Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP 5.1 remixes by Steven Wilson.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELP 5.1 remixes by Steven Wilson.
    Posted: March 16 2012 at 16:29
ELP's new record company Razor & Tie will be re-releasing the back-catalogue later this year.

The first two albums (s/t and Tarkus) have been remixed in 5.1 by Steven Wilson.

I guess some of you may be aware of this already -- it's been "known" for a few weeks now, since Steven Wilson hinted about it on another forum (see post #25 in linked thread).

Fripp has also mentioned it in his diary:
Quote Steven is the Numero Uno in-demand go-to Sonic Re-Vibrator of albums from the so-called Progressive Period. One of Steven’s recent jobs has been remixing the first two ELP albums. After several visits that fell through, Greg arrived to check-out the re-mixes. Steven was surprised to learn how much of my guitar playing I had learnt from Greg himself.

Not really interested in 5.1 myself (and I already have the best sounding cd masterings of classic ELP), but I thought some of you guys might like a heads-up.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 17:11
I am so glad I didn't bother with the last round of remasters.  Doesn't mean I'll jump on the train for those editions as I am pretty much broke.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 18:29
Originally posted by Capt Fongsby Capt Fongsby wrote:

ELP's new record company Razor & Tie will be re-releasing the back-catalogue later this year.

The first two albums (s/t and Tarkus) have been remixed in 5.1 by Steven Wilson.

I guess some of you may be aware of this already -- it's been "known" for a few weeks now, since Steven Wilson hinted about it on another forum (see post #25 in linked thread).

Fripp has also mentioned it in his diary:
Quote Steven is the Numero Uno in-demand go-to Sonic Re-Vibrator of albums from the so-called Progressive Period. One of Steven’s recent jobs has been remixing the first two ELP albums. After several visits that fell through, Greg arrived to check-out the re-mixes. Steven was surprised to learn how much of my guitar playing I had learnt from Greg himself.

Not really interested in 5.1 myself (and I already have the best sounding cd masterings of classic ELP), but I thought some of you guys might like a heads-up.

Was there a  touch of irony in that comment Bob?

anyway looks like I will be shelling out more money on ELP, the great big mug that I amEmbarrassed
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 18:35
If Steven Wilson's got his fingerprints on it, I'll be sure to pick up Tarkus.  I still haven't gotten it on CD - love the sound of my vinyl copy - but he did such a great job with Aqualung, I don't think I can resist this one.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 18:38

Hi Capt Fongsby, Smile

Thanks for this wonderful news!  I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A very important thing that is overlooked in a project like this is not the 5.1 mix(which I find to be a  game changer) is that in fact most CD releases were never taken from a low gen master when they were made. For the 5.1 mixes, the actual multi-track tape is used, but not before it is digitally ripped and then meticulously cleaned track by track.  Then being remixed to 5.1 or an additional 2.0 mix.  The result is far superior to any existing 2.0 mix, for sure. And the new 2.0 mix is far better then any existing CD release.

I have the Brain Salad Surgery DVD-Audio 5.1 and it is impossible to describe.  It is like being in the control room with ELP & Eddie Offord on the faders.

Thanks again Capt Fongsby for this great news!   LOL Big smile Tongue Smile 
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 18:43

By the way it looks like the records are:

"Tarkus" and "Pictures at an Exhibition"
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 19:50
Great news!! Weird though as I always got the impression that Wilson wasn't a big fan of ELP.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 19:57
Awwww he was on a roll too. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 22:39
Great! My Tarkus is damaged and I still have to get the debut on CD. I might get BSS too because Shout Factory! didn't really do a good job (my opinion) on remastering that one.

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - March 16 2012 at 22:39
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 22:41
Hopefully he does Brain Salad soon. I have the awful Shout! Factory version...
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 03:38
There have been a load of bad remsasterings of Brain Salad Surgery. My favourite album as well. The DVD audio is not very good either sadly.

As someone suggested ,Wilson was never an ELP fan although its probably a myth that he was ever a prog fan. He does like Pink Floyd but I think the symphonic thing was never his cup of team. I can't imagine anything stranger than him being the preferred choice to remaster PAAE. Shows just how highly respected he is now and justifiably so imo.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 04:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

There have been a load of bad remsasterings of Brain Salad Surgery. My favourite album as well. The DVD audio is not very good either sadly.

As someone suggested ,Wilson was never an ELP fan although its probably a myth that he was ever a prog fan. He does like Pink Floyd but I think the symphonic thing was never his cup of team. I can't imagine anything stranger than him being the preferred choice to remaster PAAE. Shows just how highly respected he is now and justifiably so imo.

Whaaa???
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 06:44

Seems a bit to much into it for a non-fan. Ermm
Bigger on the inside.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 09:17
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Seems a bit to much into it for a non-fan. Ermm
Yeah that was impressive. I'd say Steven is a huge Prog fan or he just knows everything.LOL
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 10:42

^ Cool (He always seem to downplay any great love of the genre in interviews I've heard when he's talked about his influences.) I guess he knows more about the genre than I know about SW.Tongue

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 11:07
I think Steven Wilson, as a professional musician, doesn't want to come across as a fan-boy.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 12:07
I'll probably skip these. (Unless there is a boatload of good bonus material)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
tarkusnj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 13:54
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> [QUOTE=Slartibartfast] [QUOTE=richardh]There have been a load of bad remsasterings of Brain Salad Surgery. My favourite album as well. The DVD audio is not very good either sadly.

This is not meant to be sarcastic but I would check your equipment or your hearing. Or I would just assume you have poor judgement.
tarkusnj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 13:58
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">

[/QUOTE]

Anyone who thinks any ELP remasters sound better than the original releases of the albums on cd's in the 80's are spliting hairs here-the LP's always sounded better. As far as any ELP remasters are concerned, the ONLY releases that have a noticeable sound quality improvement were the MFSL cd's or MFSL LP releases. I guess this is the wrong forum for anyone who knows sound quality.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 14:31
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> [QUOTE=Slartibartfast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>