Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 294>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 10:36
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Top 45 Lines in Obama's UN Speech
dang, impressive

Some are a stretch but that is quite a thorough shredding.
This one may have been my favorite: “Iraq shows us that democracy cannot be imposed by force.” This could have been true had the U.S. attempted to impose democracy.

I know that blog though, I may be wrong but I believe it's a pretty progressive one (and the quoting of Steve Keen and Stiglitz would lend more to that). Edit: eh Zero Hedge is in there too so who knowsLOL

Edited by JJLehto - September 26 2013 at 10:38
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 12:14
Agreed. These types of fact checks should be done more often. But they rarely are.

An anarcho-communist friend showed it to me so it wouldn't be surprising to have it be from a progressive site.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 12:30

I mean it's some dude's blog, guess I can let it go but yeah was a bit of pure Bama bashing. Some solid points though. Even if inflammatory gotta love the image of the last one:

[S]overeignty cannot be a shield for tyrants to commit wanton murder.”  Says a man who reads through a list of potential murder victims on Tuesdays and ticks off the ones he wants murdered.

I imagine him making that nice setence in a powerful speech, then turning around going to his room, kicks the feet up and ponders 'hmmm who to drone today?" : /
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 14:04
Well, unless something changes isn't tomorrow a big day? At lease symbolically?
The exchanges under "obamacare" open up, at least they're supposed to.

I'm not sure if anyone even knows what exactly they are or how they'll work.

What a mess, really wish it could be reset and redone with a more direct, universal aspect based on a more open market. Current system is hideously closed and uncompetitive and ACA is labyrinth. I wanna hold hope that in the loooong run this will end up producing some positives, but would be nice if it was directly stated as a goal anot this wreck.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 14:13
Another shutdown-looms period. It's really getting ridiculous. Every year.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 22:24
Gee golly I can't wait until we forget Republicans did this and vote them in again next time.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 23:35
I can't say I've been really following, but I've heard that "essential" functions would continue, making the shutdown even more of a spectacle than it already is, except I guess there are real consequences.

Well, that's merka for you. Wubya and co were about as unpopular as the devil....2 years later ZOMG WTF BAMA GIVE US THE GOP!!!!
Gotta love it Cry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 07:18
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Gee golly I can't wait until we forget Republicans did this and vote them in again next time.

It'd be nicer if we stop putting blame on individual parties, where they don't lie singularly, and just stop voting in the character of politician we've acquiesced to the last 100 years.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:44

The people will continue to vote in these idjits...on both the right and the left.
But for the GOP idjits to shut down govt because they don't like a specific bill that is already law shows what kind of people they really are.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:48

It'd be nicer if we stop putting blame on individual parties, where they don't lie singularly, and just stop voting in the character of politician we've acquiesced to the last 100 years.
I agree but the people that run for office are usually self serving and the kind of people that many of us would like to see in office simply don't get involved in politics.
Regarding the original thread title.......'liberty' has died a long time ago.
Haquin
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 13:27

Would be nice eh?

Soooo it appears the government has shut down.
oooooor more like everything seems to be continuing except the parks, and a few marines/military people have been cut off from their healthcare.
And what? Obamacare wont be impacted by this? AND GOP is getting all the blame for this, just as people said would happen?

Clap
The comedy of errors and plain ol stupidity is impressive to be honest.

But hey, it's their turn. Years back I was slamming my head against a wall saying "WTF is wrong with you Democrats, are you guys idiots?" Glad to know it's universal Cry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 13:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I agree but the people that run for office are usually self serving and the kind of people that many of us would like to see in office simply don't get involved in politics.

I doubt that. It's a survivor's bias. Plenty of good and principled people get involved in politics, but they find out at the local level the nature of the beast and either change or leave.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 14:02

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I doubt that. It's a survivor's bias. Plenty of good and principled people get involved in politics, but they find out at the local level the nature of the beast and either change or leave.

Perhaps some decent people get involved at the local level - though from my experience that's not the case and I know bcause my father was involved in local politics in my area and it was corrupt and self serving at that level also,- but they never make it to Washington.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 14:52
So yeah that's exactly what I said. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 22:51
Please enlighten me, what is the Democratic objection to the Republican proposal for partial funding. 
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 05:37
...........Meanwhile in Beijing :

SmileSmileBig smileBig smileLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 07:50
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Please enlighten me, what is the Democratic objection to the Republican proposal for partial funding. 

I probably shouldn't even be looking at this thread (it's been proven to be bad for mental health), but popped in and saw this.  Ok, here's the deal - the Republican party have proven themselves to be extortionists.  They're bullies.  It's all or nothing for them.  Their way or the highway.  Now, the Republican party is trying to convince the Democrats to give in to a partial funding.  On just the things they like.  What do you think will happen with the other stuff if the Democrats give in to that one?  Do you think the Republicans will say "sure, we can fund those too!", or do you think they'll pull a Nelson:

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 08:01
That does not answer my question, Geoff.  It was a factual and not a rhetorical question.  I want to KNOW what exactly is the objection of Democrats to the proposal from the Republicans because I only found from the news that there was a proposal for partial funding which Democrats turned down.  What is the reason they gave for that is what I am asking, not why it may or may not be justified for them to do so.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 09:23
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

That does not answer my question, Geoff.  It was a factual and not a rhetorical question.  I want to KNOW what exactly is the objection of Democrats to the proposal from the Republicans because I only found from the news that there was a proposal for partial funding which Democrats turned down.  What is the reason they gave for that is what I am asking, not why it may or may not be justified for them to do so.

The Republican's proposal only includes the things THEY would like to see funded.  Ok, so let's give them everything they want with the goodwill faith that they will turn around and offer us what we want, eh?  That would be stupid.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 09:25
Ok, I give up.  LOL  I didn't ask for YOUR reason.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 294>