FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost influential Prog Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most influential Prog Bands
    Posted: April 01 2012 at 14:20
What bands would you say are the most influential bands in the Progressive Rock genre for each decade starting with the 70's?  I'm especially interested in hearing what people would say about the 2000's and on - it seems like when you get that close to today, it's hard to really say who has been influential.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 14:23
^ it's hard to say what is influential from the modern age, because the bands of the modern age are still in process of influizing (no it's not a word. I'm tired).
There be dragons
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 14:27
Haha, that's exactly what I was saying!  But I'd love for you to take a stab at it anyways - it would be interesting to see what people come up with and how different everyone's ideas are.
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 14:45

Obviously King Crimson, and, of that first wave of prog groups, they all influenced each other somewhat, along with the general Beatles/jazz/classical music influences.

Too early to say how post-2000 bands are being influential!

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:09
For 2000s I think
Neal Morse
Opeth
The Mars Volta
Pain of Salvation

There are more...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:14
But Pain of Salvation and Opeth started in the 90's...
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:33
We can't say it.

A lot of people say when reviewing an album or a band: "Ah, here you hear cleary xxxxxxx influences.". Well how do they know? Just because sounds similar? Just because it makes the person remind the band? I bet most of the bands they say that have influence from a certain band don't have or didn't even hear of the band.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:37
Hmm...I'll have to think about it, but I can give a few picks from the 70's:

King Crimson, Yes, and Genesis (no explanation needed).
Rush and Kansas, for their profound influence, not only on prog, but on other popular genres (namely metal and classic rock).
Magma, because they started an entire genre all by themselves.

Another thing about Rush is that, before Fates Warning, Dream Theater, or Queensrych, they were arguably the first true progressive metal band.  Albums like 2112 and A Farewell to Kings were indisputably metal albums but also indisputably prog albums.  In my opinion, Rush was the first band to be fully prog and fully metal.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:52
I don't know if I'd agree that Rush were the first Progressive Metal, in the same way that I don't know if I'd agree with someone who said that Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath were the first Metal bands.  Were they actually metal, or were they precursors to metal?  They were definitely heavier than other bands before them, but does it make them metal?

And I think it's easy to say who was most influential - who was the most talked about?  Who sold the most albums?

I started a thread a while ago about doing a History of Progressive Rock radio show, and a couple people threw Magma in that thread as well, but I honestly never heard of them until this forum.  Were they really well known, or just the favorites of a few people on here?  Honestly, I'm not trying to offend those people who love them, but are they really influential?
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:54
I'd say the most influential band, overall, is King Crimson. They've meddled with so many different styles and sounds; they're extremely eclectic. Their influence has reached to so many bands like Rush, Tool, math-rock/post-rock bands like Don Caballero, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Dream Theater, Metallica, etc.
60's: The Beatles, Procol Harum, The Moody Blues
70's: King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa, Can, Magma,
80's: Rush, Marillion, Saga
90's: Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, The Flower Kings, Tool, Opeth

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - April 01 2012 at 16:20
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 15:54
in the 60s, the Beatles, Procol Harum and Moody Blues  and maybe also Pink Floyd
70s (69), King Crimson, , Roxy Music, Kraftwerk, defenitly Pink Floyd, Genesis, Return to Forever,
80s,  Saga,
90s, Radiohead, Neurosis, Tool, Meshuggah

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 16:26
Mars Volta, Maudlin of the Well, Don Caballero, Radiohead, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Marillion

Edited by Horizons - April 01 2012 at 16:28
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
2112R View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 16:58
I don't know if there are truly any influential Prog Bands in the 2000's. As an entire movement, it seems that "Prog" originates in the 60's with The Beatles and King Crimson, but from that point was picked up by pioneers. All those big time Prog names we all name off (Rush, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, The Mars Volta, etc.) I think simply developed the concept of Progressive music and mixed it into their own preferred field of music making. There seems to definitely movers and shakers of prog (those named above) who actually helped progress progressive music, but I don't think they are actually the most influential, especially considering the vast amount of sub-genres of prog found under progressive labels. That's maybe complete nonsense, or actually somewhat true, but that's just my 2 cents.
"All (the naked man) means is the abstract man against the masses. The red star symbolizes any collectivist mentality." - Neil Peart
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 18:43
Only time will tell who is truly influential.  That is why it is easy to see who is influential from the 60s and 70s.  In our  current fractured musical culture, I doubt we will find anybody as influential to the same degree.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 18:50
Influential....where?  And FROM where?  For example, there are non-English European prog bands who had quite a bit of influence on later groups.  (PFM comes to mind.)  And if we are talking influence ON non-English European bands, then Gentle Giant would have to be pretty close to the top of the list (along with Genesis, Yes, ELP and Floyd).

But it sounds like we are being U.S.-centric here, so...

I would question the "influence" of King Crimson: they were certainly among the progenitors of prog, and there are a few prog bands who exhibit some influence from them.  (Mars Volta is among the most obvious.)  But I would not say that their OVERALL influence was very large.  On the other hand, Rush probably influenced more neo-prog and especially prog-metal bands than almost anyone (as well as quite a few non-prog bands!).  (Though some of the most influential neo-prog bands - Marillion, Porcupine Tree, IQ, Spock's Beard et al - were influenced less by Rush than by Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Floyd, ELP, Moody Blues et al.)

Ultimately, it is difficult to trace influence back "clearly" with any certainty in order to establish a "hierarchy" of influence, since there was quite a bit of "cross-influence" going on vis-a-vis the seminal prog bands (mid-60s to early 70s), and the supposed influence of later prog bands is itself based on the bands that influenced THEM.

However, it is clear that the Beatles, while not prog themselves, began almost all of the "experimentation" that led to prog, and influenced almost every seminal prog band to one degree or another.  (Floyd and Moody Blues are the two most direct, but Genesis, Yes, and even Gentle Giant show traces.  Interestingly, Crimson seems to have "sprung full-grown from the head of Zeus," with little if any direct Beatle influence.)

BTW, I'm surprised no one mentioned Zappa.  True, no one sounds exactly like him.  But perhaps second only to the Beatles, his influence can be heard pretty broadly throughout prog.

Peace.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 19:14
None of them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 20:34
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I don't know if I'd agree that Rush were the first Progressive Metal, in the same way that I don't know if I'd agree with someone who said that Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath were the first Metal bands.  Were they actually metal, or were they precursors to metal?  They were definitely heavier than other bands before them, but does it make them metal?

And I think it's easy to say who was most influential - who was the most talked about?  Who sold the most albums?

I started a thread a while ago about doing a History of Progressive Rock radio show, and a couple people threw Magma in that thread as well, but I honestly never heard of them until this forum.  Were they really well known, or just the favorites of a few people on here?  Honestly, I'm not trying to offend those people who love them, but are they really influential?

I think the general consensus is that Zeppelin and Sabbath were, in fact, the first metal bands.  You could draw the line anywhere, potentially, but they were the first bands to be called heavy metal.

I don't know a lot about Magma's audience base but I think they're somewhat of a cult act (they're definitely not a mainstream band).  They were never very influential on the main current of progressive rock, but they invented an entire genre (Zeuhl) by themselves, which basically exists independently from the other prog sub-genres.  That makes them pretty influential!  

Horizons:  maudlin of the Well might be the best band of the 2000's, but did they really influence that many other bands?  I started a thread about motW-influenced bands a month ago or so and didn't get a whole lot of responses, which led me to think that they may have been too obscure to really make a large impact, influence-wise.

Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 22:04
Its interesting to see what everyone has to say on this subject. I still don't get why everyone comes back to The Beatles. To me, they are a rather overhyped pop group and have very little to do with prog. Or perhaps I'm listening to the wrong Beatles material.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 22:23
Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

Its interesting to see what everyone has to say on this subject. I still don't get why everyone comes back to The Beatles. To me, they are a rather overhyped pop group and have very little to do with prog. Or perhaps I'm listening to the wrong Beatles material.

What Beatles material are you listening to?
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 22:34
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

What Beatles material are you listening to?

I have "Abbey Road" and a best of, both on vinyl and I don't get anything out of either.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>