Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWell hello...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well hello...
    Posted: April 01 2012 at 06:51
Hi there,

Just wanted to step by and say hello Smile My name is Jonas, I'm 23, and I listen to prog since about three or four years now (classical music and metal being my background). I've started out with Neal Morse and Porcupine Tree and have since been eager to explore the genre especially in it's earlier years. I would say that by now I feel most comfortable anywhere between old Yes, Marillion, Kevin Gilbert, Spock's Beard, Procol Harum and PT, to name a few cornerstones ;) Any suggestions are appreciated!

Anyway, to why I joined this board: Since I started listening to prog the archives have been of great help for me when it comes to discovering new bands and choosing which albums to start with. I also think that, apart from my clumsy English, I could write some acceptable reviews, though I don't know if that's really necessary because most of the bands that I listen to and know well enough seem to be rather mainstream (well, as mainstream as it gets in this little community).
There might be one exception to that though, and probably the main reason why I joined now was that I want to introduce the Austrian band phi to the community (Thread about them to be started soon). I met those guys at the conservatory where I study classical guitar and have never heard a newcomer band like them before.  
Last but not least, I'm excited to meet new people and always in for a discussion; I have been active in diverse online forums for the last ten years and it's about time that I joined one where people listen to the same music as I do :)

And that seems to be much more already than you probably care to know about a complete stranger ;) I hope we'll get along well!

All the best,
Jonas
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 17:08
Welcome, Jonas!

Jonas, that sounds Nordic. Where're you from, Jonas? (If you don't mind me asking.)

A great list of bands you have there. Listened to any Dream Theater (Prog Metal) or Quella Vecchia Locanda (RPI - Classic/Rock Fusion)?

I'm quite new to Prog Metal myself, but what I've listened to by DT has almost made me a fan after just a few listens.

QVL is my favourite Italian prog band. Check them out, if you like some good flute and violin.
ProgBlog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 17:45
Originally posted by Desert_Storm Desert_Storm wrote:

Hi there,

Just wanted to step by and say hello Smile My name is Jonas, I'm 23, and I listen to prog since about three or four years now (classical music and metal being my background). I've started out with Neal Morse and Porcupine Tree and have since been eager to explore the genre especially in it's earlier years. I would say that by now I feel most comfortable anywhere between old Yes, Marillion, Kevin Gilbert, Spock's Beard, Procol Harum and PT, to name a few cornerstones ;) Any suggestions are appreciated!

Anyway, to why I joined this board: Since I started listening to prog the archives have been of great help for me when it comes to discovering new bands and choosing which albums to start with. I also think that, apart from my clumsy English, I could write some acceptable reviews, though I don't know if that's really necessary because most of the bands that I listen to and know well enough seem to be rather mainstream (well, as mainstream as it gets in this little community).
There might be one exception to that though, and probably the main reason why I joined now was that I want to introduce the Austrian band phi to the community (Thread about them to be started soon). I met those guys at the conservatory where I study classical guitar and have never heard a newcomer band like them before.  
Last but not least, I'm excited to meet new people and always in for a discussion; I have been active in diverse online forums for the last ten years and it's about time that I joined one where people listen to the same music as I do :)

And that seems to be much more already than you probably care to know about a complete stranger ;) I hope we'll get along well!

All the best,
Jonas

Hello DesertStorm, welcome to progarchives.  I've discovered new music here also, it's a fantastic site.

I wasn't familiar with the band phi so I checked out their website and music on youtube.  The youtube channel is called phiaustria and has a few videos.  What a cool band and cool style...I am now a phi fan.Thumbs Up  I added the band to my youtube channel so that others may discover them.  Thanks for introducing phi!

Take care
Heather

Music is very spiritual — it has the power to bring people together. - Edgar Winter

colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 20:15
Hi, I'm Alan! Welcome!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 10:33
Welcome! 
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 17:24
Hi Jonas,

Welcome!

Oh, and your English seems pretty good, keep it up!
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 21:56
Welcome!
Desert_Storm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 06:10
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome :) About my English, I'm trying hard to improve!

@ The Bearded Bard:
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Welcome, Jonas!

Jonas, that sounds Nordic. Where're you from, Jonas? (If you don't mind me asking.)

I don't mind you asking, if I did, starting an "introduce yourself" topic might not have been the best choice for me ;)
I'm from Switzerland actually, now living in Austria. The name itself is Hebrew, though, and seems to be much more common in Northern Europe than around here, so I see why you would think that.

A great list of bands you have there. Listened to any Dream Theater (Prog Metal) or Quella Vecchia Locanda (RPI - Classic/Rock Fusion)?

I've known Dream Theater for ages but never really liked them for multiple reasons, neither as a Metalhead nor as somebody listening to prog - but that's a different topic ;) I never heard of Quella Vecchia Locanda, though, I will check them out soon! Somehow it's funny that I like a lot of metal bands and a lot of prog bands as well, but don't really enjoy the fusion of it in most cases.

@ ProgBlog: Glad you like phi! They're pretty amazing, aren't they?
"I want you to know that you and I... are not all that different. I mean, I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine."
-Friends
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 17:28
Originally posted by Desert_Storm Desert_Storm wrote:

I'm from Switzerland actually, now living in Austria.
That's OK. You're welcome anywayBig smile
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 10:12
We wn't hold it against you.
Desert_Storm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 09:06
I'm so glad to hear that you guys, I really thought I would have been stepping into big trouble here ;)

By the way, I just opened a thread for the band phi here , make sure to check it out if you like fresh new prog music :)

So long...
"I want you to know that you and I... are not all that different. I mean, I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine."
-Friends
rajaesco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Rajajaja Travellin' Band Spam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 01:39
hello everyone my name is raja working in a travel company....
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 02:23
Originally posted by rajaesco rajaesco wrote:

Hi. You could start your own welcome thread in the 'Welcome newbies' page ... oh, well. Welcome to PA. Hope you'll have fun Smile .
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 02:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by rajaesco rajaesco wrote:

Hi. You could start your own welcome thread in the 'Welcome newbies' page ... oh, well. Welcome to PA. Hope you'll have fun Smile .
Hey Andrey please check his member title and laugh out loudly. Tongue

Anyway, welcome aboard Jonas. Approve

Edited by DamoXt7942 - April 12 2012 at 02:25
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 16:12
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Hey Andrey please check his member title and laugh out loudly. Tongue

That's how I got dinged for not reading previous posts on a thread when I was a newbie - I've never been to the forum before.

edit: ... No, ... wait ... travelling band spam?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 15 2012 at 16:15
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 06:51
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

edit: ... No, ... wait ... travelling band spam?
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply