Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 289290291292293 294>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 04:09
The Mitrailleuse has published part two in their article series about the common ideological roots of the anarchist left and the libertarian right. Looks like the connection is something that US libertarians deliberately downplayed when they started networking with mainstream conservatism in the 1970s through think tanks like the Cato Institute?

Notice that the conservative and libertarian sectors of the right are in fact very different ideological traditions, which did not overlap that much until the Thatcher/Reagan era. Which is something The Mitrailleuse has pointed out earlier, since history shows that the free market has not been the friend of traditional moral values.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 11:43
Nationally televised libertarian debate moderated by John stossel to air on fox business network on April first. Could be a cruel April fools joke republicans have a sense of humor, right?
Songs are like tightly budgeted meals
Nobodies doing anything new or even real
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 12:49
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

The Mitrailleuse has published part two in their article series about the common ideological roots of the anarchist left and the libertarian right. Looks like the connection is something that US libertarians deliberately downplayed when they started networking with mainstream conservatism in the 1970s through think tanks like the Cato Institute?

Notice that the conservative and libertarian sectors of the right are in fact very different ideological traditions, which did not overlap that much until the Thatcher/Reagan era. Which is something The Mitrailleuse has pointed out earlier, since history shows that the free market has not been the friend of traditional moral values.

If you want a think tank that talks about left market anarchism specifically (although it is also interesting to most leftists I think) then check out the Center For a Stateless Society.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 16:47
Originally posted by Disparate Times Disparate Times wrote:

Nationally televised libertarian debate moderated by John stossel to air on fox business network on April first. Could be a cruel April fools joke republicans have a sense of humor, right?

There are actually Libertarian candidates...?
Since one never hears about them in the media I assumed they had all given up.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 07:44
The debate should be entertaining Gary Johnson is the front runner in a recent debate he called trump a pussy for never climbing mountains or participating in a triathlon, then there's John mcafee he thinks China and Russia will kill 90% of us through cyber warfare, also I'm 90% sure that he will be highly intoxicated for this debate. Last we have Austin Peterson, he is the only one of them that is pro life and he just turned 35. He seems to be the immature one of the three believe it or not. You didn't think that only the two major parties were offering entertainment instead of leadership did you?
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 12:45
I know Gary Johnson as well as Jill Stein are suing so they can be in the Presidential debate. Which I fully support. Our third parties need greater representation. 
If there are people, not insignificant numbers, who don't even know who Bernie Sanders is my guess is well over 80% have no idea who Gary Johnson is, or Jill stein. Very sad. 

Hope they win and can make it on the debate stage, though I'm not hopeful
Would be very fitting this time, since it's likely we get a Clinton Trump election. Many Repubs simply can't vote for the guy, and perhaps not all Bernie supporters will cave and vote Clinton either. WAY too early for this type of poll, but fun to think about none the less: 11% of Americans claim they'd back Gary Johnson in a Clinton/Trump electionShocked

Edited by JJLehto - March 25 2016 at 12:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 12:54
Yeah I'm not too sure if republicans that won't vote trump would go libertarian the whole gay marriage drug legalization doesn't sit well with conservatives. If dems were smart they would help the libertarians get to the five percent needed for major party status beginning to divide the GOP once and for all... hint hint
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 19:21
Democrats are also in danger of having votes peeled off by a libertarian candidate.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 19:49
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Democrats are also in danger of having votes peeled off by a libertarian candidate.

I think they are more in danger of having votes taken by Jill Stein, there are a decent amount of the "Bernie or bust" types that have professed a strong desire to vote Stein instead of Clinton (myself included).
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 13:09
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I think they are more in danger of having votes taken by Jill Stein, there are a decent amount of the "Bernie or bust" types that have professed a strong desire to vote Stein instead of Clinton (myself included).

Was gunna say this. 

That said, there are some Bernie supporters who claim they'll back Johnson. 

As a life long supporter of a multi party system, I'd love for both the Libertarian and Green Parties see a spike in votes. Not that the 2 party system will break apart anytime soon but I dont know...GOP seems unable to hold itself together over the mainstream/tea party split, now there's the Drumpf camp, and the Dems have their own counterinsurgency who disagrees with the party on policy and their "establishment" itself. 

4 party system, with proportional representation allowing others to have input as well?
A man can dream
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2016 at 08:59
I agree more parties are needed. The libertarian debate airs tonight I'm actually excited eventhough I'm not particularly thrilled with any of the three candidates. I think the Green Party is due for another big year, in 2000 Nader got nearly 3 million votes after that the party fell off pretty bad but with a democratic president the votes grew four years ago. I think that when a president says one thing and does another their are still people out there that say no I don't think so, since all presidents do this third parties rise and fall, most people don't think voting third party makes a difference but I say it's about the only difference the people can actually make. The libertarians hit a record high four years ago I think because of the tea party movement that republicans assumed they would just absorb as their own. They demand less government yet all the GOP talks about is rebuilding the military, seriously? I wasn't aware that it fell apart.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2016 at 22:50
I've decided I'm a libertarian :) I'm going to write a RandxRothbard slashfic now.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 15:40
Yeah, no surprise the Green Party had such success after the Clinton (aka Republican lite/Reaganomics) Presidency and drift of the party...and after the next Democratic administration also 180'd on several promises and has generally pursued the same stuff...no surprise there is yet another leftist insurgency. 

The Green Party fell off the planet because of the famous "Nader gave us Bush" line. 
I'm seeing it already now. "A vote for Stein is a vote for Trump"  how "Selfish/entitled/irresponsible of Sanders fans who say they wont vote Democrat" etc etc   

Same for the right, the libertarian party had some big success in 2012 obviously fueled by Ron Paul + anger at the GOP
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 15:47
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

The Green Party fell off the planet because of the famous "Nader gave us Bush" line. 
I'm seeing it already now. "A vote for Stein is a vote for Trump"  how "Selfish/entitled/irresponsible of Sanders fans who say they wont vote Democrat" etc etc

It's already starting up online, if it was a few election cycles ago I might find some prudence in that line of thought, but at this point I'm past trying to force change by forcing people to vote for party sanctioned politicians.
Richey Edwards View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 09:55
I thought this thread was going to be about Scotland.
Anyway, I'm Scottish and I came here to say FREEDOM!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 10:58

It's already starting up online, if it was a few election cycles ago I might find some prudence in that line of thought, but at this point I'm past trying to force change by forcing people to vote for party sanctioned politicians.

It is not a question of 'forcing'. Just a matter of perhaps getting you all to THINK before voting.

no one really likes Hillary.. I want her and that ass of hers badly LOL but sure don't have her high up on likeability but the other choice is a 100 times worse.  A democratic house divided.. is a losing house. It was in 2000 as it was for the GOP in '92.  Perhaps this year she can still win but only because most have sense enough to know that no matter what you think of Hillary and her stance on Wall Street she is not a complete lunatic or completely unsuited to be president.

Edited by micky - April 03 2016 at 10:59
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 11:20
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

It is not a question of 'forcing'. Just a matter of perhaps getting you all to THINK before voting.

no one really likes Hillary.. I want her and that ass of hers badly LOL but sure don't have her high up on likeability but the other choice is a 100 times worse.  A democratic house divided.. is a losing house. It was in 2000 as it was for the GOP in '92.  Perhaps this year she can still win but only because most have sense enough to know that no matter what you think of Hillary and her stance on Wall Street she is not a complete lunatic or completely unsuited to be president.

Force is the wrong word perhaps, but there is a strong "either us or them" message that is preached from the Democratic and Republican parties, and is enforced by mainstream media paying little to no attention to other parties.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 11:31
well.. that is exactly what it is man. It is a culture war. Us (progressives) against them (neatherthals).

in that prism of reality.. I vote as much against candidates as I ever have for any candidate. Yes it is sad.. I can't tell you how much I'd love to support a candidate. Truly like and support all they are, not just the lip service they provide.  Perhaps I'm too cynical perhaps I'm dead on 100% right but I do know which candidates do and do not stand with my believes in social matters.  I have always voted Democratic and always will.. even if I agree strongly with a lot of what Sanders says.. or Nader before him. The fact is the system is obviously geared to 2 candidates. One liberal/moderate and one increasingly right wing wacko.

Easy vote... against the right as much as for the right and yes.. a 3rd party left wing vote is as much a vote for the right as it against the mainstream left/centrist candidate. For that we were given Bush. .and 8 years of disaster and war. Smile

Edited by micky - April 03 2016 at 11:33
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 13:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Well, we all already know that.  It's the standard line and to be honest, it's getting a tad insulting to our intelligence. I already feel the Democratic Party is squandering a good opportunity to expand their base and reform their image... and the way they have generally shat on the younger folk this cycle...not doing themselves much favor. LOL

Of course Clinton is the lesser evil, she will basically maintain the status quo which is of course better than the GOP all that stuff, but at some point have to also think about: Is it worth going lesser evil? Keep holding our nose to avoid the even smellier one, when there are nice smelling alternatives? Can we risk for the THIRD time in our lifetimes a phony Democratic Presidency that either has 0 interest in the people (Clinton's) or is too timid/means well but believes the same financial/market gurus that own the Party (Obama)? 

All I know is Clinton should win the election, Bernie supporters that were already Dems will back her, those who are "new" to this were never gunna vote Dem anyway so it's no loss. Assuming Trump or Cruz get the nomination, she will win easily. The real issue is long term, like I said above the Dems continue to eat their own tail to save themselves, and benefit from the fact the GOP has slid into total insanity. We're lucky in a way those 2 are the frontrunners, against a more appealing/less insane GOPer Clinton may be weaker. 

Long story short: She is the issue, the one with the personalty/record/electability problems and if everyone plays nice and backs her, which I expect will happen, and by some chance she loses....Sanders supporters will be livid as hell LOL
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 13:19
On the issue of Wall Street its not just "I dont like that" there is very real concern about her ties.
The "too big to fail" banks are bigger. 
So when the next crisis comes, will she just bail em all out no (real) strings attached again? Will there be, yet again, 0 investigation into fraud? Hundreds of people were arrested under Reagan/Bush I for their roles in the S&L scandal. Our last one? 0  Will she actually break them up and push for hard, binding regulations? 

Given her $ ties, history, style and connections I think I know the answer. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 289290291292293 294>