Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 294>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 07:15
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Because everybody needs to eat to survive.  Most do not need to be incubated to survive.  Further, even an incubated 3-month old fetus will probably not survive.  

Yes, but an adult or even quite young child is (at least hypothetically) capable of feeding himself. An infant is not, and without active care will perish just as sure as a fetus without incubation will. I don't see a qualitative difference there.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 12:56
Left unmolested a pregnancy is a human life.  Ending it at any stage, once it's known to exist, is ending a life.

Time always wins.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 20:17
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Because everybody needs to eat to survive.    

Yeah, says you.
MortalEvil Smile

Ah abortion, now we're at some fun stuff!
Ironically still horribly torn between my gut and brain, though I lean towards the "keep it legal, safe and limited" line.
I always see it framed as legal or not...has there ever been a non governmental solution proposed??

Like marriage privatization, how about keeping abortion totally out of the hands of government? It'd be between the person(s) involved and a doctor.
Though I realize this has the issue of pleasing neither side, and my fear is still leading to the infamous back alley abortion and other ways...

It's a real sticky wicket, I never will end up with a firm decision probably
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 21:09
I was a social libertarian way before I became a kind-of economic one (I have my serious differences). I don't want my values or morals to be forcibly imposed on others. Having said that, what is the justification for wanting freer and freer abortion? I understand concerns like rape and health and etc; I understand unwanted pregnancies that could bring more misery than happiness (I have said that I wouldn't consider it impossible myself as an extreme and early option, though as time passes I grow much colder towards that idea since I think I'm readier for being a parent); but other than that, the constant urge to have almost absolute free, all-cases abortion, the push to make it as easy and free of restriction as possible, what's the justification? Isn't it just people wanting to be able to f**k without consequences?
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 21:25
^
I don't think that's a fair representation of the reality of abortion. Why does it so often turn into the exceptions to the rules becoming the reason for defining opposition? What you're saying about being "able to f**k without consequences" is not part of any of the overarching arguments for maintaining abortion and reproductive rights. It's like saying the angry old people were completely correct in what they were yelling at John McCain the other day about wanting to shoot the "illegals" and taking away all their welfare so they'll go home. Their arguments aren't based on the greater reality of the situation. They made McCain actually look like a sane and reasonable person by attacking the exceptions to the rule, and their own fantasies of who they believe is taking something from them.

Who is actually arguing for "freer and freer abortion?" As far as I can tell, the arguments to retain abortion and reproductive rights intact are coming from people who oppose those attempting to remove those rights entirely. There's a big difference in having access to the option at all, as we do now, and the "let's just f**k and suck those little monsters out, then do it again" kind of misrepresentation you're talking about.

Edited by *frinspar* - February 23 2013 at 21:26
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 22:21
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

IWho is actually arguing for "freer and freer abortion?" As far as I can tell, the arguments to retain abortion and reproductive rights intact are coming from people who oppose those attempting to remove those rights entirely. There's a big difference in having access to the option at all, as we do now, and the "let's just f**k and suck those little monsters out, then do it again" kind of misrepresentation you're talking about.

Who? The entire American left, that's who. Almost every Republican who has proposed restricting abortion allows exceptions for rape, incest and the life of the mother, but any suggestion of the slightest restrictions kicks up screaming and hollering from the other side. Then there is the whole hoopla about partial birth abortions. I don't care who you are and what your beliefs are, I can't imagine any justification for partial birth abortions. Is it really so onerous to ask that mothers decide whether or not to abort in the first six months of pregnancy?

The left won't use the term "pro-abortion," but anyone who thinks they are not is fooling themselves. They positively celebrate the act, and want it as a comparable alternative to condoms and birth control pills.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 04:45
Wow. I really should avoid this thread from here on out if such distortions of truth and abuse of honesty are going to be argued as reality.
Sorry, but you're flat-out wrong. And I don't feel I need to be bothered to justify my words if this is the starting point of the discussion here.
Short memories being what they are these days, though, I feel compelled to remind you that the last republican candidate for Vice President vocally supported all of the things you say he hasn't. My head can barely stop spinning, especially since he still supports those same positions.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 05:45

Wow. I really should avoid this thread from here on out if such distortions of truth and abuse of honesty are going to be argued as reality.
Sorry, but you're flat-out wrong. And I don't feel I need to be bothered to justify my words if this is the starting point of the discussion here.
Short memories being what they are these days, though, I feel compelled to remind you that the last republican candidate for Vice President vocally supported all of the things you say he hasn't. My head can barely stop spinning, especially since he still supports those same positions.

I'm not sure which part of what I said you're disputing. That there has been heated opposition to partial birth abortion bans? Link

That most Republicans favor exceptions to abortion bans? Link

I never made any claims about Paul Ryan, so I'm not sure why you brought him up.

That the far left celebrates abortion rather than viewing it as a necessary evil? Link

Sanctimonious high-horsery is not a substitute for debate.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 06:32
Do anti-abortion guys allow abortion on non-human animals? 

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 07:04
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

That the far left celebrates abortion rather than viewing it as a necessary evil? Link

What a horrid woman.

However, there is no need to suggest that abortion be rare. To say so implies a value judgement, promoting the idea that abortion is somehow distasteful or immoral and should be avoided.

We are not just implying it- we are outright saying it.

Seriously, read that woman's article.  Most of the reasons she promotes for abortion can be applied to killing a child after birth for many months to come.

No woman benefits from even the vaguest insinuation that abortion is an immoral or objectionable option. That’s the weak argument made by misogynistic, forced-birth advocates, and it has no place in a dialogue about reproductive freedom.

What about the child?  Does the newer life benefit?  If being anti-abortion is the same as being anti-woman, then being pro-abortion is the same as being anti-child.

Abortion is our last refuge, the one final, definitive instrument that secures our bodily autonomy.

Jesus.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 07:06
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I'm not sure which part of what I said you're disputing. That there has been heated opposition to partial birth abortion bans? Link

That most Republicans favor exceptions to abortion bans? Link

I never made any claims about Paul Ryan, so I'm not sure why you brought him up.

Sanctimonious high-horsery is not a substitute for debate.

I do notice that you now slip in the word 'far' into your post where as you insinuated before that the whole of the left.....

'The left won't use the term "pro-abortion," but anyone who thinks they are not is fooling themselves. They positively celebrate the act, and want it as a comparable alternative to condoms and birth control pills.'

Edited by akamaisondufromage - February 24 2013 at 07:08
Help me I'm falling!
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 07:22
If I may pipe in just to confirm what some people have said, I am a leftist and we indeed do celebrate abortions here on the far left. The early Soviet Union back when it was temporarily progressive (for five minutes) was the first country to legalize abortion and women's voting. Its not that we think abortion itself is great, but we see it as liberating women and families from the burdens of raising children in unfavorable circumstances. I don't think leftists follow the line of thinking that a fetus is automatically a person. Instead they would probably say its just a fetus and could become a person under certain conditions which are the mother's decision.

Hope that was helpful,
Roy

Edited by RoyFairbank - February 24 2013 at 07:22
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 10:59
IDK how many leftists celebrate it...at least openly.
Usually it's a necessary evil thing, OR the "it will happen regardless" line...which is true. Much as people may find it utterly wrong, there is the "can you legislate morality" thing, even if you believe fully its murder, people clearly choose to do it anyway and can you stop that?
I never did get a definitive answer as to how it would be policed.

Besides the act itself, I always wondered about punishment. It never gets brought up...but if abortion was made illegal, there would have to be punishment correct? What would it be? Now I know most here oppose the death penalty...but many in the US don't and if abortion is murder wouldn't the penalty have to be death?

Are there teens that just have sex knowing "hey I can just get an abortion" sure..but can't say this is 100% the case.
Just as much as many pro-lifers support and are quick to use the death penalty, support imperialist foreign policy, and tend to disregard the environment, with all its life.

And I don't feel I need to be bothered to justify my words if this is the starting point of the discussion here.

Not to be a dick but that's total bullsh*t, and lazy. Pop in, say something and leave? No need to justify your words?
You are right then, you don't belong here. You can disagree vehemently but there is always debate, if you wanna take the easy road and just say something and leave then you're more in the wrong. The mentality is one of the things wrong with this country.

Keep it legal, safe and limited I say. That last part is important, make sure the education and resources are there, especially where it may be needed most.

Edited by JJLehto - February 24 2013 at 11:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 14:51
^
I agree with your last remarks.

The posts I responded to were both based on straw men. There's no point in arguing or feeling the need to invest myself much more when the argument is already dishonest. I was just pointing that out.

The T was arguing against some imaginary mass of people who want to "f**k without consequences" as if they are the norm. And The Llama seems to feel that "the entire American left" and "the far left" are the exact same thing when he further tried to support his point. How can those kinds of remarks be taken seriously enough to accept as legitimate grounds for continued discussion?

As far as lazy goes, it's more that I'm jaded. I've heard it all already, I was just kinda hoping I'd read something different here. It is my fault for chiming in, I should know what to expect from the internet at-large by now. I'll stick to the important stuff around here from now on, like music, movies and TV. :)
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 16:14
^And of course you ignored 90% of my post to focus only on the last sentence. I was just posing a question. What is the justification for some people (I'll correct myself) wanting freer and freer abortion? Agree with it or not, I see the justification those who want to restrict or even stop abortion have (saving a life - if it is worth saving or if it is "life" or whatever is another matter). For those in the unrestricted abortion camp, what moves them? As I said, I concede the need for some forms of abortion, even some that don't need peril or rape. I have ways said that. But when I see a ban on abortions after the third month called extreme, I wonder what isn't considered extreme then.

I favor the legality of abortion. But not turning it into just another "alternative". It makes it look like just another act in life. That's why I said what I said.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 18:37

^

The posts I responded to were both based on straw men. There's no point in arguing or feeling the need to invest myself much more when the argument is already dishonest. I was just pointing that out.

The T was arguing against some imaginary mass of people who want to "f**k without consequences" as if they are the norm. And The Llama seems to feel that "the entire American left" and "the far left" are the exact same thing when he further tried to support his point. How can those kinds of remarks be taken seriously enough to accept as legitimate grounds for continued discussion?

As far as lazy goes, it's more that I'm jaded. I've heard it all already, I was just kinda hoping I'd read something different here. It is my fault for chiming in, I should know what to expect from the internet at-large by now. I'll stick to the important stuff around here from now on, like music, movies and TV. :)

Exaggeration and hyperbole are common rhetorical devices. I admit freely that I could have chosen my words more carefully, but I think the point I was making was clear. If you were interested in contributing to the discussion, you could have called me out on my exaggerations without your little holier-than-thou storm out speech.

Edited by thellama73 - February 24 2013 at 18:38
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 18:58
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 19:05

^

As far as lazy goes, it's more that I'm jaded. I've heard it all already, I was just kinda hoping I'd read something different here.

Eh...the "how the internet works" thing is quite a straw man itself, the debates here are good. Surely better than anything else on PA.
You are right but the thing is....the abortion debate ironically is the worst one. It's ALWAYS straw men...
The few times you dig through it and get to the core it always boils down to: it's a life, period. It's a right, period.  No one ever wavers either. In terms of debate its never good and I usually don't participate because it's people spinning the same points. Never expect anything different.

Which is why in theory I'd like to see abortion out of all government hands, purely a personal decision between the woman/whoever else is involved and the doctor. In reality though this would upset all, since its either a way to "deny the right", or a way to "keep it legal", depending on which side you fall.

Edited by JJLehto - February 24 2013 at 19:10
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 19:06
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

And speaking of straw men...
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 07:25
A straw man argument has to actually say something. It can't just be a string of words void of any interpretation. I don't even know what to call that kind of post. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 294>