Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost influential Prog Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 23:18
I'm going with Zappa. If you read through many of the classic Prog bands' liner notes, you will find that somewhere, he is connected!
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 00:40
Prog Bands of the 70's tended to have a pretty specific sound that has died out. There is way more variety nowadays in what would be defined as 'prog'.  Which is good. 

Agreed with the above. Zappa is a hugely influential artist. You can hear his influences in Avant, Alternative rock and lots of heavier stuff as well 

When you think of the general music landscape today classic Prog actually had very little impact.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 08:41
Originally posted by OT Räihälä OT Räihälä wrote:

Oh, and Moshkito: why do you always put three fullstops when one is enough? How can you afford so many? And have you thought about your carbon footprint? [Tongue in cheek mode off] It's a pain to read when there are one million needless fullstops.

I write in what is known as a "thinking" or "theatrical" style. That means that the "dots" are what is often considered and called "thinking pauses" or "pregnant pauses" in theater and film.

It is possible, however, that while I see that, you might not, and that is a difference that is ... always the case between two or more people.

If I may ask, do you have to be an English Grammar professor to appreciate "writing", in any form? ... if that is the case I'm thinking that you are not checking out the meat and potatoes of the content at all ... and yeah ... you will have indigestion and not appreciate what was being said. It's like saying that everyone from Greek Mythology to Burroughs has to write the way you like ... that means you hate poetry and EE Cummings is your enemy! ... I forgot ... you are into prog, or something like it, right?

Edited by moshkito - April 05 2012 at 08:44
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 09:04
Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

I'm going with Zappa. If you read through many of the classic Prog bands' liner notes, you will find that somewhere, he is connected!

I actually agree, but probably for different reasons. Even John Lennon had already mentioned Frank, and what he was doing with the guitar was noticed in many places, and helped a lot of folks do a lot of other work.

In the end, even folks in Germany and France appreciated Frank, in ways that even he could not understand or relate to ... which I suppose you could say is the ultimate compliment! I always thought it was funny that the Faust album has that nice comment about Frank Zappa ... and he could not relate to it, or maybe only appreciated it in quiet but his "inner circle" could not allow him to appreciate anyone else, except some obtuse composer of music that no one really paid attention to!

I do think that somewhere along the way he could/should have come down from the wording and such in his music ... but in the end, in Southern California when you are branded with a blue and pink background and a star is born, that is all you can do and will do and that's that ... and that is where Frank stayed and his trust continues to keep him there ... a faded and gone rock star!

And seeing his son play the old "hits" ... is sad ... it's like watching the Boston Pops play the Star Wars theme one more time ... it's old ... and it's not sounding better! And I'm not sure that is a good thing to help his legacy!

Edited by moshkito - April 05 2012 at 09:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 09:39
Originally posted by OT Räihälä OT Räihälä wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

What about Nue!? nobody mentioned Nue! unless I'm going blind in my old age. They were copied by everyone from Hawkwind to Bowie.

Never heard of Nue! Can't be that big influence... unless you're talking about Neu! Confused [neu] means [new] in German.

Edit:

Oh, and Moshkito: why do you always put three fullstops when one is enough? How can you afford so many? And have you thought about your carbon footprint? [Tongue in cheek mode off] It's a pain to read when there are one million needless fullstops.

Well excuse me. I think I know the meaning of the word. Anyway. If you listen to Opa-Loka off Hawkwind's Warrior On The Edge Of Time there is definitely some Neu ! influence. Lemmy even said it was drummers Alan  Powell and Simon King's idea  back in the seventies after he got sacked.

I dunno I don't think prog bands were " influenced "  by other prog bands except maybe offshoot bands like Flash. Maybe The Nice had some bearing on bands like Ekseption or Triumvirat but I don't even think that they were even listening to each other. I saw an interview with Ian Anderson back in the seventies and he came off to be only vaguely familiar with the music of Focus who occasionally could sound like JT because of Van Leer's flute. Progrock or art rock artists ( whatever you want to call them )  were influenced by other musicians outside of their early seventies phenomenom and there was a lot of original music happening back then where did bands like Gentle Giant, Gnidrolog, Egg or Soft machine find their roots? Not from prog bands Classical, medieval and Baroque composers ( particularily JS Bach ), rock groups  from the sixties primarily the Beatles and jazzmen formed the core of their "influences. The movement was even dubbed " Baroque & Roll " by someone at some point I don't think any electric guitar player can honestly say that they weren' "influenced " to some extent by Hendrix really. I just don't think any band put in ad in Melody Maker that said something like : " Hey man, ELP copycat band looking for a cat who can play keyboards exactly like Emerson man".

Marillion is another band that everyone was comparing to Genesis and other dinosaur bands back in '83. I could never understand that. I can't see anything that the two bands have in common. marillion were just a band that became popular during an era where everybody was listening to new wave and top forty crap. I dunno. I think I'll just go and bash my head against the wall for a while. You guys read too much into prog when it's not really that complex at all.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - April 05 2012 at 09:40
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 17:47
I'd say Zappa too. He really had a big influence in music in general and, most particularly, in prog.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 21:59

Marillion is another band that everyone was comparing to Genesis and other dinosaur bands back in '83. I could never understand that. I can't see anything that the two bands have in common. marillion were just a band that became popular during an era where everybody was listening to new wave and top forty crap. I dunno. I think I'll just go and bash my head against the wall for a while. You guys read too much into prog when it's not really that complex at all.

I agree entirely.  They were more influenced by Pink Floyd and Rush and this probably became even more evident once Fish left the band.  He just sort of sounded like Gabriel a bit but the music didn't have a whole lot in common with Genesis. 

As for influence in the 70s, I think some Italian prog rock bands have cited ELP as a major influence.  Triumvirat also mention ELP as an influence.  The Canterbury bands influenced each other, but that is understandable because it was a smaller scene, with the musicians shuttling between bands.  But I broadly agree that in the 70s, prog rock bands were influenced more by rock and classical music and less by other prog rock bands.
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 03:02
For me, the most influential band in prog was King Crimson, but in terms of importance, 1-2-3 (Clouds) is impossible to calculate. It would be healthy if we could seriously discuss influential bands of the 80s 90s and 00s, but it seems the legacy of the past is difficult for more recent bands to shake off.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 03:55
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I agree entirely.  They were more influenced by Pink Floyd and Rush and this probably became even more evident once Fish left the band.  He just sort of sounded like Gabriel a bit but the music didn't have a whole lot in common with Genesis. 

I disagree. They did sound similar to Genesis.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 03:58
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Take Grendel and The Web out of the equation and I don't think they did. Fish's vocal style was more influenced by Hammill than Gabriel
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 04:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Take Grendel and The Web out of the equation and I don't think they did. Fish's vocal style was more influenced by Hammill than Gabriel

I hadn't even heard Grendel and they still did. To me and most people I knew anyway. I suppose the listener hears what he wants. I heard Genesis.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 04:42

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I hadn't even heard Grendel and they still did. To me and most people I knew anyway. I suppose the listener hears what he wants. I heard Genesis.

jep, definitely Genesis
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:11
Nirvana were a very influential band.

You'll definitely see a lot more Kurt Cobain than you see Steve Howe in todays rock bands
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:32
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

When you think of the general music landscape today classic Prog actually had very little impact.

Depends on what exactly you call classic prog.  The influence of Can, Kraftwerk, KC certainly extended to non prog music.  You mentioned Kurt Cobain, I think he mentioned Red album as an influence.  I think VDGG also influenced post punk bands but that is not really my territory and I cannot support that statement with any confidence.  Oh, and I don't think Pink Floyd even needs to be mentioned. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:37

Depends on what exactly you call classic prog.  The influence of Can, Kraftwerk, KC certainly extended to non prog music.  You mentioned Kurt Cobain, I think he mentioned Red album as an influence.  I think VDGG also influenced post punk bands but that is not really my territory and I cannot support that statement with any confidence.  Oh, and I don't think Pink Floyd even needs to be mentioned. 

I wouldn't argue with KC, Can and Kraftwerk having an influence definitely. Pink Floyd either.

I think the bands that maintained elements of the early Psychedelic movement have translated best.

Symphonic prog doesn't have much of a lasting effect was mostly my point
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:43

I wouldn't argue with KC, Can and Kraftwerk having an influence definitely. Pink Floyd either.

I think the bands that maintained elements of the early Psychedelic movement have translated best.

I agree.  It may be heresy on this forum but symphonic is a rather limited concept, limited sound and of little use outside prog formats where such an epic feel is not necessary and sometimes not desirable.  So it could not have had lasting influence outside those bands that do want to carry on the symphonic sound.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:46

I agree.  It may be heresy on this forum but symphonic is a rather limited concept, limited sound and of little use outside prog formats where such an epic feel is not necessary and sometimes not desirable.  So it could not have had lasting influence outside those bands that do want to carry on the symphonic sound.

Thumbs Up
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 14:20

VdGG influenced the theatrical side of brit-pop, just listen to this:

I don't know Pulp well enough to point directly to such a blatant influence, but I'm suspecting them too.

RE symphonic prog, this does not mean a lot but there is some influence in Muse's bombastic keys.

Edited by harmonium.ro - April 06 2012 at 14:25
iamathousandapples View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 16:20
Originally posted by iamathousandapples iamathousandapples wrote:

As for influence in the 70s, I think some Italian prog rock bands have cited ELP as a major influence.  Triumvirat also mention ELP as an influence.  The Canterbury bands influenced each other, but that is understandable because it was a smaller scene, with the musicians shuttling between bands.  But I broadly agree that in the 70s, prog rock bands were influenced more by rock and classical music and less by other prog rock bands.

That's because they lost their Genesis sound over the years. Their first two albums Fish practically aped Peter Gabriel and then Marillion slowly gained their own sound.

Edited by iamathousandapples - April 06 2012 at 16:21
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 17:10
^Fish looks like Shrek

sounds like him too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>