Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 294>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 22:39
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I wonder what the opinions of those who didn't live through it because they became an atomic shadow instead? Murder is murder. I don't care what it seemed like at the time. It was only justifiable at the time because of the same ridiculous nationalism that lead to the whole damn thing.
War is a bitch. I said it before. War serves no purpose, except to perpetuate itself, and there will always be casualties. Who are you to say you don't care what it seemed like at the time...you were not there. Maybe you have a choice now. My father always said to me, back in the Vietnam days, "i''ll drive you up to Canada." Why would he say this? Because he knew from the worst possible experience that war was useless. Maybe we are not even arguing. 
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 22:32
I'm just saying that statement's like Jammun's have no placed in civilized society. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 22:25
I'm just saying.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 22:23
I wonder what the opinions of those who didn't live through it because they became an atomic shadow instead? Murder is murder. I don't care what it seemed like at the time. It was only justifiable at the time because of the same ridiculous nationalism that lead to the whole damn thing.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 22:17
 ^ yeah some of the attitudes these days appear as a kind of hindsight-based revisionism that, for some who lived through it, may verge on misguided and spoiled elitism.

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 22:14
Realistically, if U.S. would have seriously been intent on destroying Japan, those a-bombs should have been on Tokyo and Osaka. We took the easy route and as they say these days, "sent a message."

For what it's worth, at the time those bombs were dropped my father was a "guest of the Emperor", having survived the Bataan Death March and then been a POW for 3+ years. I can assure you he was not concerned with loss of Japanese civilian lives. 

War is a bitch.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 21:40
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It's the Oppenheimer Syndrome; if you can do it, you must do it.    As for the Einsteinian/American thinking around the A-Bomb, I imagine most people, conservative or progressive, were fairly convinced that Nazi Germany with or without Hitler would (and as we've now seen from previously suppressed documentation, technically capable of) quite surely capture the World.   Remember the context and the era--  nuclear weapons weren't considered much more than a very, very big explosive, and not the unthinkable monstrosity they became.
I'm not sure how Germany could've captured the world when even Operation SeaLion (invading the British islands) has to be put off because 1. the Luftwaffe couldn't ensure air superiority, requisite for an invasion; 2. Hitler was fixated on gaining Lebensraum in the East, specifically in the USSR. The industrial might of the US alone would've made it quite difficult. Scenarios have been worked out which show that Nazi Germany could've won WWII mostly only before the US joined the conflict and only if they had done a few different things (like entering the Soviet Union as liberators from the Stalin tyranny instead of as even more cruel oppresors, or putting some attention in the Mediterranean and the actual British Empire). Nazi Germany experimented with their sorry missiles that were supposed to be the great weapon but didn't amount to much. In the end, the absolute chaos that was Nazi Germany (where, contrary to the most vulgar opinion, there was one head but in reality million different sub-heads for every little thing, usually fighting against each other) would have ensured that the world outside of Europe would have remained as it was, and even Europe itself.

Also, having an incredibly incompetant ally (Mussolini) was a problem, but not as much as having an incredibly incompetant leader (Hitler). perhaps incredibly is too harsh, but what else is there to say when he allowed Germany to over extend for the sake of ideology? Hitler could have easily taken Anschluss, maybe even Poland or France but probably not both and certainly not all of Europe. Even if they weren't beaten back, the Nazis certainly would have imploded.

Edited by stonebeard - March 11 2012 at 21:43
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 21:35

It's the Oppenheimer Syndrome; if you can do it, you must do it.    As for the Einsteinian/American thinking around the A-Bomb, I imagine most people, conservative or progressive, were fairly convinced that Nazi Germany with or without Hitler would (and as we've now seen from previously suppressed documentation, technically capable of) quite surely capture the World.   Remember the context and the era--  nuclear weapons weren't considered much more than a very, very big explosive, and not the unthinkable monstrosity they became.
I'm not sure how Germany could've captured the world when even Operation SeaLion (invading the British islands) has to be put off because 1. the Luftwaffe couldn't ensure air superiority, requisite for an invasion; 2. Hitler was fixated on gaining Lebensraum in the East, specifically in the USSR. The industrial might of the US alone would've made it quite difficult. Scenarios have been worked out which show that Nazi Germany could've won WWII mostly only before the US joined the conflict and only if they had done a few different things (like entering the Soviet Union as liberators from the Stalin tyranny instead of as even more cruel oppresors, or putting some attention in the Mediterranean and the actual British Empire). Nazi Germany experimented with their sorry missiles that were supposed to be the great weapon but didn't amount to much. In the end, the absolute chaos that was Nazi Germany (where, contrary to the most vulgar opinion, there was one head but in reality million different sub-heads for every little thing, usually fighting against each other) would have ensured that the world outside of Europe would have remained as it was, and even Europe itself.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 21:29
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Yeah, another case of "hindsight is 20/20"  everyone is so smart after the fact!
The atomic bombs were horrific, and the aftermath maybe worse...but the alternative was not very pretty either.
Hate to be so cynical too, but in terms of # of lives lost/overall damage I find it tough to believe the invasion of mainland Japan would've been less than the bombs.

Either way a pretty sh*tty choice and outcome.

No personal connection either, my grandfather was just a mechanic in the war.

Should we not use the advantage of history to judge the actions? You're dealing in hypothetical. I know atomic bombs were dropped on a class of mostly women, children, and civilians.

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

I can't help but be soft on the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as I likely wouldn't be here today, if they hadn't been dropped, as my grandfather would have been sent to storm the Japanese mainland.  I think we all know how that would have gone.

Intelligence has suggested that a mainland assault was more feasible than the scare numbers suggested and that the Japanese could have been forced into surrender without boots on the ground.

The radioactive side effects were only guessed at true, but that's only part of the problem. There were other issues before the bombs were even dropped. There was some fear that the fission reaction would be unstoppable, but they tested the bombs. They then dropped them out of ignorance of the effects. That's not as bad as knowing the effects, but it's hardly absolution. The targets picked had minimal military significance. They practiced shock and awe with human lives. They did it as Dresden too. The Allies entered that war with blood on their hands and left it with significantly more.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 21:23
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

At least he regretted it after being removed from the fear that the Nazis would develop the weapon first. Small consolation to those that died, but there's a big difference between creation and use. 

Tell that to the victims of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs. 

Tell them what? That I blame Einstein for the horror, but I believe the individuals who ordered to dropping of the bombs and physically dropped them deserve a higher moral culpability? I don't think they'll be interested in my opinion anyway. I'm more concerned about future victims.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 20:32
Wait until my tomato-marijuana/shroom/DMT hybrids. Will blow your mind, assuming no one tries to regulate it!
 ; )
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 20:23
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Partially necessity, if you get going on WWII I will not stop myselfLOL even if I want to.

As for the primaries, what boggled so many people was why I decided to do it. Seemed simple to me:
It's safe to say Obama is winning the Dem nomination...so why not go to GOP where there's an actual primary going on? Can still vote for whoever in the election. Also, since I kind of like Paul and loathe every other GOPer might as well put my vote there. Thank goodness no one gives a sh*t about NJ and our primary is so late...don't even need to be registered till late May!

I will never be a Republican though, and though it's just a name I'm sick of officially being a DemocratLOL so Independent it will be. It's not a big deal to switch if I ever choose to temporarily. But I guess I've betrayed my fellow liberals and trying to explain any of that usually leads to epic lolstorms, so I just say I want those sweet drugs Paul will make legal.

Cool
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 20:18
Partially necessity, if you get going on WWII I will not stop myselfLOL even if I want to.

As for the primaries, what boggled so many people was why I decided to do it. Seemed simple to me:
It's safe to say Obama is winning the Dem nomination...so why not go to GOP where there's an actual primary going on? Can still vote for whoever in the election. Also, since I kind of like Paul and loathe every other GOPer might as well put my vote there. Thank goodness no one gives a sh*t about NJ and our primary is so late...don't even need to be registered till late May!

I will never be a Republican though, and though it's just a name I'm sick of officially being a DemocratLOL so Independent it will be. It's not a big deal to switch if I ever choose to temporarily. But I guess I've betrayed my fellow liberals and trying to explain any of that usually leads to epic lolstorms, so I just say I want those sweet drugs Paul will make legal. Oh and that only one candidate in the field wants actual change, and his name don't rhyme with Iraq.

Edited by JJLehto - March 11 2012 at 20:24
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 20:04

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 20:04
Brian
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 19:36
I find WWII an endlessly fascinating topic but I thought this thread was all about the savior

He's stuck to the "we're actually winning" and "forget the numbers we'll have the delegates in the end" tickets and I'll admit, the whole f**kin thing confuses me, so I'll wait and see.
Never thought I'd utter these words in my life but sent out the form to register republicanShocked  ASAP after a primary vote is cast I'll be going to Independent thoughApprove

Edited by JJLehto - March 11 2012 at 19:49
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 19:21
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

I can't help but be soft on the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as I likely wouldn't be here today, if they hadn't been dropped, as my grandfather would have been sent to storm the Japanese mainland.  I think we all know how that would have gone.

My dad was born in '42 but my grandfather was in the service and overseas in the pacific after VJ.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 19:05
Yeah, another case of "hindsight is 20/20"  everyone is so smart after the fact!
The atomic bombs were horrific, and the aftermath maybe worse...but the alternative was not very pretty either.
Hate to be so cynical too, but in terms of # of lives lost/overall damage I find it tough to believe the invasion of mainland Japan would've been less than the bombs.

Either way a pretty sh*tty choice and outcome.

No personal connection either, my grandfather was just a mechanic in the war.

Edited by JJLehto - March 11 2012 at 19:07
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 19:01

Time always wins.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 18:36
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

At least he regretted it after being removed from the fear that the Nazis would develop the weapon first. Small consolation to those that died, but there's a big difference between creation and use. 

Tell that to the victims of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs. 
Bombs dropped by a democrat! TongueClown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 294>