Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedName's Andrey (a.k.a. Dayvenkirq)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name's Andrey (a.k.a. Dayvenkirq)
    Posted: March 08 2012 at 19:15
Ola! My name is Andrey. In case if you want to pop the question, which I will probably hear for the 1000th time, I'm from St.-Peterburg, Russia.

I have been reading reviews from and writing reviews for PA for a couple of months and only then I have discovered this forum. Thanks for telling me!

I'm not a HUGE fan of prog rock in a sense that I do not skip school and listen to one Genesis or KC or PF track after another 24/7. I am a huge fan of the genre in a sense that it is the genre the works of which I listen to the most. 

I enjoy much of the music from early 50's electronica (Karlheinz Stockhausen) to early 90's alt-rock, but I do really enjoy a lot of stuff from 60's and 70's. I like folk of Bert Jansch and Nick Drake, although the latter is not recognized by some as a folk figure. In addition to that, I listen to the hard rock of King Crimson and Led Zeppelin (I keep forgetting how to spell 'zeppelin'.) I also listen to pop, be that The Beatles, The Carpenters, or The Bee Gees, for Christ's sake!  Plus, I am into jazz fusion as well (never pure jazz), stuff like King Crimson (again) and The Mahavishnu Orchestra with John McLaughlin. Not the last and not the least on the list is prog rock, be that Yes or Genesis or King Crimson (a-gain) or Pink Floyd. I used to be a fan of the Floyd, particularly their late 60's and early-early 70's stuff (up to 1972.) Not that big of a fan now, but they are the best of all rock groups in terms of adequate songwriting, oftentimes sparse arrangement, and quality ambient textures (something US and UK need badly today, IMO.) I like new age and ambient also; in fact I consider Brian Eno the titan of ambient music, maybe followed by Harold Budd or Pink Floyd, I'm not sure. I don't want to forget to mention Vangelis as well. Laslty, I on occasions listen to experimental music (Faust, Cluster, Harmonia) Here I will stop listing.

To sum up, here is my chart of the most influential (on me), quintessential-in-its-genre, best-of-the-artist, and possibly original, albums (of as many artists I could induct) that I have heard thus far. NOTE: it IS subject to change.

Oh, yeah! I did consider for the induction Matching Mole's debut, Genesis' "From Genesis to Revelation", and PF's "Atom Heart Mother" (which I still regret to this day.)

If you have any questions about the chart, look me up and let me know.

Three more things and I will not overstay my welcome, I swear.

1) I am planning on writing a book (no matter how naive it may seem to you) on prog-rock's ups and downs.
2) I can't add a request for inducting the Durutti Column to PA catalog, so here are the links that could help the admins make a decision about this ... ahem ... group:

Check out Durutti Column's (Vini Reilly) first album containing works in the styles of classical music, jazz, ambient, and electronica, which suggest his connection to prog-rock, even though I haven't heard of him anything folky of rocksy.

3) I am also a musician. I play guitars and keys, and I mix and produce my own work with a goal of proving that inaccessible can become accessible. I will try to get the masses interested in marginal musical forms (i.e. classical, fusion, folk and folk revival, etc.)

Thank you for reading.

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 19:27
Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay! It seems you have already covered a lot of ground musically, and I'm sure you will continue to cover more as time progresses...so enjoy your journey!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 00:30
Looks like you're off to a quick start. Welcome!  
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 11:57
Welcome fellow newbie/groupie!
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 18:43
I see a lot of good stuff in your chart.
 Post Reply Post Reply