FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 268269270271272 294>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 08:46
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

It's been a while since I asked a question. . I was going to use another nation as the hypothetical case but let's bring it closer. Let's suppose one day finally government is reduced to almost zero (or zero depending on your flavor of libertarianism). Liberty reigns supreme. No central organization has force over nobody.... And after a while, let's suppose that this generates really abject poverty, horrendous inequality, and that, proving those who oppose libertarianism correct, only a few extremy wealthy powerful barons have control over the rest of the people, force them to work for miserable wages with no benefits, while they accumulate all the power of wealth. All without infringing the non aggression principle. Would then be acceptable to start proposing equalizing measures? Would that be a time where it would be justified to ask for the "return of the state"? Would then be justifiable to take from the "makers"? Or should liberty reign supreme even if most everybody is starving? How supreme can this principle be?

All of this hypothetical.
Anyone who has ever watched Revolution the tv series will see what happens after a collapse or a non existant government. You end up with regional overlords/despots who are worse than the govt one had before.
There is nothing...nothing to keep these despots in check and the notion that some inner moral thread will correct things is simply foolish since humans are basically a nasty lot when left unregulated.
The idea of true Libertarianism and social anarchist systems is just that ...an idea.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 09:02
Though there are points there I would agree with, I wouldn't take much in life and politics and really any lesson from a TV series. Wink. I would love the deep libertarians to answer my question. 

Edited by The T - January 24 2014 at 09:02
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 10:09
I just did.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 10:21
^And I did read your great response and I'm just waiting for a few of the other libertarians. My answer to Dr wu23 was specifically directed to his response and implying that that's not the type of answer I'm looking from but one coming from libertarians, like yours. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 10:25
My bad, I thought you had missed it seeing as it was the last one on a previous page.  
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 12:04
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I'm not sure that you can say it's meaningless (whatever meaning means to connote here). I could see viewing it as arbitrary, but really any ethical system you have will be just as arbitrary so basing your legal philosophy on an ethical one only pushes the problem back one stage. Rather than basing laws on ethics I think most people agree on settling for having laws be ethical without the converse needing to hold.

There's plenty of Christrian libertarians who as a result of their religion don't take the NAP as the foundation of their ethical system. You have the objectivists. Most people in this thread would probably fall into that category. I have the idea of very many positive obligations being built into my personal view of morality which puts it at odds with NAP.

I don't think an ethical system would be arbitrary, messy, maybe, and blurred and somewhat vague and all that, but not arbitrary by any means.  I see what you mean but I still think that if you don't have an ethical foundation for law then law is rather groundless and susceptible to corruption or collapse.

Q: What is your basis for the ethics that ground the law?
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 12:06

It's been a while since I asked a question. . I was going to use another nation as the hypothetical case but let's bring it closer. Let's suppose one day finally government is reduced to almost zero (or zero depending on your flavor of libertarianism). Liberty reigns supreme. No central organization has force over nobody.... And after a while, let's suppose that this generates really abject poverty, horrendous inequality, and that, proving those who oppose libertarianism correct, only a few extremy wealthy powerful barons have control over the rest of the people, force them to work for miserable wages with no benefits, while they accumulate all the power of wealth. All without infringing the non aggression principle. Would then be acceptable to start proposing equalizing measures? Would that be a time where it would be justified to ask for the "return of the state"? Would then be justifiable to take from the "makers"? Or should liberty reign supreme even if most everybody is starving? How supreme can this principle be?

All of this hypothetical.

1) The situation you describe does not negate libertarian theory. Isolated instances will not do that. A lot of factors could contribute.

2) With that said, it could be the case that a libertarian society cannot work for this landmass at this time. I would have no problem with attempting to fix what seems like a horrific situation.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 15:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

humans are basically a nasty lot when left unregulated.

This is said a lot, but it has never actually been shown.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 15:33

If by unregulated he means "total absence of laws and limitations", I'd say yes.

If he mean "absence of a government", that is more debatable. 

The question is if it is really possible to have a complete (not just in specific cases) system of private laws without some sort of supra organizational body overseeing this. 

As far as human nature itself, nobody can really say if humans "are born good" or "naturally evil" or "neutral" (that also depends on your definition of those terms). But even if you accept that all humans are born good or neutral, society is not made of just toddlers but people who have grown up and experienced millions of different conditions and environments leading to complexes and character traits that in many many cases are negative in their nature and dangerous/detrimental (in many different levels and degrees) to others.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 15:39

I'm not sure that you can say it's meaningless (whatever meaning means to connote here). I could see viewing it as arbitrary, but really any ethical system you have will be just as arbitrary so basing your legal philosophy on an ethical one only pushes the problem back one stage. Rather than basing laws on ethics I think most people agree on settling for having laws be ethical without the converse needing to hold.

There's plenty of Christrian libertarians who as a result of their religion don't take the NAP as the foundation of their ethical system. You have the objectivists. Most people in this thread would probably fall into that category. I have the idea of very many positive obligations being built into my personal view of morality which puts it at odds with NAP.

I don't think an ethical system would be arbitrary, messy, maybe, and blurred and somewhat vague and all that, but not arbitrary by any means.  I see what you mean but I still think that if you don't have an ethical foundation for law then law is rather groundless and susceptible to corruption or collapse.

Loyalty-based situational ethics.  Essentially that the right thing to do in any situation depends upon a myriad of competing loyalties that have a claim on the individual.  A legal system could theoretically be based on this; it would have to be radically simplified but wouldn't be arbitrary.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 15:49

If by unregulated he means "total absence of laws and limitations", I'd say yes.

The question is if it is really possible to have a complete (not just in specific cases) system of private laws without some sort of supra organizational body overseeing this. 

As far as human nature itself, nobody can really say if humans "are born good" or "naturally evil" or "neutral" (that also depends on your definition of those terms). But even if you accept that all humans are born good or neutral, society is not made of just toddlers but people who have grown up and experienced millions of different conditions and environments leading to complexes and character traits that in many many cases are negative in their nature and dangerous/detrimental (in many different levels and degrees) to others.

Can you point me to the study?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 15:50

Loyalty-based situational ethics.  Essentially that the right thing to do in any situation depends upon a myriad of competing loyalties that have a claim on the individual.  A legal system could theoretically be based on this; it would have to be radically simplified but wouldn't be arbitrary.

And that is based upon? I fail to see why this foundation is any more agreeable than erecting a structure with the law as your base.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 16:10

Can you point me to the study?
Regardless of what history says, no, I can't. Just as you can't point me to one proving the contrary. Hence my it's all purely hypothetical claim. Tongue

A study on the subject is also quite difficult to conduct though...

Edited by The T - January 24 2014 at 16:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 19:51
My claim would be that there is no human nature. I don't think that needs any evidence to support it. But I could offer loads of studies which reach seemingly conflicting conclusions when we try to suppose the existence of a human nature which they are supposed to be observing. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 20:04
^And I agree with that. I don't humans are good or bad or whatever. They just are. Studies are conflicting but they also have shown what humans are capable of (like the Milgram one) and we can agree that since all humans are somewhat different (I don't believe we are all that different), and many end up full of traits and characteristics that align with what simplistically we can call "bad", the lack of regulation (again, not intended as government regulation) can lead to abuse, chaos, those with specific traits taking advantage of those who are not expecting those behaviors, etc. And since spontaneous order I feel is difficult to establish under normal conditions, a governing body has to take care of that. The nature of that body is to be defined. I feel that having multiple bodies representing multiple interests only can lead to a reproduction of the same phenomenon. That's why I favor one single body that in theory at least can represent all. In theory.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 20:54

And that is based upon? I fail to see why this foundation is any more agreeable than erecting a structure with the law as your base.

Sorry, I misunderstood the question.  For my purposes, it's based partially upon my religious beliefs and partially about observation of human nature and how we actually make ethical decisions.  Of course, with a legal system in mind you couldn't really build religious obligations into it if you want to maintain freedom of religion.

I do get what you're saying, since I understand that it's impossible to get everyone to agree on ethics and thus also impossible to develop a legal system based on ethical principles which everyone can affirm, whereas most people can agree that murder and stealing are wrong regardless of their broader moral principles.

If we're talking about a hypothetical stateless society, though, the idea of founding the law on ethical systems becomes a little more feasible because any voluntarily organized community could have their own system of law.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 21:00

^And I agree with that. I don't humans are good or bad or whatever. They just are. Studies are conflicting but they also have shown what humans are capable of (like the Milgram one) and we can agree that since all humans are somewhat different (I don't believe we are all that different), and many end up full of traits and characteristics that align with what simplistically we can call "bad", the lack of regulation (again, not intended as government regulation) can lead to abuse, chaos, those with specific traits taking advantage of those who are not expecting those behaviors, etc. And since spontaneous order I feel is difficult to establish under normal conditions, a governing body has to take care of that. The nature of that body is to be defined. I feel that having multiple bodies representing multiple interests only can lead to a reproduction of the same phenomenon. That's why I favor one single body that in theory at least can represent all. In theory.

Well, what we have right now (thinking globally) is multiple governing bodies with different interests.  And despite efforts to establish global cooperation, we still have wars and rivalries and corruption and whatnot.  The anarchist argument is not that these things would disappear in lieu of the dissolution of the state but that they would: 1. Become partially obsolete due to the absence of the coercive element of state control, the freedom to align oneself with whatever group one sees fit, and the quasi-capitalist incentive of competing entities to attract instead of repelling people, and  2. Happen on a smaller scale and be less destructive due to decentralization.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 23:05

Though there are points there I would agree with, I wouldn't take much in life and politics and really any lesson from a TV series. Wink. I would love the deep libertarians to answer my question. 
I think  those who write for tv or film drama understand politics or social conditions as well as anyone out there, but what exactly is a 'deep libertarian'...?
Look....the bottom line is that any type of real libertarianism is a pipe dream. Ain't never gonna happen because The Powers That Be like things the way they are....period.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 23:07

Are you kidding.....?
Confused
Haquin
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 23:11

Are you kidding.....?
Confused

We all know about Somalia.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 268269270271272 294>