Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 281282283284285 294>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 23:04
That's awful.  Access of good education should be decided on merit, not money.  But by the same token, quotas for minorities also need to go, at least at higher levels. It is alright at the primary level but one would expect that less privileged students would also be equipped enough to secure higher education on merit.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 23:08
I know it is. Just curious, where are you living at the moment?
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 23:08
India.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 23:57
The higher education system her couldn't be any more screwed up. Only elites (and some luckyly awesome low income students in scholarships) can access the schools that form those who end up deciding the life of everyone else. Then for the rest you have a system that saddles students with horrendous amount of debt that has to be paid with the meagre salaries of a constantly more unequal economy, where those at the bottom practically are paid less than subsistence wages, either by money-wasting big universities who are better in forming college football teams than having strong academics, or for-profit education companies where, well, their nature explains it all (disclosure: I work for one).

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 00:02
But what stops the market creating more seats at lower prices to compensate for this?  Is it teachers' unions keeping salaries of teachers high, something like that?  Because land on average is pretty cheap in USA compared to India so that can't be the issue.  
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 01:22
Exactly right T.  The idea that someone should have to go 30, 40, 100 thousand dollars in debt just so they can compete in the job market and possibly get an entry level position that may someday allow them to work their way into middle management is probably one of the worst things in this country.  As for what stops the market from compensating, the loans themselves have created the market for those higher priced seats and there are enough people out there ready to fill those seats to capacity that there is no room for lower cost seats to become available.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 01:26
Ah, debt!  Sorry if I ask too many questions of detail, but what are the interest rates (if any) charged on student loans?  They are pretty high (like interest on any other loan for that matter) in India so only the really ambitious students who want to study in the best engineering institutes/B-schools do it. But you can get through a normal graduate program, say, in commerce, with a very nominal financial burden, especially if it's one that gets govt aid.  And back when I was studying, the IT virus was so rampant that there was less competition for commerce seats so it was relatively speaking a breeze for me.  Don't know if that's necessarily true today because CPA equivalents here get jobs more easily than those going to the software industry, who have to wait months together, sometimes a year, to get placed.

Edited by rogerthat - June 21 2014 at 01:27
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 01:34
The interests rates here are anywhere from between 3 1/2 to 8 percent.  Average around 5 so not too draconian, but it still adds up if you've got 50K in debt.  Another issue here is that universities sell courses of study that are completely useless out in the real world (tons of those) and I don't know if people are just young and dumb or if we've become so pampered as a society that someone would go 50K in debt to get a degree that is about as useful as a degree in underwater basket weaving would be.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 01:35
Maybe debt makes the students complacent. It pinches more if you have to pay for it with whatever you've actually got by way of savings than if you can have a loan take care of it and hope to recoup it when you start working.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 01:39
I think that's a big part of it.  What is tuition like there?  Here it is outrageous.  And is getting more outrageous by the day, it seems.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 01:49
You mean private tutors?  Strictly, depends.  Some simply cram a condensed version of the subject into your head which is good enough to max the exams but won't help you if you want to apply it in practical situations.  But otherwise, some of the best teachers I have had, especially at higher levels, were actually those who ran their own 'classes' (as we call them) because they took the time to give students a good conceptual foundation.   I would not say even then they were all totally amazing or awe inspiring but they did their job well and I am a self reliant person, errmm...when it comes to education anyway, so I helped myself wherever there were gaps.  I spent money on a tax course for my final CPA (CA is what we call it) papers but it was a waste because the tutor was not good.  But I had already been doing a lot of tax work in my apprenticeship so I didn't really need it, in hindsight.  So anyhow the situation of private tutorship shows how markets fill the need felt by students for good teaching and also provide an opportunity to people who might not find compensation in schools and colleges appetising enough.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 01:56
No.  Sorry.  I meant how much does it cost to go to university?  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 02:05
Not a lot at all.  But depends on what degree, what college.  Engineering and medical in the best institutes can be costly.   IIT-Bombay charges somewhere around what $800 per year.  That's dirt cheap by US standards, I guess, but for a poor student, it would be very costly.  Then again, IIT entrance tests are very competitive and I am not sure that many who are very poor would be able to clear it.   If you just want a Graduate Degree in either Science or Commerce, though, it's pretty cheap.  Even colleges that don't get govt aid would charge you around $170 or so per year and colleges that do get aid...maybe $50.  It's eight years since I graduated so these numbers may not be too accurate but I am sure they are not too far off.  Here the problem is more of getting admission to a good college because employers, especially in big companies, can fuss a lot about where you studied, what degree, etc.  However, in good times, even smaller firms paid decent salaries and they tend to be more interested in whether you can do the job rather than your qualifications.  There are too many students and too few seats, that in a nutshell is the issue here.  And ridiculous ultra high scoring in the high school exam (10th standard for us) doesn't help matters.

Edited by rogerthat - June 21 2014 at 02:06
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 10:29
The problem has many origins I think. One is the nature itself of the system here in the US where healthcare and education are "industries" that are just like any other, designed to generate profit and not social results. But that would be simplistic. Many countries have an equivalent of financial aid, bit education costs remain low. Here they have become inflated because, well, they can. Besides the millionaire compensations of university presidents and the stupid expenses in state-of-the-art buildings and sporting facilities, compensations are very high. And the quality keeps going down: I wouldn't have believed it by just reading it, but I experienced it, in the not-for-profit University I attended: classes given by assistants, not the professors themselves, powerpoint presentations repeated verbatim, etc. 

Financial aid, sadly, has become a problem instead of a solution. The program is well intended. But its very existence suddenly gives everybody the option to go to college, and the best way for universities to get millions of students and millions of dollars at any price they like to set. The 90-10 rule is an example: this rule says that at least 10% of a university's income has to come from sources different than Financial Aid. So 90 PERCENT of a college revenue can come from student's grants and loans. They basically live off the state, and it's in their interest that financial aid remains available for everybody, no matter how little the chances of a student actually graduating or getting a good job, no matter the amount of debt a student gets to get a useless degree. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 10:37
LOL @ stupid expenses on state of the art sports facilities.  You know, just a month back, I was in America and pretty much gaping in awe at my cousin sis's huge school campus with in house stadiums.  Because my school as well as my college were both just large, single, multi storeyed blocks with a small patch of land that was passed off as a playground and they were places of decent repute (the actual quality of education they delivered is a different story altogether).  

But yeah, I do agree that such facilities should only be created and maintained where it is sustainable to do so.  Thanks for a very informative analysis.  It does seem like grants become a necessity at some point, something to be kept alive at any cost, even where it no longer fulfills its original purpose and perhaps impedes it.  After all, what is the point of state grants for educational facilities but to make it affordable for students lacking financial means to pay for it.  So if students have to take debt on board to avail of education, it's a terrible situation.  It puts in perspective some of the criticism of Govt I have read on this thread and elsewhere on the net.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 00:56
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Maybe debt makes the students complacent. It pinches more if you have to pay for it with whatever you've actually got by way of savings than if you can have a loan take care of it and hope to recoup it when you start working.  

Pinches LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 09:19
Following from the train of thought I voiced last time on the adverse effects of wantonly pursuing expansion of output, I would like to state here that I am now a convert on the issue of legal tender.  Tongue It has taken a long time for me to look at it clearly but perhaps I have got the hang of it now.  Basically, even as a 'mere' means of exchange, money should have a price.  It should be a good.  It should be backed by value and ideally what money one decides to use should be decided by competition between currencies, not a govt monopoly.  Let me be very clear that this does not mean I have turned libertarian overnight (because I just have a strictly personal distaste for over-committing to one particular set of principles to the exclusion of everything else)! LOL  But mainly that looking at it logically it is (suddenly) easy for me to see how the sheer worthlessness of a currency under govt monopoly allows them to do with it as they please and repeatedly wreck havoc on the economy.  If they did not have unlimited flexibility over what amount of money they could release into the market, they would also be forced to manage money supply better and allow for a scenario where the market could correct itself rather than govt having to bail it out at great cost to the taxpayer.  The only condition under which it is at all acceptable for govts alone to have the right to print currency is if it is backed by physical assets like gold and silver and not just an IOU.  But for the complex and inter connected world we live in today, competition would probably be better.  Just in my own country, looking at all the white-elephants-left-to-dust that the govt built for various reasons and wasted money on...that probably wouldn't be possible if money actually had a value instead of just something that flowed on the tap from a printing press.  It would have kept finances more responsible.  I think the great misgiving is austerity would not help the poor access at least a semblance of dignity in their lives but the other issue is such an upliftment has to happen on a sustainable basis and not by means of a blank cheque written by tax payers to govt. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 21:11
As someone who not only is dealing with loans from his undergrad, but wanting to pursue more education, I can say yes...things are pretty screwed up here. We all know the price is crippling, perpetually rising but funny stadiums were mentioned...sports have really messed things up too. 

Every American has already known this, but it's finally being said by the mainstream:
There's been a few scandals out of U of North Carolina about athletes putting out laughably BS work and being passed, taking fluff classes, sometimes even more or less "made up" classes just for athletes. This happens at every university big with sports.
It's become purely business. Though it is illegal to do so, over 100 (I think) schools have been busted paying students to go there, and paying them while playing there. The schools of course make quite a pretty penny off all this. Tragically, my alma mater showed how far a school will go to protect their "brand" ie Penn State covering up child molestation since it involved our beloved football team. 

The schools and governing sports body make a killing, but athletes are barred from profiting from their name, I recall one kid being told to stop selling caps with his number on it for $15. Seriously...
So this is why there has been a suit brought against the NCAA, as well as athletes in Northwestern fighting to be unionized !?  I heard a long, interesting talk on the radio about the economics of it all, and if these cases move forward, basically the far far away, logical endpoint are college football and basketball becoming their own independent, profitable, self sustaining league. In a way I don't see why it shouldn't be...the schools use the kids for $, the better athletes have no interest in education, (usually), all are being paid off, and these schools sink so much into sports...maybe if they were their own league these universities could actually focus on ya know, educationAngry

Sorry, it's a major angering point for me hah
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 21:37
Anyway...if I can get into college for a bit, I am curious what some here think, especially Roger. 

I've heard so many reasons why college in the US has become so outrageous, no one fully sure why. 
Some say the increase in loans available have made demand too great for supply. Some that "neoliberal" ways have corrupted the schools, cutting costs (including for professors) and making big bucks for administrators. Again... at one point my school's president was the highest paid in the US, well over $1 mill a year. Some say states have been cutting aid to their schools, thus tuition must naturally rise. Maybe a bit of all. 

So I'll ask, does anyone think it's possible too many kids go to college?
It sounds bad to say, liberals esp get mad at it, but I don't know. There's way more college grads than worthy jobs, many young Americans know lots of college grads are working jobs that don't need it, supposedly wages have been stagnating for college grads as well. 

Yes, right now it is still worth it to go. However, with costs rising, more grads struggling to find work/worthy pay isn't it almost like a bubble? 

More so, if more grads have to take "lesser" jobs, won't it kind of push everyone down the ladder? 

Could it simply be supply and demand? I know in my parent's generation college was the golden ticket. That was the way to a good middle class life, or better. So as more kids go to college operating under this belief, it's basically flooded the schools which have pretty inflexible capacity (inelastic supply) thus why tuition skyrockets? 

So it's great so many more have an opportunity for a better life, but have too many taken advantage? 
It used to be that the elite universities were a ladder for the elites to run the country, while the state universities (many funded by the land grant acts in the 1800s) were there for the "regular" people, as a chance to learn important skills focused on engineering and farming, and get that ticket to a better life. These state schools provided a middle class life for lots of people in their respective states. Even when I went to Penn State, a land grant school, in the mid 2000s it's where people in state went for engineering and agriculture.I think it's reasonable that for whatever reasons, so many are choosing to go now it simply is "adjusting" aka higher tuition, becoming more selective, eventually maybe only the affluent/truly good students will be able to go againLOL  

How is university education like in other countries/all this mess avoided? Am I wrong about all this?

Edited by JJLehto - June 29 2014 at 21:43
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 01:37
Does appear to be a case of excess demand. If students take on loans to pursue courses that may not offer great job prospects, there's no incentive for institutes to charge less. In India students typically only borrow for courses at reputed engineering/medical colleges or B schools. So there are lots of courses that are very affordable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 281282283284285 294>