Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRamleh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramleh
    Posted: April 04 2012 at 21:10
For Prog Electronic.

Ramleh is one of the first noise/droning/indus bands. They came into being in the early eighties. Their sound is very similar to artists like M.B. and 80's Lustmord.

Edited by Sheavy - April 04 2012 at 21:11
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 04:24
^ Definitely not fit for Prog Electronic in PA, via their samples above (drone noise simply, as you've said). 

Edited by DamoXt7942 - April 05 2012 at 04:25
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 16:25
It says in the PE definition that droning is part of their scope. Confused

Edited by Sheavy - April 05 2012 at 16:25
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 20:11
I'll bring these guys to the PET, but Sheavy, cool it with the PE suggestions. Not only can I not check all of them so quickly but you're swamping the electronic boys.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 20:58
Embarrassed sorry.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 13:34
Sorry for the late feedback Sheavy, but we both turned this one down a long time ago. I'll be sure to better the updates in these types of thingsEmbarrassed
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 21:07
Just gotta ask this, but it just seems to me that a lot of these early Indus/Ambient/Noise bands (Thinking of Kapotte Muziek, Ramleh, Controlled Bleeding, Zoviet France, Big City Orchestra, etc..) should have a place here, since they're contemporaries with other pioneering late 70's early 80's Indus/Ambient/Noise projects like M.B., Lustmord, Vidna Obmana, Asmus Tietchens,Throbbing Gristle, etc...?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 02:21
I understand your confusion, but the thing is that both Philippe and myself have decided on being very choosy about these sorts of projects. Yes we've included a couple of these artists because we think they were, in some cases that is, part of this movement, but as much as we'd like it, they're still a very long ways from being what PE is all about. If we start including all of these artists, we'd be changing the perimeters of the PA genre to something completely different.
It may be progressive, but that doesn't mean it fits in here. If so, we would have The Future Sound of London, Orbital, Trentemoller and Infected Mushroom up in here.
Please take into consideration what Philippe has written on the front-page of PE and do try to look further than the small notion of droning.

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 15 2012 at 02:25
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 10:15
Their late releases are focused on psychedelic rock. And there's some avant/psych prog tracks. Better check it out once again.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 11:22
Originally posted by VOTOMS VOTOMS wrote:

Their late releases are focused on psychedelic rock. And there's some avant/psych prog tracks. Better check it out once again.
Indeed, surely this album might come closer:
sorta krauty
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 11:38
exactly, there are many "sorta krauty" works by them. i heard their whole discography and i'm saying, they're able to progarchives. plus, i want them in.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 14:21
In France, we say that polite people don't say "I want", but rather "I would like". Clown

Anyways, that's the same old problem with industrial bands: too far from the rock tradition, too radical from the 70's electronic music (even from Faust or Neu!)...
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 16:18
Oh sorry, I would like then. I'm not american or english neither, i'm just throwing up my words. 

Well, that's an industrial thing, as you said. Other hand, I always remember Zappa interview to MTV saying that progressive music is a definition term for something you can't classify because it's too far from "normal". Did he mean "avant-garde/experimental music"? Not really. I understand what he was saying. And we have the application here. Is it Ramleh something like "wow, they're a progressive band"? Never. Do they fit into progressive music genre? Totally, in my opinion. Lenghty concept songs (8-30 minutes) with that "krautrock" kind of experimental variations, rock and electronic instrumentation + creative (or destructive) sound tools.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 22:39
They've never been evaluated by psych/space so I'll add them to the chart, but I doubt them belonging here at all. Obviously different than what I thought three years ago. All of the 80's releases are essentially power electronics/noise (some of the best), the album Grudge For Life is noise rock with vaguely psychedelic touches from what I remember. Blowhole and Homeless I think fall into the same category but I haven't heard much from either album. Be Careful What You Wish For is certainly the most promising followed by Boeing which returns a bit to the noise rock but with much more of a psychedelic approach, and then Valediction is a return to the power electronics sound.

I have to disagree that later works were focused on psych rock. I think it's much more focused on noise rock, the exception being BCWYWF. Much of their 90's noise rock did have quite a bit of psychedelic and kraut influence, but it's not the same thing.

I highly doubt it'll fly especially seeing as Skullflower, which shared members with Ramleh, had some releases on Ramleh's label, and was much more convincing as krautrock influenced psychedelic rock imho, were rejected.

Edited by Sheavy - June 09 2015 at 22:47
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 04:44
https://crucialblast.bandcamp.com/album/circular-time

the new album is a psych/kraut/blackmetal piece, certainly sure that you can add them to the progarchives now!

UP!
 Post Reply Post Reply