Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecs for Any new promising prog bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recs for Any new promising prog bands?
    Posted: March 08 2012 at 12:28
besides Haken and Leprous? I needz moar. >.<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 12:39
There is plenty of good new stuff out there. I would suggest that you go along to the top albums page for the last couple of years.

At the moment, I would recommend:

Fourteen TwentySix - I will review the new album from this Dutch band in the next week. They are, though, excellent.
Edison's Children - Project with Pete Trewavas (of Marillion) and Eric Blackwood. Album of 2011 for me.
Introitus - Swedish band, playing unashamed, and superb, neo prog.
The Anabasis - crackingly good heavy prog. The lyricist, George Andrade, has also been involved in a separate project, Airs, with Steve Brockman, which has produced an excellent rock opera.
Touchstone - not exactly new, but relatively recent. Their new album, The city Sleeps is excellent.
Harvest - a band who supported Marillion on tour, and whose Underground Community is one of the albums of 2009.
Lebowski - superb instrumental prog from Poland.
David Minasian - produced a symphonic masterpiece in 2010.
Io Earth - spellbinding debut album was a highlight of 2009. I am looking forward to the new one. This lot have a diverse set of influences and performance. 

There is more, but that should be enough to be getting on with.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 14:14
Thumpermonkey Lives is amazing. Avant-influenced

Abertooth Lincoln is some obscure super angry prog punk. Only one EP has been released and it blew my face off.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 14:45
Radiation 10
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 15:01
Gran Torino,Sky Architect,Beardfish,The Anabasis,Edison's Children,Flying Colors and Soen come to mind.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 05:19
^Nice Dexter avy Jody!

I'd go with Fen.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

igySK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 07:00
Anthriel, Circus Maximus

Edited by igySK - March 09 2012 at 07:01
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 07:11
you know what i will recomend Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 15:24
How new?
Last year: Herd Of Instinct
Less new: The Reasoning and Knifeworld.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 19:33
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Gran Torino,Sky Architect,Beardfish,The Anabasis,Edison's Children,Flying Colors and Soen come to mind.

Beardfish has been around for over 10 years, does that really count as new anymore?
progger7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 12:23
thanks for the recs! Might check out Lebowski first.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 17:11
Herd Of Instincts - Crimsonesque Instrumental Heavy
Sanhedrin - Instrumental Symphonic
Pikapika Teart - Siberian Chamber Rock
Ske - more melodic solo project from Yugen's keyboardist Paolo
Mirthkon - Californian Humorous Avant Jazz
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Swedish Swing Metal with an Operatic singer
Accordo Dei Contrari - Italian Jazz Fusion
Camembert - French humorous Jazz Fusion with a Canterbury feel
Nerve Institute - Heavy Instrumental with Avant & Zappa influences
October Equus - Spanish Avant
Arteria - Mexican Avant with heavy Univers Zero influence
Sanguine Hum - new project from former Antique Seeking Nuns
Elephant9 - Norwegian Heavy Jazz Fusion

That's what I've been listening to.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 17:26
If anyone here is into Progressive Metal, Dimension Act is a brand new band that just put out an album called Manifestation of Progress - it's pretty good.  Nice 30 minute epic too....
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 17:42
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Lebowski - superb instrumental prog from Poland.

I second this recommendation. You can read my review :
Cinematic
Lebowski Crossover Prog

Review by lucas
Special Collaborator Honorary Collaborator

5 stars"Lebowski", "cinematic", two words that are linked to movies. The band Lebowski indeed intended to perform a soundtrack to a non-existent movie, like Mike Patton did with his project Fantomas. The music proposed is strongly rooted in space rock (echoes of Pink Floyd and fellow countrymen of Riverside can be heard), but in order to fit a non-existent movie, the band broadened their canvas by incorporating elements of ambient music, prog metal, "ethnic" music and extracts of voices from movies (mainly polish, but also french and english).

As it is difficult to give an overall picture of the music recorded, I will go through each track separately to give an overview of the influences and the diversity shared across the tracks.

- First track starts in an ethnic ambient mood with duduk, it is strongly reminiscent of the band Deleyaman and would be perfect for a record on Prikosnovénie or Equilibrium label. Then we are in known territories, with a space rock à la Riverside. - The second track features zither and vocalises that remind of ethnic ambient stuff of Dead Can Dance or her frontwoman, Lisa Gerrard, very soothing music. Bendir follows and gives an oriental feel to the music, it accompanies zither and vibraphone. Afterwards, the track alternates between intimate atmospheric oriental-sounding music and more daring instrumental prog metal with guitars and keys. A passage with electric piano and "heavenly" guitars (does anyone remember Cocteau Twins ?) follows. The end of the track blends vocalises, "heavenly" guitars and electric piano. - Third track opens with music that is in the "heavenly" genre, and could come straight from the 4AD label. A flute gives it the symphonic feel of a Happy The Man track (the symphonic prog rock band led by flautist/keyboardist extraordinaire Kit Watkins). A choir followed by "heavenly" guitars and repeted piano notes transport us to an "ambient" land. Drums then roll and guitars rage for a cross to the spacey prog metal land of Riverside. Drums then roll again, but this time like a bolero, and flute and choir put an end to the track. - The fourth track starts with a melancholic piano, resonant of fellow countryman Zbigniew Preisner. We are then transported to a more cinematic world, close to Pat Metheny's moving "last train home". Some echo-effects with harp and violin follow. Discrete trumpet can be heard in the background then a short passage with chaotic guitars. Peace and quietness are back with harp layers. Harp alternates with trumpet, and some hypnotic heavenly guitars emerge. - Fifth track shows a further move for heavenly music à la Cocteau Twins, opening with "heavenly" guitars. The whole track remains in a heavenly mood, presenting with some nice post-romantic piano layers here and there and discrete trombone. - On the sixth track, the aim was to pay a tribute to french music and movies, hence the presence of an accordion. The track opens once again in a "heavenly" mode, or we can even dare saying "gothic" (not surprising given the movie chosen for the voice extract, "le pacte des loups"). Some glockenspiel can be heard within the "heavenly" passage. Then, in order to give the track a french flavor, accordion enters and later on a short passage with harmonica can be heard. Faithful to their eclectism, the band integrated a keyboard solo after the french connection, before giving back to the accordion its place. A slightly prog metal passage follows and the accordion closes the track with the word "merci" from a voice sample. - The seventh track opens with a lullaby-sounding piano (Luigi Rubino of the band Ashram, signed on prikosnovénie, comes to mind). It quickly shifts to instrumental prog metal with a piano/guitar duel. Soft pan flute follows, then electric piano substitutes to the acoustic piano and duels with guitar. - We move to the eigth track, which has interesting reverbering keyboard effects, interspersed with echoing guitar soli. Lamenting guitars follow and some processed vocals are transitioned with nice hypnotic piano/guitar work. Guitars become then most daring, transporting us once again to the know territories of Riverside. - The two thirds of the ninth track are in the "ambient" mood, gentle piano/keyboard being joined by fretless bass and discrete percussion. The last third is in a sixties psychedelic rock mood, fast-tempo drums being accompanied with vintage Hammond organ. - The closing track features a voice sample of 2001 space odyssey and is a guitar-lead track, with some welcome Steve Vai-like effects. Piano, guitar and Hammond organ answer to each other. Piano and fretless bass then quieten the mood. Some echoes of fellow countrymen of symphonic prog rock band Satellite can be witnessed in the keyboard layers that follow the bass solo. The atmosphere then turns to jazzy ambient (à la Jan Garbarek) with a thoughtful saxophone-piano duet. The track ends with the sound of the projector stopping after the end of a movie.

In a nutshell, Lebowski is highly recommended for people who like their music eclectic and thoughtful.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 17:49

AORish prog metal
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 18:07
I love Gavin Harrison's and 05Ric's collaboration.

Metallic-toned jazz duo with great lyrics and a real earthy voice. 

Andy's review sums it up pretty well. Thumbs Up
Though i would give Drop a 4*. 

Drop
Gavin Harrison & 05Ric Eclectic Prog

Review by Andy Webb 
Collaborator Heavy Prog Team / New Suggestions / PMT

3 stars Sailing on alloy wings

The history of Gavin Harrison, the drummer of Porcupine Tree, and his collaboration with the interesting extended range bass player "05ric" is an interesting one. Harrison received an invite on Myspace by the latter, and he decided to check out his music, to which he rather enjoyed. Through a number of private messages and emails, the two met up at a Porcupine Tree concert and started talking. One thing led to another and soon the two were sending each other little tidbits of music and themes and melodies, and soon the album "Drop" formed. Combining the forces of both musicians' intense skill, the album turned out to be a great fusion of mechanical experimental rock and jazz, making for a rather eclectic showing. (Quote from my review of 'Circles') The album exposed itself as a fantastic display of the two musicians' inventiveness and their willingness to break down genre walls and creating a spectacular fusion of jazzy riffs, mechanical instrumental precision, and some really nice melodies. Although the music may become redundant after a number of dynamic and inviting tracks, the music still holds as a strong display of these guys' musical message.

A particular feature of this music that I find particularly repelling about this music is the lack of diversity on the album. The music, track by track, is genius, with countless memorable moments throughout the tracks. However, many of the songs can easily seem to blend together into a single song blur. I could easily quote my review of Circles again, with my comments on the mechanical nature of the music being 'obvious, with Harrison's roving precise polyrhythmic drumming complimenting 05ric's robotic bass and guitar lines. Of course the music is not just a time-slot specific template; the two guys are no strangers to improvisation. With countless fills rotating around jazzy and at some times beautifully dissonant guitar solos, the tracks have no shortage of spice to make the music more interesting.' The same holds true for both of this band's albums. Although this continuity between their works is not a bad thing, I believe it would be helpful for the band to compose something more diverse and inviting of a wider fanbase.

Of course this album came before Circles, so I cannot throw down this album's genius unjustly. The music is infectious at times, beautiful at others, sweeping here, rolling there, and a slew of other characteristics to call these songs home. And of course, this was the band's debut, so I must accredit it with being one damn professional and one damn creative debut, despite being a bit redundant. Harrison's usual amazing performance combined with 05Ric's fantastic bass style certainly does make for a superb album!

In final consideration, Drop boils down to a superb display of these two guys' great prowess on their instruments, with Gavin rotating around his kit with grace and agility and 05ric sweeping up and down his bass with ease. Overall, the album, despite being rather unchanging, is a great album, with some really cool atmospheres and chill jazzy soloing to give it a name. Although it may not be the best album out there, I recommend it to anyone who is looking for something different and jazzy to listen to. Notice anything familiar about this conclusion? 3+ stars.

Send comments to Andy Webb (BETA) | Report this revie

Edited by Horizons - March 10 2012 at 18:07
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Lebofsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 12:37
I hate shameless plugs but how about my own new-ish band (which just got our recently released debut record put up on this site):

MoeTar - crossover prog with touches of National Health/Gentle Giant/Zappa

I also currently play in miRthkon and Secret Chiefs 3, if that helps.

- Matt

P.S. (edit) - despite my last name I'm not related to the band Lebowski.

Edited by Lebofsky - March 12 2012 at 12:38
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2012 at 04:58

IO EARTH 

Edited by martinprog77 - March 13 2012 at 04:59
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

martinprog77 View Drop Down