Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 19:47
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee

Time always wins.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 02:46
"You're first dragon dead, using your fists. Good job, you're halfway to becoming a Viking now."

Warning: NSFW due to large amounts of foul language.

I mean, I know it's pretty obvious how you go about the process, but the guy's commentary is priceless.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 17:33
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee

And despite the terribly physical damage it did to you, surely you will support his right to carry that bow!
Video Games is about the extent of my adventure as well....

I can go solo into the wilderness and kill whole bandit camps with my fists, slay dragons and rob people blind.
In real life I work, sit on the computer, sleep and if I go to a club and dance with a female friend that's like the craziest sh*t in my lifeCry oh and try to tell liberals why they should support limited government of course, but that's gone as well as killing dragons!

Edited by JJLehto - March 26 2013 at 17:35
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 09:39
Great article by Ron Paul.

http://www.albanytribune.com/27032013-ron-paul-neo-con-war-addiction-threatens-our-future-oped/

Edited by King of Loss - March 28 2013 at 09:39
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 07:13
Happy Cesar Chavez Day, everyone.  Smile
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 18:42
From the former Obama voting liberal turn libertarian from England...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9966722/Welfare-reform-Its-class-war-but-not-in-the-way-youd-expect.html

What's crazy is when I started reading this my first thought was "the old me would say something like ah! those evil conservatives and their rhetoric have even fooled those who need it now!"
Later in the article I read that's exactly what British liberals have been sayingShocked 
More I reflect on myself, I can say with growing confidence the problem with liberalism/progressivism is clinging to ideas instead of always accepting reality (ironic?) and the need to run society. Even if you don't actively think it, there is the urge you are right, and must right the wrongs and guide society.

Both in the US and apparently England, the middle class are big welfare supporters though at least there, seems many receiving welfare think the system is f***ed up, yet they are fooled and brainwashed! Those dumb poor b*****ds good thing us smarter, well off middle classers are looking out for what they need.
Government needs to fix your issues, even if you don't want itLOL

Edited by JJLehto - April 02 2013 at 18:43
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 12:25

The younger generation of today has grown up in a world in which, in school and press, the spirit of commercial enterprise has been represented as disreputable and the making of profit as immoral, where to employ 100 people is represented as exploitation but to command the same number as honourable.

Hayek's Road to Serfdom predicts The Doctor LOL

Time always wins.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 16:39
I'll be honest, I do think that's a bit of libertarian living in the basement-ism (sorry) at least put that way.
Few people I know had any real dreams/passions just a route to make $$ and I believe studies (limited Im sure) bear out the current generation (us below 30) are more obsessed with making a lot of $$ than previous ones.

But we're also lazy and have a f**king huge sense of entitlement. Man, I know so many personally that just think if they skate through life things will just "work out" and that they are owed everything.
In that way I see what you mean.

I am a lazy b*****d, but I don't expect to ever make much $$ from it!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 19:41

Time always wins.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 17:13
Heh heh...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/06/bill-maher-libertarianism-paul-ryan-rand-paul-video_n_3028244.html

This is EXACTLY what I have against modern libertarianism.

"To everyone who keeps trying to shame me about abandoning my Libertarian moorings, my message is this: I didn't go nuts, this movement did. Like when you see a stop light, your reaction should be 'Great, an easy way to ensure we don't all crash into each other,' not, 'How dare the government tell me when I can and cannot go!"
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 17:19
Maher was never the Libertarian he fancies himself.  He's a liberal statist who likes the "legalize weed" portion of the Libertarian platform.  That's it. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 17:57
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Maher was never the Libertarian he fancies himself.  He's a liberal statist who likes the "legalize weed" portion of the Libertarian platform.  That's it. 

He still makes some good points as to why the movement has gone crazy, and does it in a funny way.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 18:12
I don't think the movement has changed much at all.  Liberts have always believed the same things they believe these days....you just have people practicing the art of "defining your enemy", paint conservs as extreme, etc.  Nothing new.

Welcome back, btw

Edited by Finnforest - April 09 2013 at 18:12

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 18:13
I'm a liberal statist who thinks the weed issue is pretty insignificant when compared to a lot of other issues facing this country.  Could be because I don't really do it.  But really, some people's ability to get high doesn't outweigh things like war, poverty, lack of health care, etc.  And the libertarians are selling that pot thing to try to bring liberals over to their side.  Become a libertarian and you can smoke all the pot you want.  LOL
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 18:15
Agree the weed issue is pretty small....though it's no ploy.  Just something they think is silly, like many Americans.

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 18:18
The country as a whole has moved quite a bit to the right, Jim.  The Republicans of today are much farther to the right than they were 40 years ago, and the Democrats are also much farther to the right than they were 40 years ago.  Ex: Obama is nowhere near as liberal as FDR was.  Heck, Obama is nowhere near as liberal as Eisenhower was.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 18:23
Yeah I know you feel that way doc, respectfully, i think its just the opposite.  We've moved way left on social issues....spending, environment, regulation, tons of stuff.

Dems were very conservative in the 60s.  The country is just far more liberal than it ever has been.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 18:35
I think the country, from what I have read and what I see, hasn't moved in any direction but down. It definitely isn't more of a business paradise where at least everyone can have a job because of a free market, nor it is at least a place where basics like health care are there for everybody.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 19:30
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I don't think the movement has changed much at all.  Liberts have always believed the same things they believe these days....you just have people practicing the art of "defining your enemy", paint conservs as extreme, etc.  Nothing new.

Welcome back, btw

So are you saying that Libertarians have never held this "government has no right to make any rules - everything should be free" attitude, or that they've always had it?  Because I can name a few people on this forum who seem to have this "how dare they make rules!  Free market will naturally make the right things happen!" attitude.  Actually, my brother in law is one - guy is nuts and doesn't even know it.  Thinks if we just take all the rules away, everything will magically be wonderful somehow.  I guess he thinks society was wonderful back when cavemen bonked women on the heads and dragged them back to their caves to you know what them in the hoo has.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 20:59
^ How very nonsensical of you.  Good to see you're back in form.

Also, why are we still stuck on this "moved to the right" "moved to the left" garbage?  It's absolute bullsh*t used to divide people onto teams and accept their masters.  Let's stop painting with a broad brush and discuss issues without having to look through that bogus scope... at least on here.

Time always wins.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 294>