Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 12:09
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

.....in THIS genre, it IS important to know the difference between crap and good music.

Really? What is crap music? What is good?

Anything after Dec. 31st, 1979, is the spawn of Satan. That's a fact.
There be dragons
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 12:12
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

.....in THIS genre, it IS important to know the difference between crap and good music.

Cheers! Good to know. At last a meaningful definition!
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 12:40

Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Cheers! Good to know. At last a meaningful definition!

Embarrassed

I can't handle kind words.
There be dragons
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 12:59
What about this album, released in December 1969 by Deram, just three months after In The Court Of The Crimson King?

Deram used the word "progressive" with Stan Kenton in mind.

Edited by octopus-4 - March 11 2012 at 13:00
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 14:16
For a thread about a style of music women don't like, this one sure has a lot of discussion aboutr mensuration.

...nevermind
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
javier0889 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 14:18
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

For a thread about a style of music women don't like, this one sure has a lot of discussion aboutr mensuration.

...nevermind

that's so true
I mean... does it really matter what the dictionary says about prog? Just shut up and listen to the damn albums, yeah
http://www.last.fm/user/javier0889
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 14:31
We need someone to re-post the Cracked article, the Onion article, mix it with various comments from the "Why women don't like prog" and we will have the perfect definition and "prog". 
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 17:05
Originally posted by javier0889 javier0889 wrote:

...nevermind

that's so true
I mean... does it really matter what the dictionary says about prog? Just shut up and listen to the damn albums, yeah

But then what would there be to argue about? LOL
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 17:57

...nevermind
Though the two words sound similar (to those who've never said them out loud Wink) - they have different etymologies: mensuration from the Latin mensurare "to measure" and menstruation from the Latin mensis "month or moon" - and while a month is a unit of measurement, it is not the act of measuring. Geek Still, let's not allow pedantry to spoil a humorous post... Tongue
What?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 11:07
I always preferred the term "art rock" myself.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 12:39
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...nevermind
Though the two words sound similar (to those who've never said them out loud Wink) - they have different etymologies: mensuration from the Latin mensurare "to measure" and menstruation from the Latin mensis "month or moon" - and while a month is a unit of measurement, it is not the act of measuring. Geek Still, let's not allow pedantry to spoil a humorous post... Tongue

Don't worry more pedantic would be someone pointing out that in your discussion of mensuration you did not make reference to the measurement problem of quantum physics, or that missing the criticality of the 1st rule caused the loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter spacecraft in 1999, when engineers of Lockheed Martin in the UK had used british measurement units and the rest of the NASA team had used metric units for the navigation control Embarrassed
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 12:43
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

In retrospect I do too. Specially as it shows an inclination to do more than just something that is as defined as what has become known as "progressive".

I think the biggest isse, is that some of the folks came from the Sex Pistols and Iggy Pop school and then others were thrashing like the heathens ... and then the word "art rock" started taking a hit. But I have to tell you that back in the day in Southern California, we used to call all these "imports" ... not anything else! Why? You could not get them in any other form!

And then 1974 and 1975 arrived!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 13:20
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

...nevermind

Don't worry more pedantic would be someone pointing out that in your discussion of mensuration you did not make reference to the measurement problem of quantum physics, or that missing the criticality of the 1st rule caused the loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter spacecraft in 1999, when engineers of Lockheed Martin in the UK had used british measurement units and the rest of the NASA team had used metric units for the navigation control Embarrassed
Being pedantic, it was the other way around - The on board nav software used SI units for thrust and the Nasa ground crew were feeding it data in imperial (not "british" as you say as we have been "metric" since 1971) . A UK-based engineering company would never use imperial measurements for anything and I'm not too sure there was any Brit involvement in this project, I think it was Lockheed Martin Astronautics of Denver.Big smile
What?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 13:20
No surprice someone will put up a tread like this every 3 - 5 months
But amasing it will go 8 full pages every time.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 16:02

...nevermind

Being pedantic, it was the other way around - The on board nav software used SI units for thrust and the Nasa ground crew were feeding it data in imperial (not "british" as you say as we have been "metric" since 1971) . A UK-based engineering company would never use imperial measurements for anything and I'm not too sure there was any Brit involvement in this project, I think it was Lockheed Martin Astronautics of Denver.Big smile

I wrote out of memory and after a quick check I concede that you are right, apparently it was the LM team in Denver Colorado who used imperial units (sorry for calling them "british").
In any case this brings doubts about your statement that "a UK-based engineering company would never use imperial measurements for anything", surely LM Colorado used imperial units because of some reason, even if they were based in the US, and the first idea to come to mind is because their mother headquarter company is UK based?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 16:32

I wrote out of memory and after a quick check I concede that you are right, apparently it was the LM team in Denver Colorado who used imperial units (sorry for calling them "british").
In any case this brings doubts about your statement that "a UK-based engineering company would never use imperial measurements for anything", surely LM Colorado used imperial units because of some reason, even if they were based in the US, and the first idea to come to mind is because their mother headquarter company is UK based?

Nah, Lockheed and Martin were wholly US owned and the merged company's HQ is in Maryland. The USA still uses archaic imperial units though they call them US Customary Units (inches, feet, miles, pounds, foot-pounds, etc.) [wiki/United_States_customary_units] though most US industries have converted to the metric system in recent years due to cock-ups like the MCO and the need to conform with the rest of the world if they want to do business. One obvious sign of the USA hanging on to the old ways is they still sell petrol by the gallon, whereas the UK is by the litre.  
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 16:37

One obvious sign of the USA hanging on to the old ways is they still sell petrol by the gallon, whereas the UK is by the litre.  

Um, correction: We sell it by the dollar.  Geek

Many many dollars. Ouch
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 16:59

Nah, Lockheed and Martin were wholly US owned and the merged company's HQ is in Maryland. The USA still uses archaic imperial units though they call them US Customary Units (inches, feet, miles, pounds, foot-pounds, etc.) [wiki/United_States_customary_units] though most US industries have converted to the metric system in recent years due to cock-ups like the MCO and the need to conform with the rest of the world if they want to do business. One obvious sign of the USA hanging on to the old ways is they still sell petrol by the gallon, whereas the UK is by the litre.  
You win, I have no problem with that, I was just trying to be more pedantic than I really am Tongue

Edited by Gerinski - March 14 2012 at 17:12
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 17:46
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

One obvious sign of the USA hanging on to the old ways is they still sell petrol by the gallon, whereas the UK is by the litre.  

Um, correction: We sell it by the dollar.  Geek

Many many dollars. Ouch
Many, many dollars less than anywhere else.
What?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 18:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

In retrospect I do too. Specially as it shows an inclination to do more than just something that is as defined as what has become known as "progressive".

I think the biggest isse, is that some of the folks came from the Sex Pistols and Iggy Pop school and then others were thrashing like the heathens ... and then the word "art rock" started taking a hit. But I have to tell you that back in the day in Southern California, we used to call all these "imports" ... not anything else! Why? You could not get them in any other form!

And then 1974 and 1975 arrived!

I would prefer that label too, it kind of defines better what I like about prog. Though, then perhaps the bands listed as prog may end up being somewhat different. I would say that something like Cat Steven's "Tea for the Tillerman" would fit in the description of "Art Rock". Plus, as a matter of fact, all music is art, the quality of the art is what differs (and then, the quality of the art is measured by whomever is listening).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>