Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 285286287288289 294>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 15:29
Also I have question to ask...seriously: MoM have you ever worked in a private company? 
I have, all my life. As has both my parents, brother and many friends mind you. So having spent my working career in the private sector....I can say they produce a lot of waste, inefficiency, are often VERY slow to respond/change and make mind boggling decisions. Not to mention they are far from meritocracy: Jobs go to "who you know" right? Often I've seen promotion based on ass kissing, friendship and favors and not merit. We also know private companies can be corrupt.  

All this can 100% absolutely be said of the gov, that's may point. Who's the utopian here? Who thinks that in a certain specific hard to obtain environment, human beings will suddenly not act like human beings? Not I. 

Edited by JJLehto - March 04 2015 at 15:51
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 15:39
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Yeah, I don't think the Eurozone is an example of libertarianism though it may tick some boxes like having a currency movement and (relatively) free movement of labour.  Most countries in Eurozone also have a large welfare state, I suppose, which requires significant govt intervention.  What I will say is you cannot follow piecemeal libertarian policies if you are going to have a large welfare establishment.  To that extent, I'd agree that massive public spending was a better solution than austerity to the 2008 crisis.  In the long run, though, not having only fiat money would be a much better solution.  The problem is not necessarily that central banks are as dumb as Friedman insinuated.  It is that ultimately they are political too.  Greenspan kept easy money going too long as a populist measure.

I  learnt the other day that Zimbabwe actually accepts a few foreign currencies as local legal tender, including the Indian Rupee!  LOL  The reason is their terribly debased local currency is now worthless.  Foretaste of the future?

Yup! Zimbabwe's only solution to their unholy hyperinflation was to simply abandon their currency and use others! 
I don't think it's in our future or any western country (or most for that matter) unless they implement a horrible land reform policy, get involved with a war, and run the printing press irresponsibly. A collapse of supply PLUS too much money! Also their lack of many institutions and horrible corruption. Despite what some here may think, I do feel printing money can be a problem of course, just there is some misunderstanding about QE vs tossing buckets out thereLOL Especially since we don't have to pay off warlords to keep em loyal or to elites/companies to funnel money to our gov for their blood diamond miningCry

Well the Eurozone isn't libertarian of course, as you say they have large welfare states, but feel free to correct me: Isn't the Euro kind of like a gold standard? I'm talking just monetary here and forgetting welfare.
All the countries that adopted the Euro are no longer issuers, but users (like US states, companies, households) and thus become bound by the "rules"? Like they have to watch spending, can't use QE (though I am very neutral on that policy) it basically ties your hands, as a gold standard is intended to do. It's weird since it's multi country, and thus causes even bigger problems like having to "deal with" Greece to keep yourself stable, or Greece being forced to accept austerity measures from Germany. Seems to me like tying all our arms together then when slips and falls we all thrash around to stand up awkwardlyLOL

Anywho, I thought that was the difference between an issuer and user of currency, policy space. The US or Japan can run bigger deficits and do more in general, our limitation being only inflation/resources. Also there's been no speculative attacks on the US or Japan, interest rates fell and have stayed record low despite theory saying they'd skyrocket. And isn't all this giving up control of your currency, more or less a gold standard? Or pegging to another, it all kind of is the same?

You are right, Central Banks are political despite some, like the Fed, being designed to keep em independent. I also think Friedman was kind of wrong in his views on monetary policy. To be fair I think so are Keynesians who believed in QE or those that think tinkering will work, or there should be a "dual mandate" which the ECB doesn't have. I'd say the Fed should be concerned with: Regulating, as well as maintaining an elastic currency and price stability....zero concern should be had for employment. That can be left to the gov, which is more effective imo. But not more welfare and "leaky bucket" stimuli but smart spending. 

Edited by JJLehto - March 04 2015 at 15:51
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 18:38
I don't think the intent of QE is bad. Banks were undercapitalised in 2008 and the Fed needed to resuscitate them to stop the failures. This could have ended there had US govt backed them up with the appropriate increase in public spending. When this didn't happen, the Fed was forced to keep up QE. Even now the rate of inflation is too low in US, which suggests that the recovery is not as strong as it might have been with govt pulling its weight. The battle between maintaining the welfare state or the military empire has cost a lot of time.

As for Eurozone, I agree with your arguments but it would appear that no adjustment happened in the domestic balance sheets of these countries to account for the inflexibility of a single currency. Instead they believed better off nations would help the ones in trouble to preserve the europroject. My argument is that in a situation where a country's currency is linked to gold, the govt would not keep up fiscal looseness for too long even in boom times. Given a recession though, I do think the flexibility of fiat money unbound from gold can aid quicker recovery.

What Zimbabwe is going through now, Germany went through after WWI. Mankind has shown a capacity to repeat mistakes duly recorded in history. I think more than the developed nations, the emerging economies with higher inflation must be cautious not to get addicted to devaluation to solve their problems.

Edited by rogerthat - March 04 2015 at 21:39
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 21:17
I don't think the intent was bad at all, I just don't think it was ever gunna spur on growth like some made it out to be. Absolutely, even Bernanke said himself the Fed can only do so much and, basically, Congress is being an ass by dragging their feet.  

I agree fully, the "recovery" has been pathetic, thanks to the gov's inaction. It's better than austerity though. I saw last month US inflation dipped negative, this is astounding. Despite all the Fed's might and unemployment a good bit below 6% we're barely fighting off deflation. 

Ah I see, well that is fair. I do think the multi national linking does make it all a bit sticky. Yeah recession is when trouble really arises, and if the intention was well off countries would just help out the others, that deff is a poorly thought out plan. Esp since, one could argue, it basically is turning Greece into a debt slave to Germany!

Yeah no doubt about that. Zimbabwe did have a lot of things wrong, but I agree overall. It may sound nutty, I still think I'm fairly moderate. As discussed before it would be more efficient, maybe even cheaper, and more beneficial for sure to directly employ people, and spend on infrastructure, R&D and etc  than more and more welfare. Scaling down the massive military budget wouldn't be a bad idea for sure. 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 21:46
It has taken a non mainstream Greek party to call the bluff on the austerity hawks. Which may mean more fringe and anti integration parties start winning elections in Europe. That will work fine as long as it is restricted to the weaker nations like Greece. What happens when an anti integration party comes to power in Germany? Could be a very volatile situation. Europe have inflicted some avoidable problems on themselves through their inflexibility.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 22:51
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Wait, you're kidding right?  If not, thanks for the laugh anyway.  Keep observing real life instances of things that don't exist though, buddy.  Personally I blame ghosts and the Loch Ness monster for all economic ills.

The market is a naturally occurring thing.  That's it, that's all, that simple.  It doesn't break, it doesn't need fixed, any and all government intervention in the naturally occurring free market corrupts it by creating an imbalance.  When government force is introduced it invariably creates inequality.  This is almost always done in the name of equality, oddly enough, because for some reason people believe that's an achievable result of force.  There is no utopia so stop poking here and fiddling there and expecting things to balance out for everyone because it doesn't work that way.  Nothing will ever be perfect, there is no such thing.  Also, we all die.

You can't honestly expect anyone to take this argument seriously. Can you?

We need some reasonable way to know that these things you say are true. Even if the market is naturally occurring, nothing else you say follows. Potatoes are natural. Potatoes were also poisonous before the Andean people artificially selected them for lower alkaloid levels.

The reason we don't have answers to this and that we don't have 'the' theory of economics is because economics is complicated and hard to measure and hard to model and hard to even understand basic causal forces. I don't think free market theory does itself any good by trying to market itself as a simple modus ponens from some mysterious set of axioms.

Thank you Pat. 

Quick note on Utopia: You are 100% correct, there is no utopia. Maybe one day you, MoM, will stop arguing/waiting for one. 

Anyway, Pat beat me to it (didn't think he even poked around here anymore!)

Usually don't. Research has been too intense for me to do much of anything.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 23:14
A neo nazi (or at least fascist) party has gained a few seats in Greece! 
And indeed I think the more nationalist and xenophobic sentiments growing in wake of the Euro crisis is disturbing in its own right but that's true, the very system could be threatened if the anti integration sentiment grows. It very well may! 

You mentioned humans tending to repeat history....I can't believe we're talking about very right wing/nationalist/anti european feelings arising in Europe, due to economic hardships and the people feeling govs have let them down. This does sound a little familiar... You hit it on the head, a poor design and inflexibility has created a bit of a sh*tstorm. Also the misery caused, besides my feelings that austerity doesn't work (Greece's debt to GDP ratio increased anyway) but even if it does, there are other alternatives...ones that don't require 30% unemployment, mass poverty and a whole new generation of youths starting the in the dumps. Our favorite snarky b*****d William K Black likened austerity to bloodletting, drain em and if they dont die "recovery" comes from the weakness the process caused!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 23:20
As I figured Pat. How's it coming along? 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 10:37

A neo nazi (or at least fascist) party has gained a few seats in Greece! 
And indeed I think the more nationalist and xenophobic sentiments growing in wake of the Euro crisis is disturbing in its own right but that's true, the very system could be threatened if the anti integration sentiment grows. It very well may! 

You mentioned humans tending to repeat history....I can't believe we're talking about very right wing/nationalist/anti european feelings arising in Europe, due to economic hardships and the people feeling govs have let them down. This does sound a little familiar... You hit it on the head, a poor design and inflexibility has created a bit of a sh*tstorm. Also the misery caused, besides my feelings that austerity doesn't work (Greece's debt to GDP ratio increased anyway) but even if it does, there are other alternatives...ones that don't require 30% unemployment, mass poverty and a whole new generation of youths starting the in the dumps. Our favorite snarky b*****d William K Black likened austerity to bloodletting, drain em and if they dont die "recovery" comes from the weakness the process caused!

And even the timing is so eerily familiar: the second decade of a new century.  To quote from the famous Blue Oyster Cult, "History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 21:16

Frustrating at the moment because I have good partial results in a bunch of different problems that I'm looking at, but I haven't really completed any of these open problems.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:05
Utopian, me?  Feh *spits*
This world is a sh*thole that we all eventually leave, with nothing to look forward but eternal darkness.  I shouldn't let the chains make me so angry, I guess, should learn to be a good little drone till the end.  Would be happier, maybe.

Time always wins.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:38
I think you can still live a meaningful life under the constraints of only being able to buy two six packs at one time.

Better chains than bombs.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:40

This world is a sh*thole that we all eventually leave, with nothing to look forward but eternal darkness.  I shouldn't let the chains make me so angry, I guess, should learn to be a good little drone till the end.  Would be happier, maybe.

C'mon you don't wanna descend into techniques to avoid the topic, this thread is better than that. 
Guess, I'm a government brainwashed drone working until the end, that's why I've only worked at companies and am pursuing graduate school so I can get a higher paying job that I enjoy more. Anyway:

The reason I feel you are uptopian is while you admit all the the negatives that will come with life, you seem to believe markets are some magical entity. Like yeah there's sh*t in the world but if gov was minimal and left markets be, all will work out, it doesn't break as you say. I just think this is Utopian, even with little gov and no CB the system broke alot, sometimes seriously. 

The reason I asked if you've ever worked at a private company is because they really are inefficient nightmares, that sometimes aren't even about work...I consider myself a pretty quiet hard working guy, I don't even want to play the game of office politics and etc but you have to sometimes, not to get ahead but just...work, especially at the lower end of things I'm sure all the way up the ladder. So yeah, I accept government which can be corrupt, wasteful and inefficient but so can the private sector. I also think you're kind of Utopian because no real arguments are ever made about improving things, most libertarians refuse to moderate at all, it's all about waiting for some ideal scenario that never really existed. The joke is "oh they want to take us back to the 1880s" but we also had protectionism back then, gov building infrastructure and choosing winners, there's always patents and copyrights...not to mention back then it was local gov that was so highly corrupt...ya know exchanging votes for jobs and city bosses. So I just think mainstream libertarians tend to harbor a utopian view of things that have never really existed in reality. 

Edited by JJLehto - March 06 2015 at 11:12
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:53
Seriously, I have many objections to how the Fed has operated, and the sad state of "Keynesian Economics" and mainstream economics. I even think the role of gov is not to be active, shouldn't try to intervene at every moment and hell no the CB shouldn't be given the role of monarch as some want. In an ideal world (which is not realistic) I think there should be more rules rather than laws about policy, so we can keep bought off politicians and their BS games out of it.

Gov should be there to buffer, the free market is good and does what it does. It is competitive, sometimes it behaves irrationally, sometimes it operates not with finding the best price or product or service, but by force and fraud. And the point of gov should be: to try and crack down on fraud and ensure a true free market, and ensure some universals like decent education and healthcare, basically to ensure each individual has the freedom to maximize their happiness, in a world of other individuals. 
If these gov buffers were better designed, they could actually stabilize and strengthen the private sector you know.  

Like I said, unrestrained market capitalism led to people abandoning it entirely, along with democracy. Be it socialism, fascism or communism. Market capitalism triumphed, but learned its lesson that it needs to protect people a little bit, to save itself. The nords, Europe and US all chose different routes there's no one answer. None are socialist, not even Sweden. The other alternative is China, and we don't want that right? Well, if these decades of stagnation continue it may look more appealing, I'd rather the gov provide jobs at a decent wage to those who can't find one, spend on R&D, education and health, invest in the US and its people so we don't say "Well sh*t, China has been doing well let's just set up a politburo to guide us" And people will accept lesser degrees of freedom, if they feel they need to. This is not what I want, this is what I think can happen when hope is abandoned about our system. It's happened before. 

Edited by JJLehto - March 06 2015 at 11:15
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 12:10

Frustrating at the moment because I have good partial results in a bunch of different problems that I'm looking at, but I haven't really completed any of these open problems.

Best of luck to you. I'm struggling a but just with Calc II, despite taking it at county college this guy sure doesn't take it easy. I appreciate the rigor and the fact he actually cares if we learn, Rutgers sure didn't, but guy is brutal. That said, I can't imagine what you do in a PhDLOL Are the levels of abstraction crazy or just the problems that rigorous? Like what is it you do, compared to the normal calculus sequences us regular people take. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 13:21

Best of luck to you. I'm struggling a but just with Calc II, despite taking it at county college this guy sure doesn't take it easy. I appreciate the rigor and the fact he actually cares if we learn, Rutgers sure didn't, but guy is brutal. That said, I can't imagine what you do in a PhDLOL Are the levels of abstraction crazy or just the problems that rigorous? Like what is it you do, compared to the normal calculus sequences us regular people take. 

There's a bunch of technical reasons that Calc II is more difficult than Calc I. It essentially amounts to the fact that a derivative is manual labor and integration is a creative endeavor. So I guess I mean to say that there's a real objective reason for a struggle. There's really only 4 or 5 techniques you need to learn though, and there's always substantial clues to tell you which technique to pursue. So something will click for you eventually I'm sure.

Well, I could answer your question semi-satisfactorily, but you probably don't want to read a post of that length so I won't. If you were to peruse a paper, it would seem much more abstract to you so in some sense yes. I don't consider it anymore abstract. What happens is that as you progress it becomes necessary to be significantly more precise in your language and means of deduction. This necessity leads to the language becoming highly symbolic and technical and appearing more abstract. Really though this is just an artifact of the language in some sense as I think I could concretely explain any problem that I've worked on in ~15 minutes in very natural terms.

In terms of an actual description of what I do in terms of day to day existence, I think the first response here is the best explanation I've ever seen.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 14:29

There's a bunch of technical reasons that Calc II is more difficult than Calc I. It essentially amounts to the fact that a derivative is manual labor and integration is a creative endeavor. So I guess I mean to say that there's a real objective reason for a struggle. There's really only 4 or 5 techniques you need to learn though, and there's always substantial clues to tell you which technique to pursue. So something will click for you eventually I'm sure.

Well, I could answer your question semi-satisfactorily, but you probably don't want to read a post of that length so I won't. If you were to peruse a paper, it would seem much more abstract to you so in some sense yes. I don't consider it anymore abstract. What happens is that as you progress it becomes necessary to be significantly more precise in your language and means of deduction. This necessity leads to the language becoming highly symbolic and technical and appearing more abstract. Really though this is just an artifact of the language in some sense as I think I could concretely explain any problem that I've worked on in ~15 minutes in very natural terms.

In terms of an actual description of what I do in terms of day to day existence, I think the first response here is the best explanation I've ever seen.

That actually makes a lot of sense, you worded it better than I could've but that's pretty much what I was thinking. Since I've learned that level 5/real analysis/advanced calc is doing what you did in I just more rigorously and by writing proofs, I did wonder at the PhD level is there anything "new" or simply more of that...more concrete, rigorous and technical in depth of what you've done. Or as you said the language and reasoning becomes more rigorous is all. 

Just curious is all. I intend to stop at 4/diffe q  for both time and sanity reasons. 
To spiral back to econ I find it a little insane that top tier programs require real analysis, I have to believe this is just a "signal" to try and make some applications stand out, since 800+ superb ones are applying for 15 spots. I can't imagine how proof based math is really essential for econ, and if it is for those programs no wonder those that create our leaders and econ gurus are so out of touch. I understand the need for models. theory and even higher levels of calc but do you know, what exactly goes on with those top tier econ programs and is it realistically tied to real life anymore? Still wondering if maybe stats or something like that is more up my ally... Since clearly the programs at The Ivys, U Cal, and Chicago are out of my league so guess I'll never get any major say in econ or teach at a good level schoolLOL 

Edited by JJLehto - March 06 2015 at 14:31
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 19:06
Last flood for now,  I promise. 

Despite strong job growth, and unemployment falling to 5.5% wages are still stagnant. 

Reason being so many have left the labor force, all this job growth isn't even filling the hole left by those who left. Even if robust growth was to continue, people flocking back to work would find lots of applicants for each job, there's lots of "slack" in the market still, so much so there's 0 pressure to increase wages, plenty out there would be willing to look for any work. 

Ever since the temporary, and small, stimulus package there has been nothing...in fact gov deficits have been coming down, unemployment benefits were reduced, I find it hard to say gov has been meddling with the economy. I take this, and longer term trends, as some proof "hands off" is a poor idea. It's like leaving an engine alone, the oil has gotten old and sludgy now the engine is sputtering and weak. We need an overhaul (large gov spending) and long term...just like an engine gotta keep the oil fresh to keep it all running smooth. Instead of more welfare, or these small "stimulus" packages we need something big to get things going, and long term to keep it fresh. If not...real wages have been stagnant or declining for over a decade for most, unemployment is tending up, recoveries weaker, underemployment and part time work really shot up as has long term unemployment. I don't see how these processes are sustainable. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 03:17

C'mon you don't wanna descend into techniques to avoid the topic, this thread is better than that. 
Guess, I'm a government brainwashed drone working until the end, that's why I've only worked at companies and am pursuing graduate school so I can get a higher paying job that I enjoy more. Anyway:

The reason I feel you are uptopian is while you admit all the the negatives that will come with life, you seem to believe markets are some magical entity. Like yeah there's sh*t in the world but if gov was minimal and left markets be, all will work out, it doesn't break as you say. I just think this is Utopian, even with little gov and no CB the system broke alot, sometimes seriously. 

The reason I asked if you've ever worked at a private company is because they really are inefficient nightmares, that sometimes aren't even about work...I consider myself a pretty quiet hard working guy, I don't even want to play the game of office politics and etc but you have to sometimes, not to get ahead but just...work, especially at the lower end of things I'm sure all the way up the ladder. So yeah, I accept government which can be corrupt, wasteful and inefficient but so can the private sector. I also think you're kind of Utopian because no real arguments are ever made about improving things, most libertarians refuse to moderate at all, it's all about waiting for some ideal scenario that never really existed. The joke is "oh they want to take us back to the 1880s" but we also had protectionism back then, gov building infrastructure and choosing winners, there's always patents and copyrights...not to mention back then it was local gov that was so highly corrupt...ya know exchanging votes for jobs and city bosses. So I just think mainstream libertarians tend to harbor a utopian view of things that have never really existed in reality. 

I know that private companies here are inefficient so it's interesting to hear that said of the US too, which for those of us looking outside in is the mecca of capitalism.  I recently had the opportunity to visit the Indian countryside and through long road trips, I noticed that only govt owned banks had installed ATMs along the highways.  I am talking about Kerala which is a tourist hub so there are lots of road travellers in need of cash  and I'd have thought an ATM would at least go some way to promoting a bank's presence.  Private banks are lazy and content to bank in the metropolises. To be fair, that is actually a symptom of big government.  If our central bank handed out licences more quickly and regularly, there would be more banks and they would be forced to work harder for growth.  But that is basically the role the govt can and should play, create rules that foster competition, not restrict it.  Yeah, agreed that private companies are hardly islands of meritocracy.  And the bigger they get, the more politics-infested they are.  In fact, politicians are at least capable of temporarily and very occasionally burying political and ideological differences to act in the nation's interest.  Our politicians did that in 1991 when the country faced a BoP crisis.  But corporate fat cats won't sacrifice their ego even if the ship is sinking.  In fact they will simply jump ship and move to a competitor (and probably proceed to run it down to the ground as well).  

Edited by rogerthat - March 07 2015 at 05:24
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 03:33

Seriously, I have many objections to how the Fed has operated, and the sad state of "Keynesian Economics" and mainstream economics. I even think the role of gov is not to be active, shouldn't try to intervene at every moment and hell no the CB shouldn't be given the role of monarch as some want. In an ideal world (which is not realistic) I think there should be more rules rather than laws about policy, so we can keep bought off politicians and their BS games out of it.

Gov should be there to buffer, the free market is good and does what it does. It is competitive, sometimes it behaves irrationally, sometimes it operates not with finding the best price or product or service, but by force and fraud. And the point of gov should be: to try and crack down on fraud and ensure a true free market, and ensure some universals like decent education and healthcare, basically to ensure each individual has the freedom to maximize their happiness, in a world of other individuals. 
If these gov buffers were better designed, they could actually stabilize and strengthen the private sector you know.  

Like I said, unrestrained market capitalism led to people abandoning it entirely, along with democracy. Be it socialism, fascism or communism. Market capitalism triumphed, but learned its lesson that it needs to protect people a little bit, to save itself. The nords, Europe and US all chose different routes there's no one answer. None are socialist, not even Sweden. The other alternative is China, and we don't want that right? Well, if these decades of stagnation continue it may look more appealing, I'd rather the gov provide jobs at a decent wage to those who can't find one, spend on R&D, education and health, invest in the US and its people so we don't say "Well sh*t, China has been doing well let's just set up a politburo to guide us" And people will accept lesser degrees of freedom, if they feel they need to. This is not what I want, this is what I think can happen when hope is abandoned about our system. It's happened before. 

Well said and agree more or less entirely.  The hard truth is hope and prosperity are the insurance cover that keep democracy from failing.  And that is why it has failed in so many Asian countries.  It would have failed in India too but for the peculiar circumstances in which the nation achieved its independence as well as the passive temperament of the people who accept a lot of suffering quietly.  I remember well the number of times fund managers, 'analysts' would glibly mouth the adage "The market will take care of itself" during 2006 thereabouts when faith in neo liberal policies reached its apex.  Well, the market didn't take care of itself.  It is dishonest to turn around and argue now that state intervention distorted the market.  That is indeed what happened but the idea that was sold during the boom days was that the market would take care of itself no matter what.  If businesses truly believe so fervently in the free market, they ought to also help uphold the system by not indulging in fraud and preferring ethics to a whatever-it-takes mindset.  Fraud and the cost it ultimately imposes on the average low and middle class citizen is the biggest threat to the free market.  If Deutsche Bank were covering their risk with credit default swaps, then they knew the risk inherent in the securitised asset packages they were selling.  So they shouldn't have been selling them to their customers.  That may be driven by profit motive, but it was wrong.  And if they lose some of their god given rights for doing so, fair dinkum.

Edited by rogerthat - March 07 2015 at 05:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 285286287288289 294>