Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhi - Modern Prog from Austria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phi - Modern Prog from Austria
    Posted: April 08 2012 at 09:04
Hi everybody!

I think it's about time that I opened a thread about the Austrian newcomer band phi. I hope that a lot of people here get to listen to them, as I think it's one of the very best new bands out there.

Maybe the main thing that I like about their music is the perfect fusion of complex and catchy. Here's a band that writes complex songs with lots of syncopation and odd-meters, as well as unusual harmonic structures without forgetting their rock'n'roll roots. It never sounds "attempted", never too "out there", it's not complexity for the sake of being complex, but because it fits the song. Here's a band that switches between hard/loud and soft/quiet without losing power. A band with parts that sound emotive and fragile without ever getting kitschy.
Where many other young prog bands have problems to go out and find an audience except for the few people normally interested in that kind of music, Phi play concerts regularly in Austria's two biggest cities Graz and Vienna, as well as everywhere in between, for large and enthusiastic audiences (winning multiple band contests while doing so). They have played around 40 gigs in 2011 alone, four of them finales of band contests. It's hard to point out the highlights with all three of them being highly accomplished instrumentalists, whatever instrument you focus on plays interesting and witty parts. What captivates most people (especially non-musicians) live, however, seems to be the outstanding voice of Markus Bratusa. I think it's also important to point out that they're not only good, but that they're constantly getting better. I've followed them for a few years now, and nearly every new song they come up with seems to be better than what they have done before.

But enough of the words, listen for yourself Smile

From their 2012 EP "The Deflowering Of Reality":

A HQ live clip from 2011, opening at the Stadtfest in Graz

From their 2011 album "For The Love Of Ghosts" (the only song from that album that I found on youtube.

Their singer and guitarist performing Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, doing a guest appearance with Hallucination Company, a well-known Viennese Rock music theater/band founded in 1977

You can listen to all of their music on bandcamp and their website, and you can also find them on facebook and myspace. Both courrent CD's are available as hardcopies, the first release is courrently out of press but can still be listened to here, along with some nice live versions of their music. If you like what you hear you can buy their new EP for 6€ there, which seems to be quite a nice deal Smile

Have fun and let me know you what you think of them!

"I want you to know that you and I... are not all that different. I mean, I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine."
-Friends
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 13:22
Great stuff!! - No problem adding these guys, I wouldn't think. Just depends now on whether they are considered as Prog Metal or Heavy Prog by the guys who carry out the evaluations, since there are elements of both sub genres in their music. I would have thought Heavy Prog, on balance, since the Metal aspects are not all that prominent when you consider the music as a whole. Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - April 08 2012 at 13:39
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 13:26

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 13:35
Whoops! Didn't know they were already being evaluated! - I did a search in the forum first and found nothing - I guess this was a band that was recommended for inclusion via the CZ.  Embarrassed  I certainly agree with the move from Metal to Heavy though - can't really see how they can not be added there to be honest. Excellent music indeed!!
Desert_Storm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 14:16
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Great stuff!! - No problem adding these guys, I wouldn't think.

glad you like them Smile

Quote Just depends now on whether they are considered as Prog Metal or Heavy Prog by the guys who carry out the evaluations, since there are elements of both sub genres in their music. I would have thought Heavy Prog, on balance, since the Metal aspects are not all that prominent when you consider the music as a whole. Thumbs Up

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I mean it has quite some metal elements in it, but it doesn't really sound like metal. Also, seing a live trio whith a guitarist who plays a telecaster doesn't really leave the impression of a metal concert Wink

Quote Whoops! Didn't know they were already being evaluated!

I got that link too when I wrote an admin about it. I decided to open this thread anyway because the admin wrote that doing that would be the normal process. Also, I think (and hope ;) ) that this way some more people will notice the band than if they would be just evaluated by a team and then added. In addition to that, I don't really know how to interpret that list, like whether it's a good sign that some things happened quite fast and than nothing anymore for a longer time.

Quote can't really see how they can not be added there to be honest. Excellent music indeed!!

100% agree Smile
"I want you to know that you and I... are not all that different. I mean, I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine."
-Friends
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 14:48
Originally posted by Desert_Storm Desert_Storm wrote:

I got that link too when I wrote an admin about it. I decided to open this thread anyway because the admin wrote that doing that would be the normal process. Also, I think (and hope ;) ) that this way some more people will notice the band than if they would be just evaluated by a team and then added. In addition to that, I don't really know how to interpret that list, like whether it's a good sign that some things happened quite fast and than nothing anymore for a longer time.

Absolutely agree here! I think that all evaluations initiated in the CZ zone should also be aired in the public forums so that rank & file members can get to hear these prospective new bands from the outset, rather than by discovering them on the off chance after they had been added (assuming they were added of course - those that were rejected would simply disappear into oblivion...or at least until another member suggested them, not realising that they had already been evaluated and rejected...) The progfreak charts are a great way for us members to follow evaluations on here - unfortunately only about half the teams use them. Unhappy
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 17:32
We'll be getting to you guys in the near future. Smile
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 17:34
^yep

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 07:37
Well then, I just saw that I didn't enter their facebook page and thought that it might be a good idea to do so, since it's not that easy to find.

Also, while I'm at it, phi is featured on Prog Sphere Promotions' new Progstravaganza Compilation Of Awesomeness. What a great name for a sampler Wink

Edited by Desert_Storm - April 09 2012 at 07:38
-Friends
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 15:28
Here's a new and detailed interview with singer/guitarist Markus Bratusa, done by prog-sphere.com, regarding their featuring on the new progstra-vaganza sampler.

Quite nice to read about the history and ambitions of the band.

Have fun:
http://progstravaganza.prog-sphere.com/phi-a-band-without-compromises/

By the way, to those in charge, how is the evaluation going on? I would be glad to write a review or two :)
-Friends
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 03:01
You can check how the evaluation is going yourself at any time you like by following the progfreak link that Rivertree gave us 7 posts back: http://progfreak.com/Phi-152559.html?path=pa/recent.

You will see a chart very much like this:

Most recent votes will be at the top of the list. At the moment there have been no votes cast since the move from Prog Metal to Heavy (the blue arrows above are votes for 'move').

If you click on the blue 'Heavy' link just above the 'Subscribe to RSS Feed' symbol in the above chart, you will be taken to another chart which looks like this (note: if you do this from the progfreak site itself the layout of the links is slightly different to that shown above - the blue 'Heavy' link will be at the right hand side of a group of four on the same line rather than on a line all on its own, but it will still be immediately above the RSS Feed link - for some reason the copy and paste operation to add the chart here alters the layout by adding a 'carriage return' after each link):

Phi

HPMSCArtistanWhboNiInRetiredSection
HomepageatPhi Heavy Prog Chart: New

The bottom line will fill up with symbols as the votes are cast by the five current members of the team. There is also a list on the right hand side of this page which explains what all the voting symbols mean:

ie.

Chart Voting Symbols
Yes
Prog-Related
No
Need Time
Unsure
Abstain
Move

It's all very easy to follow once you get used to it - there is also a list below this one explaining what the symbol in the final column of the 'Heavy' chart means...in this case, the grey cog with a yellow blob on it means 'new' (band has just been added to the chart, no - or too few - votes cast).

Simples!!  Tongue

Edited by yam yam - April 17 2012 at 03:15
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 18:50
We're slowly getting through our chart, but in the next voting cycle I'll add your band to our priorities. Thumbs Up
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 18:07
Just so you know, Phi has been cleared, and we're just waiting on a bio. Smile
You guys could either give us time and we can write one or one of you could draft one to expedite the process. 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 18:09
Clap Fantastic album indeed ... very cool.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 02:02
Their album is on ProgStreaming now :)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 04:31
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

We're slowly getting through our chart, but in the next voting cycle I'll add your band to our priorities
Just so you know, Phi has been cleared, and we're just waiting on a bio. Smile
You guys could either give us time and we can write one or one of you could draft one to expedite the process. 

Hey, great to hear that!
The most up to date one is probably found on facebook, look here and click "see more", another one is on their website , just click information.

Just so you know, it's not my band, I'm not in it. It sounded like there could be a misunderstanding.

So long!

Edited by Desert_Storm - May 09 2012 at 04:34
-Friends
 Post Reply Post Reply