Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 294>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Freedom" thread or something
    Posted: March 03 2012 at 11:48
Admin please close #2. Also, Slarti (not a Libertarian) opened a poll in the poll lounge which is obviously not a real libertarian thread (it's quite the opposite).

And let's open this one with this: I'm not sure what to think of this. Sure, regulation is bad but taking protections away from workers in this state-corporate kingdom seems even worse. Opinions?.

Edited by The T - September 22 2015 at 10:37
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 12:01
My poll should really be relegated to just for fun.Embarrassed

But you libertarians really seem to easily get your panties in a wad.  Geeze and liberals are bad about that?

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 03 2012 at 13:12
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 12:56
^ We do? I think we have a pretty good sense of humor.The government is probably telling you otherwise.

Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

5) Crossed state lines to sell, in fact. Was told to stop, so he tried some absurd plan to get around it. Not nearly so innocent.

Guilty of what exactly? I think that's the whole issue. He's guilty of selling something. Oh Jesus. Throw the chains on him.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 13:11
Liberty takes a licking and it keeps on ticking.  Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 13:58
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Guilty of what exactly? I think that's the whole issue. He's guilty of selling something. Oh Jesus. Throw the chains on him.

Guilty of crossing state lines to sell an unsafe product where it's illegal?

I know you think highly-enriched uranium should be sold in grocery stores, and we'll never agree on that, but I just want to make it clear that this isn't a perfectly innocent local farmer sharing his spoils with well-informed neighbors.
Hail Eris!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 14:02
God damn, it was my goal to start the third one for great irony. Although I was expecting it to be closed like the SR...shoulda known you guys would self regulate it and not let the man take controlLOL

Even had a name: Libertarian Thread 3: You're like a Marxist society, no class.

Cool

Edited by JJLehto - March 03 2012 at 14:05
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 14:19
The T usurped my joke thread and...

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 14:25
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

The T usurped my joke thread and...

Yeah for reals, gotta wait another year and 200+ pages now.

USURPER!
Besides, I like having choice.
Rival libertarian thread. Maybe 2 or 3. Let the masses of PA decide which is best.

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 15:21
I do oppose this thread on the grounds that I want to see how long #2 could go.  Not sure what the longest thread in the site's history is but I was hoping that if Libertarian #2 wasn't that it would, one day, be.

Also Gamemako, your comment on selling uranium in grocery stores is ridiculous.  It is an asinine assumption that the only thing preventing this from happening is government regulation.  I saw Anthony Bourdain eat some cheese made with raw milk, on tv, a few weeks back.  Better get him.  He might have made a conscience decision to intake something that could, potentially maybe, harm his health a bit!

Time always wins.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 16:51

Guilty of crossing state lines to sell an unsafe product where it's illegal?

I know you think highly-enriched uranium should be sold in grocery stores, and we'll never agree on that, but I just want to make it clear that this isn't a perfectly innocent local farmer sharing his spoils with well-informed neighbors.

So he did something you view as wrong because he sold something to someone who wanted to consume it? Further, the crime was not selling it, but selling it because he crossed some arbitrary line drawn by government on a map? And yes unsafe like most of the things in the world it could potentially cause harm.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 17:56
Basking in the love of the third cheesesteak appreciation thread.  Cool

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 18:01
Hey, does anyone know if Llama is still alive, btw?

Time always wins.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 18:15
He logged in yesterday, so unless someone has whacked him and taken over his account, he's okay.

I miss him though. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 18:15
MoM:

1) I opened The Third because Slarti opened a fake one...

2) Are you opposing free initiative in favor of top-down control?

3) Santorum outlasted Cain. That is your answer for the question about Llama.

To everybody: thanks for ignoring my question in the first post.   
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 18:19
And yes I still can't believe there is such a thing as a cheesesteak...
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 18:37
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Also Gamemako, your comment on selling uranium in grocery stores is ridiculous.

The point is that you believe things should be available regardless of potential harm (your friendly neighborhood nuke store!), or you draw a line involving public good. I'm not arguing whether or not the sale of raw milk should be legal or whether it should be permitted to cross state lines. Whether you agree with the current placement of the line is moot; he clearly and deliberately crossed it. In fact, if these customers were so nearby, they could have collected the raw milk themselves in the state and the entire business would have been perfectly legal.

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

It is an asinine assumption that the only thing preventing this from happening is government regulation.  I saw Anthony Bourdain eat some cheese made with raw milk, on tv, a few weeks back.  Better get him.  He might have made a conscience decision to intake something that could, potentially maybe, harm his health a bit!

Consumption of raw milk is not illegal. You're arguing against a law that doesn't exist.

//EDIT:

Further, the crime was not selling it, but selling it because he crossed some arbitrary line drawn by government on a map?

All law is arbitrary. Only pure anarchy has no borders.

//EDIT: Or pure, universal statism. All is the dominion of the One World Order! Wink

Edited by Gamemako - March 03 2012 at 18:40
Hail Eris!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 23:06
^ You seperated my response incorrectly.  I was stating that it is asinine to believe that the only thing preventing uranium from being sold in grocery stores in government action.  Was pointing out that it was a silly analogy on your part.  

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

MoM:

1) I opened The Third because Slarti opened a fake one...

It's slarti, we really need to start ignoring him and letting his posts/threads die naturally.

2) Are you opposing free initiative in favor of top-down control?
You know, you're the one that asked the admins to close the other thread. Tongue 

3) Santorum outlasted Cain. That is your answer for the question about Llama.
He shouldn't have gone into hiding over that.  He got duped by a fake candidate on a book tour, we can forgive him for that.

Time always wins.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 23:08
Longest thread I can personally recount was one of the Shred Rooms, for a while we got it into the 500 page range, I wanna say like 520.
Never would've made it to that pointLOL

Anywho, it's OK Teo...you got a little sensitive and jumped the gun, I can forgive it but only because I can not legally do drugs to ease the pain. MaaanCry

Still reading that Rothbard book (I was expecting it to be an article). Compelling argument thus far.

Edited by JJLehto - March 03 2012 at 23:27
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 23:50
Did someone say cheesesteak?   Essential eating, though just last week I went to my local place (totally authentic BTW, no west coast nonsense) and got the 'Mr. Philly' which is double meat and cheese with onions and hot&sweet peppers... whiiiiich wasn't such a great idea as I'd not had one in awhile.

On subject, California has, or will in July, initiate a new No Foie Gras law that prohibits the serving of it or the cramming of food down birds' throats to make it.   Though I have usually tended to side with the foodies on this, all the Tony Bourdains and Mario Batalis and Gordon Ramsays who champion meat in every form and eviscerate veganism & Raw Foodism, I'm not sure yet how I feel about this.   Two things strike me first: 1) I nor anyone I know will miss eating foie gras, mainly because we don't-- it's expensive, artery-clogging and if I want to indulge in rich fatty meat I'll get some BBQ or have a nice pastrami or roastbeef sandwich.   2) the notion that force-feeding an animal is not cruel, that it is "natural" and that the bird "is used to both eating and feeding its young that way" may not be accurate enough to allow people to do this just so someone feeling extravagant can have what is essentially pâté, something that is still available.   Even Wolfgang Puck supports the law and believes chefs should think forwardly about it.

Yeah I know, we should all be able to eat whatever we want, but when so much equally tasty, fatty meat products are available, I don't feel too bad disallowing a metal tube down a poor goose's throat to shove cornmeal into its stomach just so some accountant can impress his date.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 11:23

Further, the crime was not selling it, but selling it because he crossed some arbitrary line drawn by government on a map?

All law is arbitrary. Only pure anarchy has no borders.

//EDIT: Or pure, universal statism. All is the dominion of the One World Order! Wink

I don't think laws against murder or arson or rape are arbitrary. There's actually a person being harmed in those cases. I can actually point to a crime being committed. You can't do that here. Also, I have this crazy idea that laws must be isotropic to be valid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 294>