Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP 5.1 remixes by Steven Wilson.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 16:53
Had a few listens to Tarkus. SW had done quite a bit with the transitions on the suite but not too much meddling thankfully.Side Two always had a lot more potential for improvement and thats where I think SW has done his best work on the ELP reissues. The Only Way ,always a good track, now gives me goosepbumps. The church organ sounds even more splendid as does Lake's singing. The first bonus track  Oh, My Father is a gem , very emotional and unusually soulfull (for ELP). Unknown Ballad is a real curiosity and hardly sounds like ELP at all. Only Lake speaking at the end convinces me its ELP! Finally there is an alternate version of Mass which works quite nicely as a seperate track.
All in all great job by Steven on both discs. Looking forward to SW hopefully getting his hands on Trilogy and BSS.
mantifluid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 15:11
My ELP box sets have been dispatched, I would like to know if there is a dvda mix, and has any one heared it yet.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 15:56
Originally posted by mantifluid mantifluid wrote:

My ELP box sets have been dispatched, I would like to know if there is a dvda mix, and has any one heared it yet.

Yes there is one made by Steven Wilson, a review coming soon, check your friend Google...Wink
In the meantime, you can check this thread :

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16499-Emerson-Lake-amp-Palmer-TARKUS-DVD-A

Edited by rdtprog - August 28 2012 at 15:59
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 01:10
I don't have a surround sound system so I played the DVD-A through my stereo system selecting the 'enhanced stereo' option and it sounds excactly like the CD but I guess thats to be expected.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 13:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

So they are now here!!
Been listening to Emerson,Lake and Palmer's debut- alternative version. Not much change on Take A Pebble or The Barbarian but then Knife Edge has noticeable changes on the vocals (I like) and a different ending (I don't like). Side Two in old money now starts with Promenade from Pictures At An Exhibition (with vocals) followed by just the 3rd Fate . There is a completly new track called Rave Up which is totally brilliant and shows ELP getting together as a band. Tank is completely gutted (Steven obviously doesn't like jazz rock he he) just leaving the drum solo. Lucky Man is largely left intact though. The effect of this is to balance out the solo material with much less emphasis on Emerson keyboards especially. Do I like it overall? On first listen I'm not sure to be honest but its an interesting experiment and at least you still have the orginal version to listen to all nicely remastered (an excellent job done in this respect). I will give my opinion on SW's Tarkus later.

Hi richardh,   Smile

I am glad you got yours, mine are crossing the Atlantic on the way to my house as we speak.  I can't wait to play them!

One small detail.  About your review of the 1st, ELP:  Steven Wilson didn't want to really change anything.  The 5.1 surround of The Three Fates and Tank are radically changed cause the orig. multitrack tapes were lost so he worked with the multichannel bits of tape he did have for The Three Fates.  The 2channel mix taken from the stereo master has no changes at all, as all songs were available from that 2 channel master. So the only "changes" are on the 3rd 5.1 disc and were due to incomplete lost multichannel tapes.

I can't wait for my discs to arrive and also for Trilogy, BSS and Welcome Back and Pictures. Smile   Smile   Smile   Smile   Smile
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 15:09
I listening to Tarkus DVDA right now whilst typing this,and I can tell you boys and girls, its somthing else.
Tarkus is one of my favorite albums and have played it over and over, now its sounds if the band are in my room blasting away.
This is how recordings should sound clear clean powerfull every detail captured, and yet not harsh or over equed, it has the warmth of vinyl and yet the crispness of CD
Music should be somthing you look forward to with each purchase, as you get older that thrill fades away, but on this experence it brings back the joy of your youth.
The only way is playing now and I swear Keith is sat at some church organ in my living room Greg laying down the vocals.
Mr Wilson has done fantastic work hear Trilogy BSS and the live albums will give me and all fans of High rez recordings something to really light the fires once more.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 02:51
^ The Only Way is certainly something special now.Approve

Thanks for the info dennismoore , I am literally drooling at the prospect of SW getting his hands on BSS especiallyBig smile
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 04:12
A Review by Darren Lock on You Tube; Disclaimer, he doesn't like very much ELP, but he likes the mixes done by SW :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkUk84I6XiE&feature=g-all-u

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 09:50
This prog review is a joke right, keith Emerson is a pub piano player, please give me a break.
I understand people who loath certain bands, but you have to back it up, the guy says he dosn't like overlong meandering sections that ELP do, and yet he enjoys relayer a album with 3 songs.

I love the way people are selecteive with picking holes in ELP, the knives overblown theatrics and so on, they forget one very important point they are talented muzos first and formost.
Jimi hendrix was full of tricks in the early years but you could never deny the man could play guitar,
Its like me say the review was bad because the bloke was fat, look past the visual and listen to the music.

Edited by mantifluid - August 31 2012 at 09:52
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 20:55
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ The Only Way is certainly something special now.Approve

Dude!  You read my mind about The Only Way....    As I wait for my discs, I am thinking what track to play first,
and I keep thinking The Only Way for those haunting low organ pipes and then magestic grand piano and Greg's
fine tenor....   What a treat indeed.

I am not sure most folks here understand how special these releases are or what magic takes place when a gifted ear
such as Steven Wilson goes back from the original multi  tracks and rebuilds the whole project from scratch and spreads it out to 5.1 channels.  Too bad more folks can't experience the surround sound easier.

Me....   I can't effin wait!

P.S.  I have the older,now out of print DVD-Audio of Brain Salad Surgery and it does sound magnificent, though I do think Steven's mix will be totally worthwhile and different from the that one.  Steven has a way to recreate reverbs
and stuff that was used on the original 2 track mixdown, he keeps the original feel but adds clarity and depth toall the instruments.  I don't know how he does it.  His 5.1 mix of Aqualung is to die for.

Us proggers are so very lucky that Steven is giving his time(at very little compensation) to do these surround mixes...ELP, Tull, Crimson....
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Gooner View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 15:09
Steven Wilson remastering/remixing the first two ELP albums?  Time to get out the dartboard.

ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 16:52
A dartboard?Ermm
This night wounds time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234