Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOhmphrey - Posthaste

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ohmphrey - Posthaste
    Posted: April 09 2012 at 08:38

I just picked up the mp3 version of Ohmphrey's new album POSTHASTE and it is highly recommended. For those unfamiliar with the band, it is a side project of Jam Band Umphrey's McGee and Heavy Fusion Trio Ohm: featuring Chris Poland, one of the most unique guitarists currently active.

Posthaste is the 2nd album by the project and it's a huge step up in quality. The first album literally was just cuts from 2 days of jamming, Though it was quite good, the band created more realized compositions for this record and the result is really good. Despite my fanboyism of Poland, he is actually really restained and the strength of this album has little to do with his technique.

What makes this album great is that the 5 guys gel so well and they're having a blast playing. It also helps that they're all amazing at their instruments.

What I didn't see coming at all was that there is a pretty big King Crimson influence on this album. The opening track is really heavy, and sound more like Fripp than anything either band has done before.

Anyway, check it out, I think most on this site will at least enjoy the album.

OHMphrey Posthaste album cover
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:35
This sounds great. Horray
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 09:24
I have just downloaded it, before buying, and it sounds good but didn't grab me just yet. Looking forward to listening to it again more closely.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 13:23
I'd like to check this out before I purchase. Their first album was OK, but seemed rushed and just had a lot of rock improv with jazz tendencies, but seemed to go nowhere. If it's more composed, then I'm more interested, since everyone involved are great musicians.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 14:03

I believe Magna Carta records has samples up.

Now that I've listened for a bit, the "OMG this is the world's best album" has worn off.

It's a definite step up from the debut album. Wider appeal, especially for proggies.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
 Post Reply Post Reply