooper, which was concluded with Geoff Downes taking centre stage with a keytar solo, as well as the obligatory Howe guitar solo. This was probably the highlight of the night, and received a well deserved three minute standing ovation from the whole crowd as they left the stage. Of course, they returned for a typically excellent performance of Roundabout, followed by another standing ovation.

Overall, Davison is a decent replacement lead singer. I have seen a few videos of David, and Davison doesn't sound quite as much like Anderson as David does. Davison also lacks stage presence, though that is somewhat expected with replacement lead singers. Despite this, I won't go as far as saying Davison is worse than David. Some people will probably say that Yes aren't worth seeing live without Jon Anderson, but I think that is an insult to the talent of the other four members. If I have any other criticism of the concert it is the fact that the tempo of their live performances is noticeably slower than it was back in the 70s.

So, I definitely advise anyone who is lucky enough to have Yes visiting their hometown in the near future to get themselves a ticket, especially those who get to see them supported by Procol Harum. Their North American tour kicks off in August and only one date has been announced so far, so keep an ear out for upcoming announcements of tour dates.

Edited by Cs1987 - April 05 2012 at 22:15
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 03:36
It may be interesting at some level, but not much to do with the original band - how many founder members will be there  ? And/Or  members from the golden era of Yes (Wakeman, Howe)? I'd say this will be more like a tribute or covers band.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 09:08
i've given up on any classic bands creating anything mind-blowing again.  just won't happen.  it's obvious that these bands (yes, journey, etc)  all had a fertile period of a decade or so in the 70s.  after that, it's been up and down.  i went to see yes last summer and had a fun time.  i wasn't expecting transcendence.  some of it was downright slow and boring.  but it was so fun seeing yours is no disgrace live again.  i'll probably see them this summer, but only if they play a smaller venue.  i'm not sitting on the lawn again :-)
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 09:20
Originally posted by Cs1987 Cs1987 wrote:

Davison's inability to hit the really high notes was most obvious on And You And I, but it didn't spoil an otherwise excellent performance of what is arguably their best song

Hi Cs1987, Smile

Nice to meet you and thanks for posting the detailed review here!  I saw YES twice with BD a few years ago, I enjoyed it very much.  Jon Anderson is my obvious fav. singer in YES, but I do enjoy what current YES is doing.

I have one small item to nit pick with you about Jon Davison's voice.  I am not a fan boy for him(as I get older I really couldn't give a sh*t about anybody really except my immediate family.Wink) so I have no reason to support him except for a desire to stay within reality in discussions..  I have heard several comments that Jon Davison can't hit high notes.  I have his recordings with Glass Hammer, and whether one likes JD or not he does have an amazingly sharp and clear very high voice and he hits extremely high notes almost too much of the time!

I saw the And You And I audience video that Chicago Chuck Wagon posted, and it was clear that JD nailed the high part in And You And I that JA has not even sung in ten years!.  Yeah JA, doing that song has picked an interval several steps lower in that same part of the piece. Jon Davison actually sings it as on the CTTE record.

So I am ranting here about why people seem to make sh*t up about singers in this forum,  I don't wanna come off as some vocal coach, but people here are not even being close to reality when they describe singers here.  It seems that
if a person doesn't like the timbre of someone's voice or how they move on stage they go to criticise the actually singing, which is kinda silly. Confused

Anyway, I am very glad you saw my favorite band in the world.  Australia is very far away for any band to tour so it would be a rare treat indeed!   Cheers to you!

Tongue

DM

Edited by dennismoore - April 06 2012 at 14:18
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>