Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 275276277278279 294>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 22:35
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

To be fair, at least I personally, have gotten bored with non econ talk because we all largely agree
There is the occasional debate but really, liberals and libertarians basically agree on social issues, and foreign policy. And since no one on PA is conservative or willing to admit it LOL we always end up back at econ

- I believe Jody (Progtologist) is conservative and is more than willing to admit it, he's just man enough not to have to.

EDIT: Exception for guns.

- And abortion, though maybe less clearcut.

Sheesh, we all know the cliche of progheads being a bit too serious...I thought the laughy faces were supposed to indicate joke. 
Don't usually see you around, so thanks for popping in solely to try and make an ass of me Tongue

That point is a fair one, abortion can indeed be a point of contention between liberals and libertarians. I believe most in this thread take the "pro life" side (ugh I really hate using these terms) but I have known libertarians to take both positions... that is a good debate point. 
Ironically though I hate the abortion debate and rarely partake! So yall can have at it, I'll bow out. 

I suppose there are other points we're likely to disagree on...like environment. But even that one ends up quickly devolving into BS I've noticed. Pretty much Econ is what interests me mostEmbarrassed

Here's something in video form so MoM should be able to handle itWink
If that is too long/detailed here's a super condensed version
L Randall Wray is the man! Love this guy and his work, shame they are shunned and relegated to the internet and a few universities...despite a large body of evidence supporting their ideas, they don't use the mainstream models and talk about people from long ago so they are deemed crazy. I hope there's also not an ideological bias, but I have read disturbing things about the elite econ institutions and journals becoming cult like

Edited by JJLehto - March 27 2014 at 22:52
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 22:53
Wasn't trying to make an ass of you at all, just pointing it out
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 23:05

To be fair, at least I personally, have gotten bored with non econ talk because we all largely agree
There is the occasional debate but really, liberals and libertarians basically agree on social issues, and foreign policy. And since no one on PA is conservative or willing to admit it LOL we always end up back at econ   - I believe Jody (Progtologist) is conservative and is more than willing to admit it, he's just man enough not to have to.
EDIT: Exception for guns.    - And abortion, though maybe less clearcut.

Sheesh, we all know the cliche of progheads being a bit too serious...I thought the laughy faces were supposed to indicate joke. 
Don't usually see you around, so thanks for popping in solely to try and make an ass of me Tongue
That point is a fair one, abortion can indeed be a point of contention between liberals and libertarians. I believe most in this thread take the "pro life" side (ugh I really hate using these terms) but I have known libertarians to take both positions... that is a good debate point. 
Ironically though I hate the abortion debate and rarely partake! So yall can have at it, I'll bow out. 
I suppose there are other points we're likely to disagree on...like environment. But even that one ends up quickly devolving into BS I've noticed. Pretty much Econ is what interests me mostEmbarrassed
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Here's something in video form so MoM should be able to handle itWink</span>
L Randall Wray is the man! Love this guy and his work, shame they are shunned and relegated to the internet and a few universities...despite a large body of evidence supporting their ideas, they don't use the mainstream models and talk about people from long ago so they are deemed crazy. I hope there's also not an ideological bias, but I have read disturbing things about the elite econ institutions and journals becoming cult like

Awwww JJLehto, I too did not intend to offend anyone, infact I think communication is key, this is the best way to convince others of our beliefs really, or the contrary as in us to change our beliefs :) Abortion debate is very sensitive I know even I tend to change when it comes to the actual fetus grown terms, all very complicated sadly but necessary to discuss or debate tho' don't you think?
As Atavachron said we are not taking to micky on anyone nor making anyone to look like an ass although I am sure you have a very nice ass       

Edited by Kati - March 27 2014 at 23:06
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 23:10
Never fear, hard to really offend me (or even make me angry) certainly over the internet. 
I've not been active in recent years so ya may not know me well but I wouldn't put toooo much stock in what I say when I get silly like that. I'm a bit of a prog a****le myself!

I really do ask for all, but especially MoM, to watch those videos. 
The 20 minute one, if you hang around long enough...one will see how I actually agree that Keynesian economics has failed and is not effective. I won't give it away now, you gotta do some workTongue
I'd also post the paper on how the "War on Poverty" has been pretty dismal, and this Minsky guy said it would be all the way back in the 60s but I know how long, academic papers don't fly well here....

Edited by JJLehto - March 27 2014 at 23:12
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 23:17

Never fear, hard to really offend me (or even make me angry) certainly over the internet. 
I've not been active in recent years so ya may not know me well but I wouldn't put toooo much stock in what I say when I get silly like that. I'm a bit of a prog a****le myself!
The 20 minute one, if you hang around long enough...one will see how I actually agree that Keynesian economics has failed and is not effective. I won't give it away now, you gotta do some workTongue
I'd also post the paper on how the "War on Poverty" has been pretty dismal, and this Minsky guy said it would be all the way back in the 60s but I know how long, academic papers don't fly well here....

hahahaha you pest lolol you are so good! I love that word Keynesian lolol I promise you my views are not erratic nor short living, but love what you said, that word is rare and used in economics rarely :) ha! love it!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 23:40

The 20 minute one, if you hang around long enough...one will see how I actually agree that Keynesian economics has failed and is notession while some effective. I won't give it away now, you gotta do some workTongue

Unusual topics and certainly words which seem rare peak my interest, however silly satirical comments certainly peak my interest/curiosity which are great fun to me People's interest and discussions do peak my interest obviously. However in terms of their academic degree, one honestly cannot judge people but what they studied considering some only felt compelled to go into that profession while hating what they do, I much rather listen to people's interests, this being their profession or not.

Edited by Kati - March 27 2014 at 23:45
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 00:03
JJLehto, honestly speaking, one has to be most convincing for me to make me watch a 20min vid, unless it's about David Bowie aka The Sexiest Man alive however I doubt there is much more I have not seen from him
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 00:36
JJLehto
Unless your input now might change, to be honest you sound a bit narcissistic I apologize in advance but this is how you seem to come through right now to me.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 07:08
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

JJLehto
Unless your input now might change, to be honest you sound a bit narcissistic  

I have said this many times actually!
Besides the fact this is accurate, like I said feel free to say it and hell you don't even have to hold back...again it's not gunna be taken personally or upset me. 

That was mainly for MoM I guess, he's had comments/questions in the past many of which I think are dealt with in that video. He has admitted he doesn't enjoy reading, nor does he like the academic thing so a video of some guy talking is best I can do. 

Edited by JJLehto - March 28 2014 at 07:14
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 08:17
As Brian said, libertarians and liberals mostly agree on foreign issues (I support isolationism), social issues, but they differ in economic issues and these ones affect social outcomes to large degree. Support to universal healthcare and worker's rights, like I do, is incompatible with most hardcore libertarians. 

Abortion and guns, other two clashes. Personally, pro-choice, pro-gun-regulation. Anti-NRA for sure. 

And yes that means I could never be a Republican. Curiously, many prominent libertarians are Republicans, even when they only agree superficially on economics (I guess religion binds them together too). 

Edited by The T - March 28 2014 at 08:18
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 13:26
Yup. Abortion, guns and healthcare are really the biggies. 
On that first note, I'll take the Ron Paul stance. I'm non interventionist (pretty hardcore) but I am not an isolationist. 

Eh, I know I went over this with DTGuitarfan and others who made the whole GOP = libertarian thing, I think you have it the other way around. Republicans claim libertarianism, but I think libertarians really dont like the GOP, but suck it up like many progressives suck it up and support the Dems. I do think the GOP really just uses it. It seemed pretty obvious they weren't dedicated to those beliefs, and when the party started splitting...they basically tossed away the libertarian movement. 

I mean, not one cared a lick about those Wubya deficits, which included a stimulus package (!!??) it was just when big O got elected they suddenly started demanding every penny be paid for. Which is a shame since closing the budget in bad times is a horrible idea...basically party politics has f**ked us over, but no shocker there LOLCry
Want a real twist? I used to hate Wubya and the GOP for their "reckless spending" and wanted that good ol balanced budget...NOW I don't like the idea of trying to balance the budget and see the Wubya deficits were necessary! Gotta love how data and research can change a mind! 

Granted, I don't think Wubya spending was done well...it was mainly military spending and tax cuts for the high earners, but at least he didn't cut any government. Holy hell, GWB is now a liberal in the Republican Party. I need drugs to handle thisSmoke  legalize it! 

Edited by JJLehto - March 28 2014 at 13:28
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 16:36

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

JJLehto
Unless your input now might change, to be honest you sound a bit narcissistic  

I have said this many times actually!
Besides the fact this is accurate, like I said feel free to say it and hell you don't even have to hold back...again it's not gunna be taken personally or upset me. 
That was mainly for MoM I guess, he's had comments/questions in the past many of which I think are dealt with in that video. He has admitted he doesn't enjoy reading, nor does he like the academic thing so a video of some guy talking is best I can do. 

JJLehto, I honestly looking at your fluffy profile pic I cannot but really like you lol

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 18:15

There is the occasional debate but really, liberals and libertarians basically agree on social issues, and foreign policy. And since no one on PA is conservative or willing to admit it LOL we always end up back at econ

- I believe Jody (Progtologist) is conservative and is more than willing to admit it, he's just man enough not to have to.

EDIT: Exception for guns.

- And abortion, though maybe less clearcut.

Here's something in video form so MoM should be able to handle itWink

I was hopeful at a quick glance of his wiki, but that's sort of waning. I haven't watched the long one yet though.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 23:54
Hopeful? You really are moderating! :O 
Maybe some of his banking ideas and etc could intrigue you but I doubt yall would find much to agree on.  I still have to try!

The wiki is new actually, there wasn't one up a few months ago, nor was there for a lot of those people I cite, or even their school of thought. I assume they created it all themselvesLOL
Seriously, a lot of his/their ideas I find common sense, rational and explanatory (unlike much in econ) and if we get pas ideology, I don't see anything they advocate as that radical. 

I have to admit, I don't like how blatantly "liberal" their blog is, and it can be quite hyperbolic. The 1% bashing does get on my nerves. But yeah, Wray, Steve Keen, Warren Mosler, a few others. VERY intriguing ideas, albeit some are out there. I'm not sure I stand by their permanent zero interest rate idea (literally keep zero fed rate forever), especially since they want to greatly boost demand/employment. Seems a bit dangerous!

Edited by JJLehto - March 29 2014 at 23:55
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 23:57
I have decided to grow a real beard, so maybe soon I can become as fluffy and epic as my profile pic. 
Also, gotta be real with ourselves. I'm a pretty big narcissus, though I'm also shy and often nervous with people. Love public speaking though. I'm as messy as my posts. 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 01:33

I have decided to grow a real beard, so maybe soon I can become as fluffy and epic as my profile pic. 
Also, gotta be real with ourselves. I'm a pretty big narcissus, though I'm also shy and often nervous with people. Love public speaking though. I'm as messy as my posts. 
hahaha JJLetho, Fluffiness no need to grow a beard, just as an example women can be cuddly too, but now imagine them with a beard Unhappy fluffiness somehow with that does not come to mind, neither do men with beards, pulling of a beard is very hard unless you look like George Clooney but then again he doesn't look as good with a beard Unhappy
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 19:35

Semi related: I need to look into it, but sounds like the Supreme Court has removed limits on private money donations to political campaigns? Or something along those lines. Basically, seems like the US is continuing to be sold off to the rich and corporations. 

Sorry, I don't hate either of those...but I do kind of hate how they are basically being given the keys to the kingdom, and democracy is going to soon be a memory. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 08:10
I don't hate but I don't revere them either as "makers" or any other stupid name they have been given. And yes, they basically will be able to own the government now. Thanks to the Supreme Court, guarantor of people's rights and freedoms. 

Rich people, that is. 

And they will find some justification in the centuries old stupid book called the constitution. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 09:13
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I don't hate but I don't revere them either as "makers" or any other stupid name they have been given. And yes, they basically will be able to own the government now. Thanks to the Supreme Court, guarantor of people's rights and freedoms. 

Rich people, that is. 

And they will find some justification in the centuries old stupid book called the constitution. 
That about sums it up.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:42
Did you all hear or read about the GM recall? How they knew about this problem for about 10 years and didn't do anything because it would've cost them about a dollar per vehicle? Not just a minor corporation but one that was the largest in the world just a few years ago. Incapable of "self-regulating" or acting with the consumer's best interests in mind, prior to it being saved by taxpayers. This case among many others speak a little ill of corporations doing the right thing thanks to market considerations and not to regulations. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 275276277278279 294>