FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion announce new album for late 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 00:13
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

If you want to equate Marillion with bands musicians w**king about on their respective instruments (which is what I have gather "progressive" actually means in my 7 years on this website) you're going to be disappointed. The musicianship is there, but the desire to have an emotional impact and good songwriting is just as strong. So, you'll find they play rock music usually, but if you come in looking for insecure displays of proficiency, you'll
be disappointed. Looks for grooves, lyrics, and tones.

As I mentioned to another forum member, I probably need to revisit Marillion's later albums, which includes Marbles. Can say I honestly gave it two listens all the way through and never listened to it again. Thankfully, opinions can change after some much needed time apart from the music. This happened to me a lot with classical composers. I had to learn to be patient and not expect instant gratification because right around the corner was some very explosive, emotional music. I suppose I just like to hear the music take over and is something, as a listener, I'm wanting to hear in Marillion. I should just step back and listen to the music on it's own terms.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 00:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I do consider most of what Porcupine Tree do as having progressive attributes, I don't want to get into a "what defines prog...." discussion.
But also most of what I hear Marillion do also has progressive attributes. Marbles to me is absolutely brilliant!!!

ClapClapClap

I'm going to be revisiting Marbles soon. I'll definitely let you know if my opinion has changed.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 01:16
Recently got Marillion.Best.Live which is a 2 CD compilation of Marillion's live shows from the Hogarth era. Strangely it hasn't been added to PA especially strange as its a briliant set and a very nice package. Anyone else got it?
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 13:15
Bravo Stonebeard!!! Progressive rock is not limited to needless soloing and trying to sound complex for complexity sake!! Some newer prog bands could learn from Marillion as far as songwriting and emotion goes!!
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 18:39
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I do consider most of what Porcupine Tree do as having progressive attributes, I don't want to get into a "what defines prog...." discussion.
But also most of what I hear Marillion do also has progressive attributes. Marbles to me is absolutely brilliant!!!

ClapClapClap

I'm going to be revisiting Marbles soon. I'll definitely let you know if my opinion has changed.

Marbles is my absolute favorite Marillion album. 
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 21:22
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Bravo Stonebeard!!! Progressive rock is not limited to needless soloing and trying to sound complex for complexity sake!! Some newer prog bands could learn from Marillion as far as songwriting and emotion goes!!

Who said anything about needless soloing? I wouldn't call Steve Rothery's or Andy Latimer's solos needless, would you? Also it's not about being "complex," it's about playing music well. I listen to progressive rock because the musicians are of a higher caliber than any other style under rock music. If I want to listen to "clever" little pop songs, I'll listen to The Police who excelled in doing this kind of rock music. Anyway, my general point is that people listen to certain genres for certain reasons. I hold high standards and it seems that the 70s produced most of the progressive rock groups that I admire the most. It's not about complicated time signatures or unusual song structures for me, it's about what I connect to. You like Marillion? Well that's great, I do too. In the end, I just look for different things in music just like anyone else. Now go and get your prog on! Cool 
Genghis Ron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 19:26
Sounds That Can't Be Made. Well, I'm hoping it's better than Happiness is The Road (Both).
As a long time Marillion fan I must say this. It's not that the newer songs are bad or anything like that, it's more like they're not mixed as well as some others. IMHO. The recorded versions of The Man From Planet Marzipan, Asylum satelite #1, Essence, and Happiness is The Road all sound.... sort of flat, lifeless, and unexiting. Again, IMHO. However, if you checkout the live versions of these songs (DVD, Marillion.com/racket records) you'll get a completely different experience.  Their live performances are powerful, dynamic and intense! WAY INTENSE! Especially those new songs.  Somehow, that leads me to believe that maybe it's the mix, not the performance.

Afraid of Sunlight is one of my favorite Marillion albums. The live version is WAY (CD only) better than the recorded version.

Available on iTunes (I think?)

So, for me, the question is, If they're so capable of such great performances, why do the newer albums sound so flat?

Genghis Ron
Wonder woman draw your blind, don't look at me I'm not your kind. I'm Rael!
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 00:13
Giving it listen #1.  I'm digging it.  The interview promo they released a few months back sold me on it.
A fun place to review and discuss metal: MetalMusicArchives
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12