Topic ClosedProg Definition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 19:14
There's a slight possibility that you haven't read this yet:
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp#definition
Always thinking in extremes.That's my way to beat boredom.
javier0889 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 19:34
I still think it's beautiful music played by ugly people with too much hair (and sometimes not where it's supposed to be).
http://www.last.fm/user/javier0889
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 22:12
^So in other words, it's just like classical music (although most of the hair was really wigs).
Someone should start a prog band where all the members wear powdered wigs LOL
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 01:21
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

What if I ask in 7/4? ;-)
Even if you come back on July 4th, it is not a good thing.  (That would be April 7th for those on the other side of the ocean who list their dates funny.)   Although I suppose us Americans may be the only ones who list July 4th as 7/4.

Excuse me, but I'm pretty sure that listing the date in the very logical way of day-month-year, is a bit more logical than month-day-year. Along with the mile, Farenheit, Gallon, Blablubla, I think the rest of the world wins this one.
There be dragons
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 01:28
^ funny stuff
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 02:19
Astronomy Domine is in 12/8, a stellar date for Capt. Kirk.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 03:46
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Even if you come back on July 4th, it is not a good thing.  (That would be April 7th for those on the other side of the ocean who list their dates funny.)   Although I suppose us Americans may be the only ones who list July 4th as 7/4.

Excuse me, but I'm pretty sure that listing the date in the very logical way of day-month-year, is a bit more logical than month-day-year. Along with the mile, Farenheit, Gallon, Blablubla, I think the rest of the world wins this one.

This guy is right and I'm with him. May the meter and the kilogramm be the universal measures!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 03:53
Its all very easy really Prog is not rocket science:

Progressive Rock What the heck is it???

Progressive Rock is an attempt to musically orgasm as many times as possible during a 15-minute song.

Just The Facts

1. Progressive rock is categorized by a sacking of traditional song structure, complex rhythms, odd time signatures and a sense of inherent superiority over other rock genres
  2. Because of this, it's pretty much never been popular
  3. It is the only rock genre in which the term "flute solo" has any meaning

Everything You Need to Know About Progressive Rock

There is no clear definition of progressive rock, as it is not bounded by convention, structure, tradition or common sense. Progressive rock is like the anti-socialite of music; there are no rules or restrictions.

However, progressive rock bands have typically featured:

• Extremely skilled guitarists, drummers, bassists and keyboardists
  • Okay singers
  • Huge egos
  • Tons of drugspiration
  • No sense of when to stop a song

A typical prog band.

Basically, progressive rock is anything-goes rock music. If you feel like adding a 30-second audio clip of some farm animals orgasming in the middle of your song, that's a-ok by progressive standards. Hell, it's even encouraged. Literally anything you can record a sound of is welcome in progressive rock.

Except autotune.

Photobucket

Read more: Progressive Rock | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/funny-2359-progressive-rock/#ixzz1oW9T974Z

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 08 2012 at 03:55
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 04:11
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

This guy is right and I'm with him. May the meter and the kilogramm be the universal measures!
What a waste of human creativity and intellegence - measument should be in whatever units are readily to hand when things need measuring - I seldom carry around a standard metre or a balance and a set of weights - length is measured in cigarette packets and weight in Mars Bars (also can be used for lenght, volume and monetary value).
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 04:12
Had to delete cuz Dean's post got in the way.Cry

Edited by Snow Dog - March 08 2012 at 04:37
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 04:35
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Then you will start a discussion about how some players, notably Nick Mason, are incapable of playing in such a time.

But isn't Money in 7/4?

^^^^ Take note, dtguitarfan, this is what you call 'prog pedancy'

As for my definition of prog. Mental.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
progprogprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 06:30
Epic post Scott Clap
Always thinking in extremes.That's my way to beat boredom.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 06:38
Originally posted by progprogprog progprogprog wrote:

Epic post Scott Clap
No, that's not epic, that's cut and paste. Wink
What?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 07:14
i didn't even know progrock existed before i happened across this site back in 2004. I had just bought my first computer and wanted to see if I could find anything about Hungarian nband Omegs.  I said to myself  " so that's what I've been listening to all these years " . 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 07:14
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

For what it is worth, I regard it as a form of music that grew out of the late 1960's in Britain (mainly England) that mixed blues, psychedelia, and classical symphonic tendencies to create an album artform that progressed the music of the day, pushing the boundaries of rock music in a way that had never been tried before.

Of course, progressive rock music itself has progressed since then!

I would venture to state that this grew out of the 60's in many places. There was a lot of "progressive" music in France/Paris, just like there was in US/LA, or US/NY, or US/SF ... however, the US version is all buried in Woodstock with all the garbage. No one remembers anything and the music was not important or valuable at all ... we were too stoned and drunk and having fun to give a darn! Japan also had its own version, influenced by the rock generation as well.

We might discuss the UFO and other clubs that helped make this, but we probably should give the Filmore West a serious consideration, although we tend to think of Grateful Dead's 4 to 5 hour excusrions, or Allman Brothers same long excursions as not valid, and just another styled In a Gadda's. Some were. Some weren't. But then,  a lot of that early English stuff was also just an extended pop song ... or an extended solo in the middle, and I'm not sure that really helps the "definition" of "progressive music".
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 07:15
]i didn't even know progrock existed before I happened across this site back in 2004. I had just bought my first computer and wanted to see if I could find anything about Hungarian nband Omegs.  I said to myself  " so that's what I've been listening to all these years " .  [/QUOTE] i still scratch my head over all these invented subgenres.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - March 08 2012 at 07:21
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 07:20
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

What a waste of human creativity and intellegence - measument should be in whatever units are readily to hand when things need measuring - I seldom carry around a standard metre or a balance and a set of weights - length is measured in cigarette packets and weight in Mars Bars (also can be used for lenght, volume and monetary value).

Nice ... very nice!

And if someone adds music, paint or words to it fine ... and we would probably call it "progressive" ... but I'm trying out this new kick that if you have to use a metronome and measure the music, it definitly is not progressive. It's either commercial or pop!

Hehehe!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 09:02
Ok, so this is cool because I've read the definition they have up on progarchives and the one from cracked that atmiccrimsonrush posted. When my buddies and I did our radio shows on NPR we tried to condense the definition for the sake of time. I think there are 4 qualifications that separate a progressive band or artist from the rest of their genre (so there can be progressive jazz, progressive folk, etc.). They are: 1) a composition style that flows more like a narrative than poetry (verse/chorus/verse/chorus) 2) Longer songs 3) Instrumental sections, sometimes very technical 4) The usage of uncommon time signatures (compound time)

I would say to be progressive, a band or artist doesn't have to display all 4 of these, but they have to at least have #1 or #4, or else people could qualify jam bands as Prog. Now I've heard some people use the definition that a progressive band is one that continually changes it's style from album to album, or progresses. I disagree because then a band that switched from jazz to polka to alt. rock would be progressive. I've also heard people say "(fill in the blank) band is not progressive because they sound like another band." I don't agree with that either because that would mean there are very few truly progressive artists and they all lived thousands of years ago. But I'm sure there are plenty of people who disagree with my definition of orog...so, whatever. ;-)
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 13:37
It's something we can not describe but we can recognize when we hear it, a bit like what physicists say about quantum mechanics (replace "hear it" by "see it" or better "detect it with our instruments or experiments").

When are we starting the discussion about the difference between "Prog" and "Progressive"?

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 13:52
Everything stuck between Psychedelic folies and Post Punk fury.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>