Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marillion announce new album for late 2012
    Posted: April 02 2012 at 22:49
From Facebox:

2 April 2012 - New Album Pre-Order Campaign

After what seems like an AGE to us (and you too, no doubt!) we have decided on the songs which will comprise our next album and we can tell you that the next Marillion album will be titled...

SOUNDS THAT CAN'T BE MADE

Backing tracks are already finished and we're now at the overdub stage (or "the colouring-in"). We have song titles too, but we'll wait just a little longer before announcing those.

We are planning to create exclusive Special Editions of ’Sounds That Can’t Be Made’ which we'll be making available as a PRE-ORDER directly from us through marillion.com

Following the success of previous pre-orders, we plan to make 2 different versions available:

Option 1: Deluxe Campaign Collectors CD Edition
This version will include 128 pages of artwork & lyrics presented in a deluxe hard back book. This collectors edition will also contain an extra DVD disc featuring interviews with the band and a selection of tracks performed live at the Racket Club; all filmed during various stages of the making of the album.

You can Pre-Order the Deluxe Camapign Edition from:
http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/sounds-deluxe.htm

Option 2: The Standard 1CD Release
This version will be a 1CD Jewel case version of the album containing song lyrics & condensed album artwork.

You can Pre-Order the Standard 1CD Edition from:
http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/sounds.htm

When will it be released? What will be on it? When can I order? What about a tour?

Just like previous pre-orders, we have set up a page on our website to answer all of these questions, and will continue to add to the list as we receive feedback from you by email and on our Forum/Facebook pages.

What we CAN tell you though, is that we expect the album to be ready sometime before September 2012 (we can't set a firm release date as our creative process doesn't always run to a timetable..) with an extensive tour planned throughout 2012 and into 2013.

All the tour dates have now been announced and are up on the marillion.com TOUR section.http://www.marillion.com/tour/index.htm

From the US onwards we will perform occasional "2 nighters". These shows will have a completely different set-list across each of the 2 nights. This will happen in the following towns:
New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Amsterdam, Paris, Milan and Barcelona

We have also announced the 2013 dates for our bi-annual Marillion Weekends in Holland, Montreal and the UK! Seewww.marillionweekend.com for more details.

Phew! We hope we'll see a lot of each other over the coming months.

Okay, back to Sounds That Can't Be Made......

You are able to pre-order the album NOW, and each pre-order for the Deluxe Campaign CD Edition will automatically enter you into a variety of prize draws including:

Sound-check/ front row passes to the 'Sounds That Can’t Be Made' tour, Meet-and-greets, Signed artwork, Your own private Marillion gig PLUS more as we think of them!
Only the first 5000 people to pre-order will appear in the thanks list. (We would thank you all, but we'd need a bigger booklet!)

By being part of the ’Sounds That Can’t be Made’ Pre-Order Campaign you will once again be acting as our "Record Company" by contributing to the recording, manufacture and marketing of the album. 
We'd rather make this album with you. We did it before and it was great. When we skipped the pre-order for Somewhere Else we know that many of you felt disappointed that you weren’t part of the ‘whole process’. So it's no longer about the money, it's about the taking-part and a show of faith. This, frankly, blows our minds, and your support means more to us now than ever.

We meet so many bands who are envious of our amazing family around the world and we certainly don't take this for granted. We now find ourselves famous for the "Marillion business model" which is a scream, really, because the term debases what's really going on. We thank you all for being a part of this thing in the past; just as we gratefully acknowledge everyone who will preorder this forthcoming album.

So there you go - the new pre-order!

If you have any QUESTIONS, please, PLEASE go tohttp://www.marillion.com/preorder/index.htm (where most issues will already be 
addressed) before writing to us - it'll be quicker. You can also join the discussions on the Marillion Online Forums (which we constantly monitor) if you have any outstanding queries.

We're very excited about this album - it's taken us some years to ensure it's something special. We hope over the next few weeks and months to thank you for your loyalty - we will try and keep updating you regularly with updates from the studio; both by email and in our new Racket TV Lounge (http://www.marillion.com/tvlounge.htm) on the new and fabulous marillion.com website!

It won't be long, yeah..

h, Ian, Mark, Pete, Steve

You can Pre-Order the Deluxe Camapign Edition from:
http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/sounds-deluxe.htm

You can Pre-Order the Standard 1CD Edition from:
http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/sounds.htm
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 23:02
I like the name at least.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 05:53
Pre-ordered!
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 15:25
Sounds good! I can't wait
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Yeevia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Spammy New Year

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 05:26
Allow me to congratulate you on the arrival of the New Year and to extend to you all my best wishes for your perfect health and lasting prosperity. 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 12:53
Originally posted by Yeevia Yeevia wrote:

Allow me to congratulate you on the arrival of the New Year and to extend to you all my best wishes for your perfect health and lasting prosperity. 

No, we won't. Naff off and kindly spam elsewhere.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
JAGColaço View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 14:57
Wuhuuu!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 12:20
So the first single of the album was released today. Sounds pretty solid, here's the video of it:

Edited by Passionist - July 17 2012 at 12:46
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 15:12
There is a Marillion discussion thread for such things:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 16:41
Very well, though it was a press release related to the announcement of the new album.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 01:13
No vinyl edition.......Cry
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 01:31
Starting to get interested in Marillion again so I might get it (probably wait for the reviews first)
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 16:37
With each release, they get further and further away from their prog roots. I find this aspect of the band disappointing. I won't be getting the new album. Marbles was incredibly overrated IMHO. The last album they released that even make my ears perk up was Brave and this was released in what 1994? I keep hoping that each new Marillion album will be interesting, but most of them have been dull and lifeless. Where's the fire? Where's the passion? Where's the drive in the music?

Edited by Mirror Image - July 18 2012 at 16:37
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 16:52
^ That's why its called neo-prog. Deep emotional content, lyrics that can be depressing at times and music that is more dramatic than the flare for long instrumental jamming a la Flower Kings .
But I can see your point, most of what they have been doing has been very UK pop music inspired or related.....not full on prog....

Lazy can probably explain it better than I can.

I still like it.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 17:04
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

With each release, they get further and further away from their prog roots. I find this aspect of the band disappointing. I won't be getting the new album. Marbles was incredibly overrated IMHO. The last album they released that even make my ears perk up was Brave and this was released in what 1994? I keep hoping that each new Marillion album will be interesting, but most of them have been dull and lifeless. Where's the fire? Where's the passion? Where's the drive in the music?

Not liking Porcupine Tree, not liking Marbles, I'm not quite sure you enjoy any modern prog, do you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 17:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ That's why its called neo-prog. Deep emotional content, lyrics that can be depressing at times and music that is more dramatic than the flare for long instrumental jamming a la Flower Kings .
But I can see your point, most of what they have been doing has been very UK pop music inspired or related.....not full on prog....

I still like it.

I really dislike The Flower Kings. Just thought I would throw that out there. Big smile Back on topic, I suppose the neo-prog label hurt them more than anything, but I've never been a big fan of this style anyway. I remember hearing IQ or was it Twelfth Night right around the time I discovered Marillion and thinking if this is the direction so-called "progressive" rock music is heading in, I'm in for quite a long series of disappointments.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 18 2012 at 17:06
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 17:11
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Not liking Porcupine Tree, not liking Marbles, I'm not quite sure you enjoy any modern prog, do you?

Why would you say I don't enjoy modern progressive music? Because I dismissed Porcupine Tree and Marillion's Marbles? First, we must examine what makes Porcupine Tree a progressive rock band, because if they're considered a prog band then Willie Nelson should be considered prog as well.

What I do like: symphonic progressive, jazz fusion, Canterbury, some progressive metal, and outside of these styles I like the genres of classical and jazz. 

Edited by Mirror Image - July 18 2012 at 17:11
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 17:56

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I still like it.

I really dislike The Flower Kings. Just thought I would throw that out there. Big smile Back on topic, I suppose the neo-prog label hurt them more than anything, but I've never been a big fan of this style anyway. I remember hearing IQ or was it Twelfth Night right around the time I discovered Marillion and thinking if this is the direction so-called "progressive" rock music is heading in, I'm in for quite a long series of disappointments.

Marillion have not sounded like this for at least 20 years, maybe longer.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 18:07
If you want to equate Marillion with bands musicians w**king about on their respective instruments (which is what I have gather "progressive" actually means in my 7 years on this website) you're going to be disappointed. The musicianship is there, but the desire to have an emotional impact and good songwriting is just as strong. So, you'll find they play rock music usually, but if you come in looking for insecure displays of proficiency, you'll be disappointed. Looks for grooves, lyrics, and tones.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 23:50

Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Why would you say I don't enjoy modern progressive music? Because I dismissed Porcupine Tree and Marillion's Marbles? First, we must examine what makes Porcupine Tree a progressive rock band, because if they're considered a prog band then Willie Nelson should be considered prog as well.

What I do like: symphonic progressive, jazz fusion, Canterbury, some progressive metal, and outside of these styles I like the genres of classical and jazz. 

I do consider most of what Porcupine Tree do as having progressive attributes, I don't want to get into a "what defines prog...." discussion.
But also most of what I hear Marillion do also has progressive attributes. Marbles to me is absolutely brilliant!!!

ClapClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>